1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of 100 Straight

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by EXFDX, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I'm still waiting to shoot my first 100 straight. First let me define what a "Straight" is: It is 100 straight dead registered (or otherwise competition) birds. No carry-overs, no practice. This is the only thing your hat gets shot up for around here. My longest straight practice run (carried over on several practice rounds) is 375. Hat still in one piece.

Back to the point -- it seems to me that after you've run your first hundred registered birds, things change in your mind. For example, right now, I'm always completely surprised and dismayed by missing "that" particular bird. But I'm never surprised that I missed "a" bird on a field or in a round.

I think a straight would take that second part away; not being surprised by missing a bird or two birds in a round or even a field.

Anyway, I'm no expert - you all are. Does your first 100 change your mental state in subsequent competitions? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve O.

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Steve, 25 straight,50 straight,75 straight, and finally that 100 straight for me equaled CONFIDENCE. A procession of steps and finally the 200's and 300's. Keep shooting and good luck. You'll get there one step at a time. Steve

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Every Step gives me the, I know I can do it mind. Im still chasing the 100. best so far is a 96 in ATA. I have a pocket full of 50 and 75s non ata.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Even after you break your initial first 100 or several, you can't rely on history for a repete performance. You have to really want the next bird you call for. See it's leading edge with intensity and it's yours, repete the process 99 times and its shoot-off time.

Lit, isn't that how and what you taught Big Leo? :) Hap

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I think that in your mind, after you have hit a 100 straight in registered, you now KNOW that you can do it and it is easier. You have to prove it to yourself lol. You just have to knock that little guy off of your shoulder that tries to let the pressure off by making you miss one or two so that you can stay in your comfort zone. Good luck, John

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Steve........100 straight is 100 straight. It does NOT have to be all shot on the same day or at the same time, and it does NOT have to be registered targets.Your shooting IS what it IS.....registered OR practice[so-called].To say otherwise is to mislead shooters[not saying that was your intention].A shooter should give it his/her ALL at all times....not just in competition. If you think your competition shooting should be any better than your "practice" shooting, then you are not being honest with yourself.Just my opinion!

7. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Anytime you break 100 in a row is an accomplishment, learning experience and confidence builder. I don't care if it is in practice, registered or league. The patches I see do not say, 100 straight non-registered, 100 straight practice, 100 straight ATA or have any other qualifier. Any shooter who puts 100 targets together in an event or practice session has done a great job. After the first one I do think it changes your attitude but we have to be careful not to let it beccme a benchmark. That can become discouraging. I also think that any 100 shot involves some luck, for any shooter.

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

Hipshot,,,,, don't know where you are shooting but around the A.T.A. a 100 straight means breaking 100 in a consective manner is any event of that length. breaking 50 today and 50 on Wed nite--- that AIN"T 100,, don't get a patch for it!!
    Your "competition targets" SHOULD be beter than your Practice scores. If not ,, If you don't get the rush of the competition, the wanting to be the best, if only on that day,,, well then you should really keep shooting Practice targets!!!

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

only a small precentage will do it. i don't know what the precentage is.

10. oz

oz Active Member

I shot 100 straight registered. I was just (in the zone) and didn't miss. Most of the time i start thinking about something (stupid) and miss a couple. I didn't start a blog or thread pronouncing the event. oz

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

brain farts

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

Yeah ,it changes everything .I got my first in June ,again at state in June and finally again today in Eagle .It's like what was already said ,getting that monkey off your back .

But , you'll still get lesser scores too . But you won't let it get to you as bad as before because you know you can run'em .

But , yeah keep trying and setting goals for yourself 25,50,75,100 and then.. I want that 200 pin sooo...Bad !!!

not to mention your name in T@F .

Bob Semsack

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"100 straight" is in one event of that length on the same day, "100 run or 100 in a row" is 100 consecutive broken targets over different events or days.

Bill

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

100 straight in an event of that lengh is an accomplishment, don't demean that by comparing it to 4 25's in practice whenever shot. Competition is the true measure of a shooter, some of you don't want to believe that so make up your own rules and awards. If you want the respect of your fellow shooters then do it the right way.

Working on 100 gets you a lot more 99's and 98's, before and after. Go for the Goal it's a fun trip.

Don

15. guncase

guncase TS Member

I just work on breaking the next one out!! not 25,,50,, or 100,, just the next one.

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When you break "100" your next plateau is what? "200", "500", "1,000" Your competing with the fella standing in your shoes. Shoot the best you are able and when you raise the bar, regardless of the level, you can smile and say "you beat your best day". 100's are great but you only break one at a time! Break 'em all!

Big Jack

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I don't know what the value of a 100 straight is....if you figure in shells, targets, travel, incidentals, option losses and my time at a penny an hour....

well, it's gotta be over $100,000.

And it's adding up fast, with not much of an end in sight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.