1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Value, JC Higgins Old shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trappermike, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I was given a box of 20 gauge J.C. Higgins XTRA-RANGE shotshells. 2 3/4 dram 1 ounce #6 shot. These were made before plastic wads and are priced (hand written) $2.59. They are high brass paper shells with a six point crimp. full box, with box. The box looks good to me, not perfect, maybe 80%?? I know new shells are about $7-10. Anyone know of a collector? I don't need to make a fortune on them, if they are not worth more than about $8.00, I will just shoot them? Any input appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Shoot the shells, and sell the box on ebay, thats the only way you might make anything on them (you'll probably get $5-$10 for the box, w/ or w/ out the shells).

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep the shells with the box. They sound like older Federal shells made for Sears. At that time, Winchester owned much of Federal. Take a look at the following link.
    http://www.traphof.org/collectors_corner/page57.htm

Pat Ireland

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I shot a bunch of those shells in the 60's. I can almost remember the unique smell they were noted for-unfired!!

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Keep everything intact. Even if they have no huge dollar value they have wonderful shadow box value. Someone wants them and it's for darn sure they aren't being made any more.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you decide to keep them make sure to take care of the box and if selling up to that point. Most collectors that Iam aware of value the box considerably more that contents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jc higgins shotshells