1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of German Luger needed.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldgahchamp, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

A neighbor passed away a few days ago ( WW 2 Vet ). He owned a 9mm Luger and I would like to inform his Daughter as to how much it is worth. She plans on keeping it as soon as she gets a permit. It is an average condition P-38 without a holster. Thanks for the info. Larry Evans

2. high 2

high 2 Member

I collected them for a while in the early 90`s. There are so many different models and such it would next to impossible to give a true value without holding in hand. Low end around $500 to over $20,000 for some rare ones.

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Is it a Luger or is it a P-38?

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Didn't think the P-38's were all that special as a whole (exc'l special ones). The P-08's are the ones that seem to start at $1000 for a beater and hit the sky from there.

5. oldgahchamp

OldRemFan, It is a P38. Larry

6. oldgahchamp

flincher100, On the left side of the slide is sn, 2xxx b ac 44 On the right side there are 2 small sets of numbers, 3 digits in each set. Above each set is a small insignia. Between the 2 sets of numbers is a small insignia with a swastika. Are these proof marks? Thanks, Larry

7. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

The holster may be worth more than the gun.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Save the details....just post a few hi-rez pics already!!

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

My dad gave me this one. I use it to shoot rats. Is is worth anything?

[​IMG]

10. VF 126

VF 126 Member

Is it a byf,Stoeger or a Mitchell?

Jerry

11. VF 126

VF 126 Member

Larry,

I didn't read the whole post. Its a P38 made by Walther (AC) in Feb/Mar of 1944. The Barrel, Frame, Slide and Locking block should all be matching. The locking block is under the barrel which should have the last 3 numbers and the letter b. Is it all blued or looks like a two-tone? What are the markings on the magazine...Should read P.38v on the side and the back Eagle over 359.

Are you from NY?

Jerry

12. oldgahchamp

To VF126
    Jerry, The gun is all blued, Under the bbl is all blued with 4 digits and the letter b. Markings on clip are P38v & the Eagle over 359 on the back. Also there is a 9 digit number on the back, possibly a German soldiers ID number? Yes, I am from NY (upstate). Thanks, Larry

13. VF 126

VF 126 Member

Larry,

The numbers are probably the GIs service number who got it. Not uncommon but hurts the collector vlaue. The mag has the correct markings for a Walther produced P38. Any capture papers with it.This is a paper that lets the GI bring it home.

I think we know each other by sight. I used to cut the grass at the NYS home grounds years ago with Bud thats when Patrick was around. Down in Florida now.

Jerry

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A. It is a Walther P38 (or Mauser, or whatever..made by at least three companies during the war). It is not a Luger, it is just in 9mm caliber often called 9mm "Luger" but truly is 9mm Parabellum.

B. No one on any site can give you a true value without seeing the item. Ball park figures can go anywhere from about $450 on up, depending on actual manufacturer, condition, markings, etc.

C. Items with holster, spare magazine, cleaning rod, command much higher prices.

D. Even the wartime last ditch production P38s were more reliable than the Lugers and cost much less to produce. The Lugers are worth much more because of the mystique, the fine worksmanship, the hand fitting and the finish.

BTW, I'll pay fifty bucks for that rat shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

luger 1917 9mm on the low end