1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of a Charles Daly 410 Update now F/S!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Update - I have decided to sell this gun. It has been shot now and has only had 5 boxes thru it during this year's dove season. The blueing under the barrel / safety selector is a little scratched from clicking the safety on and off during hunting. Other than that the gun still looks great. If any body is interested I will take $1400.00 plus shipping to your FFL. PM me if you are interested.

I just picked up a Charles Daly over/under 410 with 26" barrels - both fixed skeet. I got this from an old guy who said he bought it brand new 20 to 30 year ago. It still is brand new unfired in the orginal box. It is manufactured by Miroku, which from what I understand is the manufacturer that produced Brownings. This thing is very pretty and looks alot like a citori with the rounded pistol grip. I will post pictures tomorrow when I have my camera. Any idea what it could be worth? Thanks in advance Huntiandhotrods

The pitures didn't come out as good as I wanted, but hopefully this will help. There isn't any thing that that says field, ventura, or diamond grade on it. It just says Charles Daly 410 3" on one side of the barrels and SxS on the other. I tried to take a picture of that but it didn't come out good. The side of the reciever has real pretty engraving but the picture doesn't show that to good either.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

They made two frame sizes and several grades. on the barrel should be either field or superior ,there was also the diamond if I remember right. They all bring really good money. A little more info will help. Jeff

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have the 27th edition blue book, now 4 years old. Should not matter much on this gun. Venture Skeet is $640 at 98%------- Superior Grade is $875 at 98%------and Diamond grade is $l,350 at 98%. These were made between 63-76 and book says to add 60%---Yes 60% for all 410 bore guns. Also on a quick side note book says there are collectors of these guns in small bores, so you know if yours is in true new in book condition. Also book says no one has observed a 410 bore lightweight Charles Daly to this date, so if have a lightweight model!!! Even though I'm no collector after looking this gun up for you I'd love to see some pix's of your gun. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Sorry but the book is a guide and like alot of values , the book is way off . Jeff

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I just got out my current Blue book and have the following values as the gun is New in box, ADD 60% for .410. Field $850, Venture skeet $875 , Superior $1225 and Diamond grade skeet $2100. REMEMBER ,add 60 percent for .410. I sold a field grade skeet about 15 years ago ,98% for $1000. I would buy it back in a minute for more. Jeff

6. Pull & Mark

Bigbore, if the book is so far off Why do you have a current year book??? While I believe the prices can be adj. to a small degree from location to location based on the economy of a given locale, I follow the book real good and know others do as well. The real trick for this gentleman is to find a real collector of this gun. That is harder to do, even on this site. Now one shoots a 26 inch barrel in skeet anymore. Look how long is takes to sell a 32 inch BT-99 on here, and for how much less too. Break-em all. Jeff

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I find there is much more info in the blue book than values. With that said , the C.D. small gauge guns are very collectable maybe not here. Jeff

8. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A better picture of the side of the reciever will tell the grade. The marking for grade will be faint on the barrels. Jeff

10. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Thanks Bigbore - I will try and take better pictures tonight. I'm debating if I should keep this gun as unfired or give it to my son for his birthday. I was in a hurry when I was taking the pictures last night because he was coming home and I didn't want him to see it. Huntinandhotrods

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

With all the debate so far

I would say that the blue book is usually on the high side- often very high side and you just wont see those prices

Having said that- rarely the blue book might be on the low side

With this particular gun you are looking for a collector to get a high value- the gun itself is really not so hot- There cant be many collectors of these so therefore I would keep the gun in an unfired condition - and maybe try selling it now -

Who knows if and when firearms will be made illegal in whole or part

Selling it now would give you an idea of the real value and then you could invest the money

Again- it is dubious how many collectors of this firearm really exist and they are probably getting age on them each day

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The Blue book and other price guides are exactly that, a price guidline, a starting point for an item that rises and falls day over day depending on market regions and market condition(read demand).

If your Daly is a Venture grade, which it appears it is and new in the box, then the value in my back yard would range from $1,500 to $2,000. If in fact it's factory skeet choked, then it may range higher.

I sold in 1990, a venture grade 28 guage 26" barreled field gun built on the narrow 410 frame. I sold this to a Daly collector for $2,200, he considered it a rare bird. All the other 28 guage Daly's I knew of were built on the 20 guage frame.

Fast forward 20 years and it appears at least 100 28 gauge guns on the 410 frame were imported, which makes it uncommon but not rare.

You have bought a very nice gun of great quality, if were me, I'd be shooten it..

Surfer

13. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I have looked all over and I still don't see anything that says what grade it is, but the new pictures of the side of the reciever came out good.

Thanks Huntinandhotrods
    [​IMG]

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Based on the straight grained wood on the stock and forearm and that it has a round knob grip stock says it's a Venture grade, the lowest grade. Superior and Diamond grades had flat knob stocks and fancier wood along with other embellishments.

Surfer

15. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Your gun is worth $1500-2000. If you want to sell it I know a guy that will pay close to $2000.00 for it. As to the small frame guns they bring big money. The only ones I have seen were 28ga and think that is all that they did. I have seen them sell for $3500 to `$5000 with high grade wood.

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you were going to shoot it , then I would sell it and buy a Citori and an extra stock in 28 ga.The .410 is an experts gun and not something to start out with. Like I said before these little guns are very collectable and rarely seen N.I.B. It is a Venture grade. Jeff

17. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

That is for sure a Venture grade skeet gun. I had one just like it in 28 ga. & currently have 2 Superior grades. Great guns. Colonel

18. trw

trw Member

It always surprises me, the amount of confusion on the Miroku made Daly grade nomenclature. Your .410 is a 'Field' grade, NOT a 'Venture' grade. The Venture grade guns were extractor guns with minimal engraving. The 'Field' grade guns have ejectors. There were two types of extractors; early & late. Yours is the early style, being two piece. There are also two types of forearm fastening set-ups, the earliest having a small tab that must be fit into the receiver prior to the fore arm being snapped in place. The Superior grade guns are the same as the Field grades, feature wise, but have a stippled pattern on the receiver's top in the shape of what resembles rams horns to either side of the opening lever and on their side have a half circle shaped more ornate engraving pattern, for lack of a better description. Most ref books say that the Superior grades received better wood, but I never observed that to be the case. Any of the wood fitted was high quality from a grain orientation perspective and seldom had much figure irrespective of grade. Superior grade guns frequently had a darker colored finish applied to them, but so do some early guns of other grades. None of them carry grade markings, hence all the confusion. I think it is a connotative problem with most people in the US thinking that 'Venture' insinuates a higher quality than 'Field'.

19. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Thanks for all the information to all who replied. It is always nice to know what you got. I'm not much of a gun collector but more of a gun user. This gun looks like it would be fun to shoot and it doesn't look like keeping it as a safe queen is going to make me rich. My son and I will enjoy it for what it is. I think I will dove and quail hunt with it to bring back the challenge that I used to enjoy so much before I became a good shot with the bigger gauges. Thanks again Huntinandhotrods

20. Pull & Mark

Thanks for the story!!! Its always great to hear someone who found a nice ole gun and is going to enjoy shooting it with his son!!! May it bring you both many years of enjoyment. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

charles daly 410

charles daly 410 over and under
charles daly 410 over under shotgun
charles daly 410 shotgun
charles daly field 410
charles daly miroku 20 gauge
charles daly miroku shotgun dating

charles daly over under 410