1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of a S&W 29

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 1oz, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oz

1oz Member

I have a S&W model 29-2 , 3 screw . I had ballbearing installed in yoke and trigger action job by the late Fred Schmidt . 3 - 3 1/2lb single and very smooth double. Very tight does show some bluing wear . 6 1/2 barrel, countersink cylinder. Factory wood grips.Whats a gun like this worth ?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to the above site and check them out. The mods performed on your Smith will likely NOT help the value. These early models had a few problems, like cylinder rollback with heavy loads, and timing issues.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Fred Schmidt is a name from the past for me. He built a short cylinder 38 spl PPC gun for me back in early '80s or late '70s. He did very nice work but mods like you have outlined on your Model 29 rarely add value since collectors seem to like original guns.

The pinned barrel/counter bored chamber guns are the ones in demand, ie 29-2 and earlier.

4. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

The Non-Smith & Wesson "improvements" will not help the value of a 29-2 Gun to the collector. The price is $400-$500.00 -- If you get more - that's great - but don't count on it.

5. art g

art g Member

Jim: Please e-mail me...I am interested in buying your 29-2. Thank you, Art G. admanawg@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.