1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Values of Tricked-out Model 12's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darryl101, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Values of Tricked-out Model 12

I have been seeing more tricked out Model 12's as of late. Tricked out for trapshooting. The last couple I saw were Heavy Duck models. Both had extra fancy wood but only one had checkering. $500 would have bought the one without checkering and $650 would have made you the owner of the other. I have seen others recently that were pre-64 trap models (unmarked as such) for around the $500 mark.

I keep telling myself that this type of gun will be the kind to go up in value. What do you think?

The person who tricked it out back in the 50's or 60's spent all of $500 getting it the way he wanted it.

Darryl Howard

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Buy all you can get for that money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Quite a few at the Ohio State shoot for sale.

Problem is most I have seen are rough condition.

Jaqua has a nice all engraved one for 4400.

Price seems to have dropped on less desirable ones.

Did look at a 2 pin milled rib that had possibilities that I probably could buy for around 650-675.

Regards....Gerald

4. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

What is the skinny on the "donut post" ribs? Are they a Winchester factory rib? Are they more valuable?

Darryl

5. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I like guns..........period. But they have to be pretty and funtional. If they go up in value, so much the better. Guns are a SOLID investment no matter how you slice it. They are as liquid of an investment you can make that you can appreciate as long as you own them. Petting gold or silver really didn't cut it for me......I tried it. I would much rather own a nice model 12, 41, 71, 14, etc. But that's just me.

You go pet your gold when it hits $400 and see how much fun that is.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Like land and water there are only so many Model 12's and thats it ... The gun is a classic as far as style and shooting ... I have never seen a bad Model 12, just some nicer and better than others ... The Winchester Model 12 is truly an American Classic and once the ones in existance are gone they are gone forever ... Its probably just me but they look better everytime I look at them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Darryl.....those heavy duck models are ideal for pot and meat shoots!

They are heavier and soak up more of the "special" loads...plu...they are choked to pattern best at 60/70 yards.

8. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

My dad had a heavy duck........original model with a solid rib. If I remember right it said Super-X Super-peed 3". It felt pretty danged nice. Every time he brought it out he told me about the time he could have had a Heavy Duck model 23 for about $700.

I think that is the biggest reason I am hopelessly addicted to guns. There are always memories attached to them. Some come with the gun. Others you make yourself and lastly the ones you are leaving.

Darryl

ps-can anyone tell me how I can keep my cursor from eating my text?? I must have leaned on a button or some damn thing and now it's giving me fits. I can't go back and fix the Super-peed without losing everything. Uff da!

9. hunter870

hunter870 Member

So does anyone think that in 80 years or so, we'll ask the same question about 870 Wingmasters?

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

An investment ? If you purchased a very nice M12 in 1970 for $350 and you expected only 5% return on your investment you would have to sell it today for $2,346.66 (rounded to the nearest year, not daily interest).

Pat Ireland

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The big question, I think, with model 12's and their "collector value" is this. Will the next generation of shooters hold them in as high regard as the current generation?

Lots of guys either buy them "because Dad had one" or because they had one in their youth.

But the next generation may not have that sentimental value attached to this model.

And as we get older and hang on to those guns, I wonder in 20 years if they'll be worth much, except to a very select few collectors.

12. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Most of these "quality" older guns will never lose value. Models 1911, 21, 97, 29, 94 are all examples. Mr. President has been doing a very good job of keeping gun values rising (almost daily) and with a commodity such as firearms, values seldom fall to their prior levels. The model 70 scare may be an exception though.

Darryl

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

While the experts are here,,,,what is the difference in the "Y" model, or other models? What does "2 pin" mean? What is the "donut" post?

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I saw nice Model 12's go for 1000.00 in the 80's.....their still a 1000.00 gun today.

As far as guns still going up.......Just FYI certain Colt AR's that would bring 2000.00 have lost 800.00 so far this year. Never believe anything you hear...Model 12's are selling for almost the same money as they did in the 1980's......Now being just a village idiot that would seem like a net loss.

Heads up though..... Metallic Cartridge ammo is loosening up....Get out and shoot that that you paid too much for so you'll be ready when the cheap ammo hits the shelves

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

We shoot M12's for the same reason that people love the smell of fired Federal papers...it can't be explained, it's just done.

Wayne

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Fishguts, I have owned a bunch of trapguns, and have to say the Mod 12 has to be among the very best pointing shotguns ever made. I do have a tricked out($1700 in trick work) Olympic ribbed Mod 12 that has been very good to me, only problem is 3 dram handicap loads through it are brutal. J.W.

17. Simmons guns

Simmons guns TS Member

With all the model 12's and model 42's we have ribbed in our lifetime we still get them stock all the time.
    There's nothing like a well worn model 12, used where the finish is mostly a memory and the wood has a smell like no other, well oiled with a hint of smoke.
    As times have changed the repairs have become more involved but to keep one of these running, with me it's worth the extra work and the cost can be worked on.
    Budgets are tight, work has slowed for some parts here but repairs are still comming in.
    It's easier to fix it than buy new for most of our customers but all of it's fun.
    After doing this for this long i have learned there's nothing that can't be done to keep these working and looking great.
    Thank you guys out there that have had us rebuild your model 12's and 42's, i really does meen something with me. Paul Salchow, Simmons.

18. BudLight

BudLight Member

Paul, Thank you for responding and for all the great work you've done to keep these guns in the field and on the trap range!!! Ron

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I like my Super x1...

20. Simmons guns

Simmons guns TS Member

The style of some on the older custom work is what's fun to look at for me.
    What was "new and improved" in the 60's, 70's and 80's for add-on's and custom trends might not be worth as much money wise but the history is priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tricked out winchester model 12