1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I am getting a custom stock done for my 682 Gold E. The stock, forearm are 99.9% (can't say 100 I guess as it is "used"). No handling marks and w/o hardware in the forearm. I had Greg Hissem install a Gracoil reducer w/o lop adjustment w/Kickeez pad and the comb has his hardware in it. I shot it 300 times before I had to have some of Gordy's wood.

All pieces "brand new" would be $1195. What would a "reasonable" price be for the package?

Thanks for your help.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

682 stock and forearm used? 300 max but it might actually be less with the graco

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

So the Graco and comb hardware are worthless? Guess I will just keep it. I know if I buy another gun that I will custom fit, will buy w/o wood.

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

bigdogtx:
    I've been finding out that guns, and their parts, are like cars. They depreciate quickly. Unless you bought the gun for a steal it's very hard to recover your initial cost. I'm finding out that guns that are 10 years old or less don't hold their value. Dave T.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

DTrykow, that is not exactly correct. If one were to have purchased a brand new in the box bt-99 in 1969, it would have cost about 250.00. Today the same gun would run about 6 to 8 hundred bucks, depending on condition. A new Remington 3200 bought when they first came out were $499.00. Today that same gun is about 11 to 15 hundred bucks. A bt-99 that was bought a couple years ago for say 700 is still worth 700. If you get a decent gun at a decent price, you should not lose money. BUT, you can't consider that add ons like combs, recoil reducing units and such to add that much to the cost when you go to resale. It just does not work like that. Besides, that 1100.00 some odd dollar brand new price is the msrp. Just like buying a new car, the sticker price may be $25,000.00 but you would have to be a fool to pay that price. I sold a Ljutic stock on here last year for a friend and it sold for about $650.00. It had a soft touch on it that probably cost someone that much plus the stock itself would have run around 300.00 more. Now, could have it been sold for 950? I would doubt it very much. Say you buy a brand new bt99 today, about 1200 bucks or so, now you add a good recoil pad, 50 bucks, good adjustable comb, 150.00, maybe you have tie forcing cones done, say a hundred. Now, you want to sell it the very next day, is it now a 1500.00 gun? Of course not. It is a used and now modified gun. Should have bought the used one for 7 bills.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.