1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of Winchester 74 ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Jun 30, 2013.

1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I admit it, I have no blue book and know little about the price of .22 rifles.

I was looking through my safe and found a nearly-forgotten model 74 that I bought from an old retired farmer years ago. He was scared to death that his grandkids would find it and kill themselves. After warning me repeatedly about the danger of guns, he sold it to me.

The gun is in good shape...not mint, mind you, but decent. I found on-line that it is a 1952-produced rifle.

I don't have a blue book and internet browsing has prices all over the place.

Any ballpark ideas as to value?

Thanks, Denny

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I'll $5 give you.

jim brown

3. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Either side of $250.00.

4. The Literalist

Thanks, Whiz-bang. :)

Jim: Did you save a copy of that skeeters square dance thing I wrote?

And no, $5 won't work. I'm afraid I'd never get it from you.

5. jim brown

Although it was a classic I somehow let it slip through my fingers. As to the $5 the check is in the mail.

jim brown

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I will assume it's a Long Rifle with that being said $200-$250 Short only add $50.

7. jim brown

Absolutely!! And I will make him a heck of a deal too. Send me the gun, a brick of shells and $100. I'll do her up right and get it back as soon as I can.

jim brown

8. The Literalist

Oh, you think I'm a sucker, eh?

Well, I'll have you know I recall earlier customers got a free turkey with the deal. I ain't fallin' for a hundred and a brick of shells...without you including a turkey!!

9. jim brown

Lit; sorry but I am all out of turkeys. Hal found that my cyro treatment would keep his K-80s from blowin to hell so I had to throw all my turkeys out of the old frigidaire to make room for all those K-80s. I do havo one nice goose I was planing on fixin for the 4th. Guess I could eat beer brats instead. Tell you what ill do. You send me your gun, a brick is shells and 100 bucks and I'll give you a goose.

jim brown

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL !!!!!

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

What? you quit trap shooting and aren't pulling in those big payouts that all the bigdogs get, so now you have to sell off all your guns?

Poor Denny.

Rick in MT

12. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Winchester 74
    .22 S or LR (introduced in 1940) cal., tubular mag. in stock, pop-out bolt assembly. Approx. 406,574 mfg. between 1939-1955. Distinguishable by squared-off rear receiver.

View Historic Prices

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $295 $250 $215 $175 $150 $125 $70

Add 25% for .22 Short cal. (mfg. 1939-1952).
    Mike Battista

13. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I collect Winchester .22's, and own 3 Model 74's. They were made to compete with the Remington 550, which is a much better design. A few things to watch for on the M74:

Do NOT dry fire the gun. It has a 6" long firing pin that is prone to bending and/or breakage. Replacements from Numrich Arms are nearly 50 bucks!

These guns do not, as a rule, function well with hi-speed hollow point ammo. Standard velocity solid point 40 gr. loads seem to work the best.

There are a couple of good disassembly videos on You Tube that should be required watching before attempting to tear down and clean a 74. The bolt comes out quite easily (pops out). Reassembly is the problem. One little part out of place or alignment and you spend the next few hours inventing new four letter words. That all having been said, if you just remove the bolt and give it a quick cleaning/lubing every brick of ammo or so, you should be fine. There is usually no need to disassemble the bolt further for cleaning.

Good luck.

14. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Wow.... a Winchester Model 74...

I grew up shooting a Model 74 (shorts only) .22. It became mine at the tender age of 9 years old out on that remote Texas farm. It didn't always fire without with out one of the shorts hanging up, but it sure was accurate. I learned to shoot coke bottles out of the air that my Father pitched up for me with that gun... (until his passing when I was barely 14).

Years later when I was in my late 30's some SOB broke into my house and stole my old gun and some other valuables...but nothing so dear to me as the old .22 my Father taught me to shoot with.

They are great guns in my opinion...should you want to sell it, I'd be interested.

Best regards...Stan

15. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

To say that Denny was good, well guys, that is an understatement, Denny as a youth was a shooting marvel, and that is from numerous "non-Bsing" sources. One source would have been our late friend Bob Houdek. Scott

16. pfofml

pfofml Member

The Win 74 was my first rifle. Very rerilable. In the cold of winter it would not function well. I found that if the action were free of oil it would cycle without problems. Cottontail rabbits did like that gun. Traded it for a new 10-22.
    Peter

17. jim brown

Lit, let me know. The 4th is coming fast and if you ain't goin to do the deal I am going to cook your goose.

jim brown

18. jim brown

Lit, that does it! Tomorrow is the 4th. Your goose is cooked!

jim brown