1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Valley Forge Gun show -- a review

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Went to the Valley Forge Gun show yesterday. I was surprised that hunting and shotgun shooting sports were not what the show was about.

Survivalists, Nazi's, gang-bangers, and Para-military types were what the show was geared for.

Uzi's, Ak's, machine guns, military surplus, survival foods, pistols, bulk ammo for pistols, AK's, and Bushmasters were being sold.

Bullet proof vests, survival training, Nazi memorabilia, banana clips, barrel clips, knives of all kinds, gas masks, filters,etc...

There was nothing for the sportsman. Creeped me out a bit. It really did watching people buying all kinds of sub-machine guns and like equipment.

People walked in with guns strapped right over their shoulder, people walked around with all kinds of guns strapped over and not in cases.

I guess that is why there are "Sportsman" shows and "Gun Shows".

Or I missed the Armageddon is at hand and I should have bought one for myself.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

TROLL

Don,t come on a trap shooting web site and with your anti-gun BS.

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Wrong Dickhead no troll here.

I am all about guns, but... I was suprised at what the show was all about.

There are guns and there are Guns. I think I can be a moderate. When I see gang bangers and neo nazi's all over the place, to me it speaks volumes what they are about.

Sorry if I offended you but I was expecting to see trapguns, sproting guns, hunting guns, shotgun components, etc... More geared to sportsmen not people tht have guns for the purpose of killing people.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

That show has been like that for years. Shooting in the rain today for hams instead of that show seemed like a decent idea.

Maybe one or two tables that had shotguns the last time I visited about 5 years ago, the rest as exactly how you described it.

Smash Em,

Jerry

5. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

And no gun show would be complete unless 15 different people were selling beef jerky!!

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've found most gun shows to be like the one in Vally Forge. But I still go to most of them, as some good buys can be had if you take your time looking over the non-military tables.

One year ago at the show in Carlisle, PA, I bought a very lightly used 1994-vintage Remington Model 700ADL in .25-06. I went there looking for a Model 700 in .25-06 and it was the ONLY one in the show! I paid $360 for it including sales tax, added a BDL conversion kit, replaced the wood stock with a Bell & Carlson Medalist aluminum-reinforced graphite and fiberglass composite stock and added a 3.5-10x Leupold Vari-X III I had in my safe. It puts five #2552 117-grain Hornady Interlock boattail spitzers into a half-inch at 100 yards.

Last winter, my son and I went to the show at the State Farm Show building in Harrisburg. There I paid $18 each for three mint-condition boxes of Federal Premium 7mm T/CU factory ammo for my Contender. Try finding that stuff anywhere - I've seen 20-round boxes of once-fired 7mm T/CU brass sell for that much!

This summer, I went to the show at the York Fairgrounds. I didn't buy anything but there were a couple of things that had me tempted.

I can think of worse ways to spend the five to ten bucks it costs to get into a gun show as long as you go knowing that 75% of the tables aren't going to have anything on them that interests you. But you just never know what you'll find that will make the trip worthwhile.

Ed

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Gang bangers and neo nazis? Ha ha. More like posers just having a good time dressing up. I've been going there since the 70's, and I don't see it like that. It's changed, but it's more like yuppies with harley's. Most of those neo nazis and gang bangers looking fellas are probably our trusted law enforcement officers on their day off. Last time I checked, face to face transactions are still legal among Pa. residents. Just law abiding gun owners following the law. Trap guns have never been good sellers at gun shows let alone gun shops, and trap shooters don't frequent shows like other gun enthusiasts. Why are you knocking them anyhow? Military guns are cool, along with handguns, muzzleloaders, and just about everything else that has to do with guns. To each his own. I didn't go, but if I did, I'll bet I could have found a few Browning BT99's, Winchester 101's, and Remington 870 traps. There always seems to be a couple there, plus any powder and other components at high cost. I don't know of any show that caters to the trap crowd, and I've been to quite a few. Yeah, a few sellers of high dollar guns may come once in a while, but you can't count on them to be there, and have what you want at a decent price. It's not so bad as you say about the people, but many shows generally are not as good as they used to be. Guys are jacking the prices up on vintage military stuff, but there are still deals to be had. I don't know how most of those guys make any money. Seems not worth it to me. I still go and have a good time. Don't always find what I want, but sometimes I walk away very happy.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I figure it costs about a much to go to a movie as it does to a gun show, so I go to kill a couple hours, and if I find something neat (a couple old shotshell boxes at the most recent one I went to) all the better, if I end up only seeing some neat guns, i've had more fun than watching a movie. If you want target shotguns, go to a shoot w/ lots of vendors. If you like all kinds of guns, a gun show is a good way to entertain yourself for a few hours.

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. Most of the stuff at the shows is a waste of time, but I always find something interesting. Last show I attended, I picked up a nice Western brand trout knife with a yellow handle and good sheath for 10 bucks. I also found an almost new RCBS die set in .222 Rem Mag for my brother for 15 bucks. You just have to look beyond all of the Rambo wannabe types.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

JA, you are right about the Valley Forge gun show. Next time go to the Leesport gun show. You will have a completely different experience. It's a show for sportsmen, not paramilitary wannabes.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

BEANIE BABIES! What's a gun show without Beanie Babies? Actually that one seems to have run its course. there is usually a table full of old searrgant strip and battalion patches, WW2 medals, and assorted militaria.

There is also the scary looking swarthy individual with the Rambo knives and water purification tablets.

God, think if it was all pot bellied trap shooters with worn out Perazzi's!

I don't like some of it but I do like some of it.

And I bought a very trick knife sharpener that I love last time I went.

Live and let live.

HM

12. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

At nearly all gun shows I have attended it is,"pay your admission and take your chances". Some are good and some are not..........Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pa gunshow couple knife sharpeners