1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Value of Old .22 Ammo? ==

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

An acquaintance of mine is nagging to buy these old .22s from me but wants me to set the price. Anybody know fair value? 13 boxes, all full and correct as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

-Gary

[​IMG]

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If he is letting you set the price you will not go wrong with $5.00 a box. They are collectable.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very cool collection Gary. Did you save them yourself over the years?

Matt

4. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Just bought some at large gun auction. Gave $60 for 16 boxes of which 8 were full and 12 were collectible. If you don't want them I will buy them.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

No Matt, I got them as a "deal sweetener" while doing a little gun trading.

I do believe I remember shooting some of those Western XPERTS back in the 70s. Does anybody know the vintage of the others? I suspect that those dogbone Kleanbores might be from the 60s.

-Gary

6. grntitan

I know there was someone at the Grand in the vendor buildings that had all sorts of this type stuff. Some was very resonable and some were priced high(to me anyway). Its very cool stuff. I think its one of those deals if the guy needs it really bad for his collection, its pricless. The ones you have pre date my shooting years for sure.

I wish i had invested my money in this sort of thing instead of the years and dollars i spent on sports collectables that are now worth nothing.

Matt

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jeez, Matt -- now you're making me want to keep them, LOL.

I probably should, because half the stuff I've sold over the years I wish I still had!

-Gary

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hunted wild pigeons with my grandfather in the late 50s and early 60s. We used .22s and Xpert and SuperX. Chichay

9. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

GW, I sent you a PM.

10. grntitan

Well Gary, they say you can't take it all with you but you can sure enjoy it while your here. You will have to make that call whether to sell or not. I have no idea of its value but they are rich in the cool market. I like you have sold a many a item i wish i still had. I'm sure i'll sell something else i regret in the near future. Seems i never learn from my own mistakes. LOL

Matt

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Your ammo is worth around $130.00. Your best box is the Palma. Some variations of Palma can get expensive. The Kleanbore longs 10.00 to 15.00. The dog bones and the Kleanbores are around 1940s vintage. Boxes with child warning are post 62.

If you any of you like vintage 22 ammo let me know I will see if I can send you pictures of my 22 ammo collection.

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed. the kleanbores are 40's era. i have a few boxes in .22 win. auto. good luck with it

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Top right was mid-late 50's, with early - mid 60s next one down. You will note 3 of the WW has the libby child warning so those were certainly the newest. I would sure hang on to the Palma Rems and Win Match ones! Not sure about the others! Tom Rhoads

14. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Here is some old stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the 1 1/4 oz on the trap loads
    [​IMG]

15. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I would like to know how many boxes like those, that i shot back in the 60's the Winchester were really accurate in my Remmington 512, those were the days !!!! Joe

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Really, some of mine are from the 40s? Wow, I had no idea. Now I definitely want to keep them. Maybe I'll buy even more when I come across them!

... and the spindly fingers of yet another hobby begin to clench around my throat, LOL.

-Gary

17. grntitan

Good choice Gary. From what whiz-bang and others posted, your small collection should do nothing but increase in value. Famous last words................

Matt

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I saw one of those dog bone Remington boxes going for $20 at a gun show, never have see the Plama match variety. The new Wincheter boxes are more like $5. I would think the lot is easily worth the $130 mentioned above.

As it turns out, there are a bunch of guys that like to collect these things .... I can't seem to pass them up.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Amazing. And all the times I've gone to gun shows I've wasted my time looking for guns, LOL!

Thanks again for all the info & comments. I'm certainly glad I asked.

-Gary

20. Butler

Butler TS Member

curiosity, I was wondering if you are talking about the value of the box only, or the box with the ammunition in it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
antique ammo
antique ammunition values

old ammo boxes value

old ammo value
value of old ammo boxes
vintage ammo value
whiz bang ammo
wizz bang 22