1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of 1923 M12 Nickel Steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I saw an older Nickel Steel M12 today 12gauge with a 30" full solid raised rib. According the to SN it was made in '23. It looked all original except at some time someone put a recoil pad on it. The gun had very little blue left on it and the shiny nickel steel added to the appeal to me. I like honest, well used M12's (maybe just me). What (w/o seeing the gun) would you base it's value to be? TIA, FIB

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

275-350 tops

3. FIB

FIB Member

not marked TRAP and no diamond,just a nice old nickel steel m12 w/a solid raised rib.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Barfin,

So what is the significance of of the M12's with "Trap" stamped on the bottom of the receiver with fixed Full barrel? Also we have a M12 with fixed IC barrel with the Simmons rib. My Grandfather who just passed away Wednesday evening had always told me it was more rare because of the barrel being IC. I figured it to be a "Skeet" model. They are both in well used condition. They are used not abused but the blue is nearly gone. I don't gave the serial numbers available right now. I am just curious as to the significance of the Trap marking on the one and if the IC barrel is indeed anything special on the other.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A solid rib 30inch front end sold for $450 on Ebay recently 90% condition. Jeff

6. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

You're not alone FIB, I share your likes for well used Model 12's. I've had a few and my favorites have always been the well used ones. They are a joy to shoot! I've found that location has a lot to do with price. A 30" FULL is very common, but the solid rib is a nice feature and nickel steel is a plus. If the wood is in pretty decent condition and unaltered that would be a $350 gun in SE Wisconsin.

Matt,
    The TRAP stamp indicates that a Model 12 is a TRAP GRADE gun. A common misunderstanding about the TRAP stamped guns is that they were all trap guns. This is not true. While many did come configured to shoot trap, not all were - all barrel lengths and choke constructions were available in TRAP GRADE guns. TRAP GRADE model 12's tend to fetch more money than non stamped guns (condition being the same). It should be noted that Winchester stopped the practice of stamping TRAP on TRAP GRADE guns around 1949.

Similarly, a SKEET stamp on a Model 12 indicates that the gun is a SKEET GRADE gun. Not all Skeet stamped guns were configured to shoot skeet - all barrel lengths and choke constrictions were available in Skeet grade guns. Skeet grade model 12's tend to fetch more money than non stamped guns (condition being the same).

With regard to your grandfather's comment, shorter barrels and more open chokes on unstamped Model 12's tend to bring more money (condition being the same). The Simmons rib on your IC gun was not on the gun when it left the factory. Original production factory installed ribs are not marked. Your IC choked gun with the Simmons rib probably would make for a good skeet pump gun, but without the stamp, it is most likely not a SKEET GRADE gun. SKEET GRADE model 12's were first offered in 1934. WS 1 & WS 2 choke constrictions were first offered in 1933. I have no idea if Winchester dropped the practice of stamping SKEET on SKEET GRADE guns - so I may be wrong about the grade of your IC gun.

Regards,
    Brad

7. grntitan

Wow, thanks for the education on M12's Brad. I learned a lot right there. Of course the value of those two Model 12's are priceless as I couldn't replace the memories of the hunts with those classic guns. I hunted doves with the IC choked Model 12 long before I knew what a Model 12 was. The stories those old guns could tell.

Thanks again,

Matt

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

In this neck of the woods (MN) that would be a $250.00 gun.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Skybuster, do you know of some for sale at that price? Would appreciate names and phone numbers.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Martin,

If you don't take them, I will ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. grntitan

But yet back in Feb sky buster had a Y model field gun for sale for $750.?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.