1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of S&W Model 27?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by parrothead, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I am considering a purchase and need help with the value. It is a Smith & Wesson model 27-2. 3 1/2" barrel, Target hammer, trigger, stocks. With the box and paperwork. I think it is early 70's vintage. 90-95%. Thanks in advance for your help!-Dan

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Probably more than most sane people would think it's worth. There seems to be a snub-nose craze right now and S&Ws, especially discontinued ones like the 27, with barrels under four inches in length are HOT - I watch them sell for a lot more than I'd give for them on GunBroker and the S&W Forum.

My five year-old Blue Book puts it at $380 in 100% condition but that guide is fairly conservative and the way things are with short-barreled S&Ws right now, I'd venture a guess at $500 to $700, depending upon condition and how many people get in on the bidding. By the way, the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson states that the 3-1/2" barrel was discontinued for the Model 27 in 1977.

Ed

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Parrothead,

I had a Model 27- 3 1/2 just as the one you described, if I could buy it back for twice what I sold it for I'd do it ... I would say 600 to 700 would be very realistic if the gun is super nice ... Mine also had the factory 'Black Chrome " finish on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Excuse while I go and kick myself again ...

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The blue book is rarely conservative- usually way overstates the value of what a private party can sell something for

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This would no doubt be one of those cases of "Whats it worth to you" based on Genes statement ... I, having had one would love to have it back and would gladly give twice what I sold it for ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

$650 - $700.00

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Personally I am not looking at a blue book- although I have one in the basement- my comment was made on a general basis

I am surprised the blue book doesnt list it for more but again private party sales are rarely indicative of what blue book prices are= blue books are usually way overvalued because they use what dealers are asking for them in ads

Are we sure the person that looked it up wasnt looking under what a model 28 is selling for?

Having said all of that= this gun is stated as a 90 percent gun and it is in the least desireable barrel length

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. AveragEd

No offense, Gene, but I'd LOVE to be able to buy guns for Blue Book money! Just think - 870 Competitions and 1100 Tournament Traps in 100% condition for $550, 870 All Americans (like new, of course) for $795 and XP-100Rs that were only made in 1998, the last year of XP-100 production, for $595 in NIB condition.

If you know where I can buy any of those guns for those prices, please let me know. Shucks, a few years ago, I turned down $500 for the step-rib, full-choke barrel off my 1100TT! It was tempting, I assure you, but I didn't want to ruin the gun's originality.

And as far as that barrel length being undesireable - to you and me, it sure is but to a whole lot of guys who think they have to have a fleet of snubbies, they're in very high demand. Visit the Classifieds in the S&W Forum and you'll see guns SELLING for prices you won't believe.

Ed

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The Model 27 has been a very desirable gun since they were discontinued. If you want one to shoot instead of collect I would get a gun that did not have a target trigger. They are too wide to be comfortable shooting double action.

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Gun values can change like the seasons. Prices are through the roof on that model right now. I looked this up on gunbroker. Bids to $1000. If you are a collector, and have the money, go for it. If you are looking for a shooter, there's a number of Smith short barreled revolvers that can be had new and used for under $500 that you'd be just as happy with.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just recently sold a 5" model 27 S&W for $450. A little normal holster bluing wear, otherwise sound.

12. parrothead

parrothead Member

Thanks for the help! This is a private party sale as well as a friend that is selling the pistol. He has offered it to me for $550. I think I will go ahead and purchase it, as it is a beauty.

Several of you mentioned the S&W forum. Is that a good place to reference serial numbers/dates of manufacture, etc? Thanks again for your replies. -Dan

13. AveragEd

Dan, the S&W Forum is a good source of collector information but it is all also available in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, a hardback book available on several websites for something on the order of $28. It provides production dates, photos, differences between engineering update suffixes (-2, -3 and so forth) as well as some values that are extremely out of touch with reality.

I pasted a link to where I bought mine above.

Ed

14. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Go to Gunbroker.com and look at their CLOSED Auctions for the past 30,60 & 90 Days. That way you see what people are actually paying.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dan, my 27th edition blue book is 3 years old and has your gun at 100% at $425. You more than likely could add 12-15% to that price to get a up to date book price. That would get that gun around $475-$495 or so. Also add 10% for pinned barrel and recessed cylinder and another $28 for wihite outline reas sight as well. So I'd say that your price you offered your friend is a fair offer. Enjoy it and don't forget to break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.