1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Valley Gun Club, Cape Town, South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's a few pics I took when I went down to Valley Gun Club near Cape Town. Its actually closer to the city of Paarl, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The picture below is what the early "immigrants" to the area thought looked like a big pearl, so they named the town Paarl (Dutch for pearl.) This is called the "Pearl of the Cape."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Beautiful place Tim.

5. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

Did you have a chance to take the gondola up to the top of Table Mountain while you were there? I was lucky to be able to last February while in S.A. The view is amazing. I also thought C.T. was a lovely city and quite upscale.
    Thanks for sharing your photos.
    David's mom

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It really is Matt. Oh, and this area of the country is wine country, the equivalent of our Napa Valley. This is a vineyard that is next to the Bed & Breakfast where I stayed.
    [​IMG]

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

David's mom,

No, not this time.

However my wife, daughter, and I traveled there in December 2010 and we did take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain on that trip. Cape Town is a really nice place.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very nice. Your pics over the last few years have completely bunked my preconceived images of what I though South Africa looks like. I just had something far different in mind. Very very scenic.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Real nice Tim, glad to see you enjoying your time as an ex-pat. Wish my tour down south was like that!

Nice clubhouse - how is the bar?

Oh and just to poke ya in the eye - bird season opened here on Saturday and the quail crop is 4 stars. (just so you don't forget to come home)

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've enjoyed your pics over the time you're there. I, too, had no idea what the area would look like. Question, however, do they shoot the same or similar games found in the US of A or more like Australia or ??.....do, breakemall

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Greg,

Hope your dog has lots of solid points, and hope you have a great time hunting bobwhites!

Bob,

They shoot a lot of games here.

ATA trap is probably the most common game, but they only shoot singles and doubles (and very few people enter the doubles events.)

DTL Trap is also very popular. It is similar to ATA, except the targets are marginally faster, the targets are true 3-hole, and you can shoot twice (3 points for a first shot kill, 2 points for a second shot kill.) A perfect DTL score is 300.

Other events shot are Olympic trap, Olympic doubles trap, NSSA skeet, Olympic skeet.

Also, they shoot a lof of FITASC sporting and 5-stand.

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Do most clubs abroad have a bunker or several bunkers?I have shot some in Mexico but never abroad.Thanks

Darr

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks Tim, now, regarding the vineyards "like Napa Valley", does the wine have a similar reputation? Thanks in advance......breakemall

BTW - Hi Darr, long time no chats. breakemall too!

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Darr,

Yes, most of the clubs I have visited here in South Africa have at least one Olympic bunker.

Bob,

I'm not a wine guy, but by all accounts from folks who are, the wines here are excellent, and very inexpensive.

Oh, and there are acres and acres of olive orchards around Cape Town too.

15. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I made it to Cape Town in 1955 aboard the USS MIDWAY. One of the things I remember was the wind always blowing thru the streets. I wasn't interested in shooting at the time, at least not a gun. Craps was mostly what we shot. I also remember that if you wanted a cold beer, someone would get you one, but they kind of turned up their noses at the uniniated. Loved it there, people couldn't have treated us better. Got a lot of invites to go to their homes, and yes, you must attend a Cricket game. I have always wanted to take my family there, but they are all living their own lives now, and damned near ready to draw Social Security. One son is 61, the other is 62 and my daughter is 57. Maybe they will take ME there. Beautiful place, beautiful people. Herb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
valley gun club cape town

valley gun club south africa