1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of S & W Model 29

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Exhibition quality, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exhibition quality

Exhibition quality TS Member

Anybody provide me with the value of a Smith and Wesson model 29-2 ? Gun has 6.5 inch barrel with countersunk cylinder. If matters serial starts with a N . Early 80's model

thanks,
    Joe

2. Exhibition quality

Exhibition quality TS Member

Someone bound to have a value book I rate the gun 90 - 95%. Any figures i have a neighbor that is bugging me to sell.

Joe

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

5-600 bucks. That could be off a bit as my book is pretty old.

Jim

4. 5screw

5screw TS Member

I would not buy a 90-95% 29-2 at $600 but I would not sell any of the ones that I have for that amount either. $60 is fair. The 29-2 is worth more than the later models by far.

Bob

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Is it a pinned barrel? That today is a big point.

6. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

For used, $350 to a friend. Ask $450 elsewhere. $375-425 if it's got any bluing damage. I've bought and sold a dozen of these. A pinned barrel and recessed cylinder do keep the value up around the cost of a new gun if it's in great shape, but not to any dealer that can buy new at wholesale.

The 29's that have high value are from the 50's and 60's. Add original diamond grips and the price raises by $250. Original case, add $100. Truly mint early examples from that era will increase the value even more and a collector will pay whatever you ask. I sold a lightly used early 60's model with diamond grips for $800.

Right now I keep a stainless pinned and recessed 629. It's in very good condition, and probably a little earlier than yours. I paid $350.00 for it just a couple years ago. It's my carry gun in the winter, and I take it bear and deer hunting in case I get a chance at a close shot.

The mark up on these guns is not that great. If yours is exibition quality, you might ask a little more, but you'll have a hard time selling. I believe these types will increase in value as time passes. Many have been beat by reloader's, and I've beat a few, so you have to be picky if shopping for one. It's not an easy market for selling, because Dirty Harry is an old man now and everyone seems to want hi-cap FBI guns.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My 629 is 6". It's pinned and recessed same as his 29. Not soon after I believe they stopped pinning barrels and recessing the cylinders. I just looked at a 1980 Shooters Bible I have, and the 29 is pinned and recessed, and is listed with a 6 1/2". No listing of a 629 yet. I have an S&W catalog from 1986 and the 29 and 629 are 6" but not pinned and recessed, so mine is there somewhere from 1981 to 1985 when they first made 629's and still pinned and recessed. In the 80's, I had a 60's 4" 29 that double tapped if that's what you mean by cry twice. One on target, and one in the trees. It was a very nice new old stock gun with the presentation case, and I traded it back to the dealer and got $550. I always thought it was a very accurate gun for having such a short barrel, as it could do 2 1/2" groupings at 25 meters. I only loaded light loads with wadcutters as I experimented with a Redhawk for punishment. I believe the dealer sent it back to S&W for repair.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Guys you will find some guns made during the transition that will have the 6 inch bbl and also pinned and recessed. I have a -3 that is a 6 inch with pinned bbl and recessed cyl. Don't remember the exact year.

According to my blue book in 1978 there was approx 100 of the 629s made with the 6 in pinned bbl and recessed cyl.

Jim

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

My God but are a few of You out of touch with CURRENT S&W prices!!!

MagnumShot....The Diamond grips You refer too "adding $250" to the value of the gun......Check e bay as diamonds alone are now bringing in the $300 UP range and earlier diamond Cokes are now nearing $1K for a nice unaltered pair. Sight adjusting tools (screwdrivers) from the earlier guns will bring more than some of You are quoting for the whole GUN. The S&W collectors market like many others has REALLY gone up.

A 95% M29-2 is a solid $600+ gun right now and on an auction site it could be $800 on UP. IF it has the original presentation case with tools/papers, add a bit more. OR sell the case with tools/papers for $150+. It all depends on condition and if the original box/papers and tools are still there.

FN in MT

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

People can ask whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they're going to sell it at that price. As a seller, you have to ask yourself, do you want to sell it or sit on it. I'd prefer not to waste my time.

11. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

MODEL 29-1 & LATER VARIATIONS (3 SCREW)
    - .44 Mag. cal., 4, 6 1/2, or 8 3/8 in. barrel, eliminated top screw on sideplate and 1 screw in front of trigger guard. Disc. 1999.
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    M29-1 $3,450 $3,050 $2,600 $2,200 $1,700 $1,400 $1,100
    M29-2 $800 $700 $600 $500 $425 $375 $325
    M29-3 & higher $550 $495 $450 $400 $365 $335 $300
    Last MSR was $574
    This is ftrom the blue book of gun values,Dan Witcher

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

FN, I have at least one of those old S&W sight adjustment screwdrivers that I have no use for. Where do I find someone willing to pay hundreds of dollars for one? I'm not challenging your statement; it just seems like those things are worth a whole lot more to some folks than they are to me!

Ed

13. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Ed,

There are IIRC SIX different "screwdriver" type sight adjustment tools that were supplied with S&W revolvers over the years. THE rarest is the earliest model,(1930-1941) also the smallest. Supplied with early Registered Magnums. These are the guys bringing a Grand+ on E bay

The next models were larger and had knurled steel handles in nickle or blued steel, all with a black oxide finished shaft. These run basically 1940 to 1961 and will bring anywhere from $75 on UP depending on exact era and condition. On E Bay again...the sky can be the limit. I've seen them go for $275-$350!!

The next and most common are the aluminum FLUTED handle models from 1961 to approx 1988 or a bit later. Black oxide shaft, two different hollow ground lengths on the driver end, long EARLY and short, LATER. These bring on AVERAGE $20 to $25 if the seller knows what he has. In quantity they go for $10-$20 on e bay or the collector sites.

I'd suggest going to the "S&W Forum". Then look at "revolvers, 1945 to present" There is a post on screwdrivers there right now that describes them better than I can, with pictures.

Any other questions try me at NYNJCT1146@yahoo.com

I hope You DO have an early one....You may be surprised what it will bring.

FN in MT

14. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Jimmy P,

Ref Your sillhouette model.... Built 1983 to 1991 10 5/8" bbl a -3 model. The most recent "Catalof of S&W's" the Bible for those of us addicted to them....shows as new in box for $700 on average and 98% for $650. One could probably do better than those "guideline" prices. As they are now a bit dated.

If You wished to sell it, it's a good one to list on an auction site or try the S&W Forum. It's a pre lock gun which a PLUS, and it's a relatively early gun. But unfortunately not a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder gun (P&R) which seems to be a BIG thing with many buyers now. But it is unique with a relatively limited production run.

Unsure the exact production numbers on that one....Sorry. Hope this helped.

FN in MT

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mine are all the lastest ones. Figures...

Ed

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I have seen some of these guns, as I am sure others have, that were pinned and not recessed and vise versa. Done during the transition.

Have the prices increased on a P&R Mod. 19 2 1/2 in round butt? Thanks, Steve

17. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

"My God but are a few of You out of touch with CURRENT S&W prices"!!!

FN in MT,

Your comment says it all buddy. Shooter grade -2's are selling for more than 375-450. Clean examples are pulling minimum 5-6 bills. Much more for unfired and/or rare variations. Pre-29's are big bucks.

Just take a gander at the prices on models 17,19,27,28,29,57,58, almost any older Smith. Even 10's and 36's are selling for good money. People are dropping some SERIOUS change.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Here is a 4-screw that must have a two grand reserve.

19. new loader

new loader Member

Jimmy P: If you want to sell that Silhouette model, email me directly. Thank you.

20. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

When the quality control on a Taurus is better than a NEW Smith, the price of the OLD S&W's go thru the roof.

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.