1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of 686 S&W ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SONO MAN, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Hello everyone. Does anyone know the value of a S&W 686 revolver, 4" barrel, ss finish, wood and rubber grips, 6 shots, about 90-95% condition. Thanks for your input, Peter.

2. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

southern gent is right, I just sold one to a gun dealer he gave me 325 but mine had a tuned trigger and was 6" stainless and 99%, I hat to say but yours is probaly worth less than that if you sell it to a dealer, private party 275

4. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Actually, I'm a buyer and the guy is asking $400.00

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

sono man, here is the book prices, 95% is $270,, 90% is $225 plus you have to add $28 dollars for the 4 inch barrel. This is only with the original grips so you need to add something for the extra set of wood grips.(I have no idea of that price) Good Luck and hope this helps you out. Break-em all. JEff

6. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Any 90% Smith revolver you find for $225 you need to jump on.

7. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

When I checked the prices on Gun Broker.com, they were around $450 or more for used ones.

8. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Well I guess that's the difference between wanting a price on Gunbroker and getting a price in the real world:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=149340&highlight=686

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=138192&highlight=686

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sonoman, I agree with John. Say gun is 250 plus 30 for 4 inch barrel is 280 plus the wood grips say another 50 or so. So $330 or so is fair price. The most important thing to check on a revolver is after you pull the trigger back all the way and the cylinder turns and the hammmer falls with the trigger still pulled, check to see that there is absolutely no cylinder movement forward or backward at the point. It should be tight as a rock. That will make it worth a little more, but don't buy it if it is sloppy at that point. Good Luck. and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and as you pull the trigger back, just a tiny bit before it falls, you should hear the "hand" fall into its notch in the cylinder, locking that latter in place. Just after it falls into that notch, and before you pull the trigger back any more, try to rock the cylinder clock- and counter-clockwise to test for play. There should be hardly any at all as Jeff says, but you really want to feel that lockup before the hammer falls.

Neil

11. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks for all responds, Peter.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Neil,

The hand rotates the cylinder, it does not lock the cylinder in place. I can't remember the name of the part you are describing. HMB

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

HMB, The part is called the cylinder stop.

Jim

14. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

With Smiths the hand doesn't lock the cylinder it only turns it. The part that engages the cylinder notches is called the cylinder stop. Also keep in mind Smiths that are pre-safety lock, pre-MIM with forged parts, and in time and tight are far more desirable and command better money.

I'd say 400 for a 90% gun is on the high side even if it is an earlier model. If mint an early 686 at 400-450 is a fair price IMHO.

FYI.....new 686's are selling for 550-600.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.