1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of starter pistols ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by need to shoot more, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hi Everbody,
    My neighbor comes over to me carring a bag like there is a dead animal in it I take a look and two small guns are inside turns out they are starter pistols 22 cal made in Itialy 1950's one has a serial # the other does not. I told her I would clean them up and return them to her and I did.
    I go on gun broker and there is a single German made for a $100.00 bid any thoughts on my neighbors items?
    Thank you,
    Jim Z

2. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

As a former high school track starter I can tell you a .22 caliber starter pistol is not worth much, if anything. The problem is they are not loud enough and do not give off smoke on the report. Some coaches use them for practice starts.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Unless they are old H&R's generally not worth much.

Italian made of that era weren't much to attract attention.

I generally find them for $25 or so. The h&r's can bring several $100.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

About worthless

Gene

5. DONNE

DONNE Member

We use .22 blank starters in early bird dog training and some AKC hunt test and field trials. Some of those old Italian guns are not .22 but 6mm. They will not accept the .22 blanks. Too long. As said before , they are not worth much especially if they are the semi-auto frame. If they are revolvers , there may be some interest in them. The top of the line is the old H&R blank guns that are not made anymore. Close second is the Alpha for around $190. If she wants to try to unload them , I'd suggest contacting a local dog club and see if there is any interest.

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I am a Track & Field official and regularly see the 'cheapie' starter pistols go for less than $50 especially if they fire the.209 shotgun primers. These guns do not meet the requirement for starting NCAA or High School races. The guns that fire the Blackpowder blanks are worth more. The louder noise along with the visible flash and smoke are required for starting Track and Cross Country races. The H&R .22's go for about $100 used, the .32's can bring more.

Chris

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

My H&R .32 blank pistol is a very high quality piece. Of course, it has to be cleaned after each use because of the black powder.

8. BigM-Perazzi

8 bore. Want to sell it????

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hi everyone,
    I do thank you for your replies, no intrest in selling them I was just trying to gather info for my neighbor she wants the grand kids to have them.
    Thanks,
    Jim

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Years back my GSHP pissed on one.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

BigM, I don't really want to sell the little gun right now. I carry it in my training bag and am kind of attached to it. As a young lady said to a friend of mine after appearing in only a very wet T-shirt at the sign in desk of a motel and being asked "Been swimmin'?", I will say, as she did, "Thanks for asking".

12. BigM-Perazzi

Lets get back to the wet t-shirt story...got pics??? Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

h&r 960 starter pistol

h&r model 960 starter pistol

h&r starter pistol
h&r starting pistols
italian starter pistol
starter pistol value