1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vacuum bags for clothes for travel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with these bags? Going to the World Skeet in October. At this point, I plan on buying a Pelican 1700 case (or similar), putting my gun in a boyt takedown case in it, then packing the rest with clothes, to cushion the gun, and cut town on a checked bag if possible.

Anyone have experience with the vacuum space-saver bags? Most of the stuff I'm taking isn't that "fluffy" (most of the ads i've seen show fitting alot of pillows or comforters in them), so I'm not all that sure how well it'll work with regular clothes.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm interested, too. Do the clothes get extremely wrinkled?

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

I haven't tried one of those products, but i did learn to pack a little differently when my wife was in the clothing business and the line of clothes she sold lended themselves to being rolled up tightly. Since i can dress in the dark and always be in style, i find rolling my clothes, especially my collared shirts, t-shirts and jeans, takes up a little less space and when i arrive at destination, i can unroll them and they come out just fine.

When i go on a long range fishing trip, i don't have to worry about rolling and packing for the return trip home as everything gets chucked except the clean change of clothes i brought with me. More room for fish! I think the vacuum bags are a gimmick, like so much of what is being offered on TV.

4. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I use them for packing for my annual trips from FL to IA and vice/versa BUT I have a vacuum cleaner for suction at both residences. Will wrinkle clothes slightly. HarryC

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For storing all kinds of stuff that takes up a lot of space the vacuum bags are great. You pack it until you can't get anything else in there then suck the air out. A 12" high packed bag becomes 3-4" high.

Eric

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Skeetman,

Get there early enough to find a Goodwill or similar outlet. Take underwear only. You can buy shorts for $3-4, and shirts for the same or less. For $20-25, you can buy outfits to shoot in, one to wear home, save the packing, and help out the charities.

Danny, Always Thinking

PS - Don't look too closely at my attire.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Clothes from thrift shops need to be steamed or washed before wearing, otherwise you risk contracting scabies.

8. ChetH

ChetH Member

I use the kind where you expel the air by rolling the bag up. I only use them for underwear and things I don't mind getting wrinkled. For shirts and pants, I use the bundle method. I put a link above. It actually works quite well.

chet

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Went on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic in June. My wife and I packed our pillows and our bulky sheets/towels in these things and they were great. Used a shop vac to suck the air out.

Didn't use them on clothes but if you fold them nicely the vac/bags should act like you were pressing them. I'd suggest putting each item in a dry cleaner's bag after folding, then carefully layering them in a vac/bag and sucking the air out. Should work great.

Good luck.

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I use vacuum bags home they are great for storage. On a trip where go you get a vacuum to repack?

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Uncle Sam taught most of you how to live out of a duffle bag. It worked then, it still works. Most all of your clothes can stand to be rolled & if your fussy about wrinkles, consider a "steamer" When it's time to return home, everything gets rolled and packed securely.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.