1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Valero Shuts Another Oil Refinery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Unknown1, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Does this make any sense to anybody? The price of gas goes up; they explain that we don't have enough refinery capacity to keep up with demand; then they pull a stunt like this:

<I>Valero Permanently Closes Delaware City Refinery</I>

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

Historically, the refining portion of the oil industry has been one of very thin profit margins. I don't know why, but that's the lay of the land. Profits are low enough that in fact a lot of the domestic refining capacity has been sold to overseas interests. Couple that with the fact that we (the US)haven't had a new refinery built in over 35 years, and the environmentalists probably won't let us build new, and what we are stuck with is old facilities that need massive amounts of updating, especially in light of ever tighter environmental regs. In particular, the proposed cap and trade legislation that your President is pushing will increase refining costs, reduce doemstic refining capacity by about 10%, and increase our reliance on imported refined product. All in all, the refinery business is not a good place to be and Valero may have just seen the handwriting on the wall.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Are there that many left to close?

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

There ain't that much profit in refining a barrel of crude. One of my chemical engineering profs. estimated the margin to be in the low single digits back in the 90's, based on feedstock prices, how many gallons of C8 you can get from 55 gals. of crude, and what you can sell the refined product for at the pump.

Basically, the refiners/retailers are sandwiched in between what the greedy A-rabs charge per barrel, and what the average lottery-playing schmuck can afford to pay at the pump. There ain't a lot of scratch room between the two...which is why they push twinkies, cokes, and cigarettes so hard (joe sixpack can apparently afford the outrageous markups on those).

Figure in all the commie environmental bullshit...I'm not surprised it's a losing deal.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

More and more products we use are being manufactured outside the USA mainly because of production costs and regulations. The same can be said for refining the crude oil elsewhere and importing the finished product.

6. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Closing refineries creates a gasoline shortage which in turn make prices higher. Govt loves this as higher prices means higher taxes the user pays.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hey buzz, there's 42 gallons in a barrel of oil, but you're pretty much right about the rest

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

slic lee I was under the impression the Goverment taxed fuel by the gallon, not the retail price per gallon. So your statement does not ring true. Jake

9. B V

B V TS Member

Local sales taxes are based on the price per gallon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.