1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VALUE OF RUGER SECURITY SIX .357 MAG

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A friend has a 4” stainless security six in .357 mag with one-piece rubber grip, a few wear marks but in good condition. The serial is 159-34XXX, which puts it in a 82-83 build year according to the chart on Ruger’s web page.

The revolver belonged to his dad who recently passed away and he has no use for it. What would be a reasonable value range in today’s market?

Guy Babin

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Brand new Blue Book shows 300.00 used retail for 95%--------225.00 for 90%. Those grips were not original, they should be wood. All three of the "six" Rugers (speed, security, and service) are not high dollar guns by any means but they are really good guns---just the action could have been a little smoother. 250.00 sounds fair for both of you. 10 years ago I gave 200.00 for a new near security and 250.00 for a NIB service from a dealer.

Bryan

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Around $300, depending on actual condition. 98% would be some higher, well used, around 225-250. There are collectors out there and these are actually quite well made, stronger than the K Smiths and easier to maintain. I wish Ruger had kept making them even after bring out the GPs (which compete with the L Smiths).

I have a 4" Security Six with the 200 year rollmark and wouldn't trade it for a pair of 19s. (even after I gave my wife my 19).

My youngest son has my 6" blue sec6 and won't give it back and my 2 3/4 incher rides the tractor with me at the farm.

Bank vaults that shoot.

4. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Bryan, do you have edition 31 of the Blue Book?

EE

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I just looked on Gun Broker and there are three SS pieces there and all are listed as buy now @ 439.00 to 474.00.

Are these inflated prices? Also one states "Pre Warning 357". What does that mean?

Guy B.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I have the 30th edition, I guess more time has passed that I thought since I got this edition. Isn't the brand new 31st due our later spring ???

Bryan

7. Savage99Stan

Pre warning means simply that the barrel does not have the "warning" to read the manual, that the manual is available from Ruger and so on. Those "pre warning" models had a slightly different grip frame shape and, in my opinion, had slightly better actions. My six inch Pre warning was the most accurate 357 I ever had, equal to my six inch Python in every respect other than trigger pull. (Lyman 358156 wheel weight metal, Hornady gas check, 13.5-14.5 gr Alliant 2400, WW small pistol primer, crimped in top groove, Win 357 case).

8. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Guy, Do you or your friend have a buyer for it? If not I might be interested. Will you be at the banquet tonight? I don't remember if you shot Tri-State or not, but I will be at HOM in the morning and then Greencastle. Let me know. Thanks Phil

9. Robb

Robb Member

A Bullseye spring kit can work wonders for trigger pull on the Security Six.

10. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Bryan, the 31st Edition, from what I can tell, starts shipping next month. I suspect that many of the prices listed in 31, and especially self-defense type handguns, will be a bit higher due to the 08 election factor.

EE

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes Guy, those prices you saw un Gunbroker are definitely inflated. Depending on the extent of the wear you mentioned, your friend's revolver is worth $200-$300. The Security Six was a pretty good piece and the .357 packs a ton of power. Ammo is pretty pricey, but you can shoot .38 Special in it for practice (still not cheap, but not as costly as .357).

-Gary

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

4 inch is less desireable for resale - so I would say 150-200

that spring kit mentioned above does work wonders btw

now having said that about value -- I will tell you that it is the best 150-200 you will spend on a pistol

the frame is smaller and the gun is easier to carry because of that- and if you are going to just do pliking or occasional target work- or use it in the hunting field- then this is the gun to have--

I have one with a 6 inch barrel and custom grips which I probably put 5000 38 rounds through and a few hundred 357- still tight and still great for those purposes

regads from Iowa

Gene

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Is the trigger pull issue strictly related to double action? I read somewhere that these were best described as a single action, with the option to go double. Meaning single action performance was acceptable, but double was pretty rough.

I may buy the gun myself Phil even though I wasn't in the market for one. I'll be at N. Carroll for the HOM at appx 1130 today.
    Guy

14. Savage99Stan

Neither single nor double action are as good as a K frame, especially the old M&Ps but the da is not horrible either. Spring kit, a little polish on the sides of the moving parts (easy to get to) and a little quality lube and they'll be fine. Don't mess with engagement surfaces.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Savage99stan is right about polishing. If you take the metal guide piece that holds the hammer spring and polish it from rectangular to nearly oval cross section, the double action trigger is greatly improved. A spring kit helps also, but polishing does not cost anything. Gunslick or Dri Slide moly grease helps on all brands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger 357 security six value

ruger security six

ruger security six 357 magnum value

ruger security six collector value

security six value

shooting the 357mag ruger security six

value of ruger security six 357 magnum

what is a ruger security six 357 worth