1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vacation in London- anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'm traveling with the family to London in a week - a graduation present for the kids (I was not given any say in the matter). Should we try to blend in with the locals, clothing-wise, or does it not really matter? I was told to not even think about taking over my 2.5-inch folding penknife, which is merely a very handy tool to carry around; not even in my checked luggage.

Any other suggestions? Many thanks.

Porcupine

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Rent that Bill Murray European Vacation movie and see if that gives you any ideas.

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Look left first before crossing the streets!!!

4. mt

mt Member

The people are great, lots of things to do and see. As in most of europe most do not wear sneakers unless at the gym....my collegues tell me its a dead giveaway of an american tourist....as are safari clothing.

The food has gotten so much better...tons of neat restaurants now...lots of indian and indonesian and fusion and fancy french restaurants.....and everyone tries fish and chips at least once.

some of the older shops still have that wonderful service experience. nice sweaters and some fine old guns shops....expensive but kind of neat to see.

kids might like the castles/tower experience.....

5. jlb

jlb Member

If you plan to use the tube or busses purchase your passes prior to leaving USA as the prices, at least years ago, were much less. If you go in the Heathrow you can redeem your pass in the airport and then take the tube into London. This option represents quite a saving. The same pass is good for the bus system and the tube.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Do not take a lot of cash. Use your credit cards, they have the best exchange rate. How old are the kids?

7. William681

William681 Member

Do the London walks
    Plenty to choose from.
    The Ripper and the Pub Crawl are good ones.
    www.walks.com
    www.london-walks.co.uk

Bill

8. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Porcupine:
    Make sure you go to Holland & Holland. The wife and I took the "tube" and then walked. Its in a residential/light commercial area. If you want to see nice stuff it really is worth the time. Besides that its free to look. The attendants all wear sport coats and ties which is a bit different than most gun shops. All sorts of clothing for the hunting/shooting sports. Some matched pairs were going for $100k+. The Holland & Holland factory is not in London but outside of the city.

PS - Make sure and take the city bus tour on one of the double decker busses. Very informative and relatively inexpensive.

Eric Schmidt

9. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

Bag the England trip and go to Italy!!!

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Bag the trip entirely and get a new gun!!!

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Don't crack no jokes about the Queen and her throne when your sitting on the one in your room ... Them folks is real touchy when it comes to talking about the Queen and her throne, not to mention crumpettes and other things they got over there ... If you want to blend in just walk around limp wristed like your Gay and they will think your one of them, till they hear you talk and then they will just think your Gay ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Do not breath the air. I read that some air samples taken in the city are mostly Cocane and pot or was that Rome? Any way have a good time and try to blend in.
    Ila

13. JEB

JEB Active Member

I go to London from time to time for business. It is expensive, but not crazy if you use your head. Contrary to some other opinions here, the food is not bad. Go to The Ivy, you will spend money, but not go broke. It is London's most popular restaurant, but make reservations NOW by e mail. Also Rules, the most British restaurant in London. Try fish and chips at a pub and maybe a pint. The Tower is a must and I love the military museum, not the correct name, on the far side of the Thames. Holland and Holland and perhaps Purdy's and Evans are required. Holland & Holland even has its own shooting grounds, read sporting clays,with world class coaches on the northside of London. Go on the Eye, a huge ferris wheel and perhaps a play if you have the time, money or inclination. I always use the tube to get around, but take at least one taxi ride. It's not like Newe York, you will actually have a native who really knows his city.
    I have been to England many, many times and never met a person who did not like Americans, as long they were not loud or obnoxious. In St Paul's at the alter there is a roster of American WWII dead, it is chilling. Just avoid wild or sloppy clothes, you don't have to be formal, stay comfortable. I always get a feeling of our roots when visiting. Have a great time.

John Bergman

14. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Thanks for all the advice. JBrooks, my kids are 20 and 18. I hear I'll be able to drink with them legally in the UK.

No one has addressed the pocketknife issue; should I leave it here?

Thanks.

Porcupine

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

We were there directly after 9/11 and I always carry a pocket knife. BUT it's got to be in your luggage when going through the airport.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The pocket knife will fall under "Homeland Security" and I'd leave it home just to be safe, they have knifes over there if you need one ... Have a nice trip and "Cherrio" old Chap, tut tut and whatever else they say across the pond ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

if you're bringing your pocket knife to the UK i'd recommend you put it in your hold luggage, they get a bit twitchy when they find such things on your person or in your cabin bag...only real thing that would happen is that it would get confiscated never to be seen again!

Food wise, the quality in the UK has improved greatly whether you want to eat in a small pub for a reasonable price or spend the extra and eat in one of the many high class restaurants, personally I'd be in a nice back street establishment enjoying a nice pint and a nice steak :)

If you fancy some shooting, ring round or email them first. There are somereally good grounds within 30 minutes to an hour from the centre of London which will offer English Sporting, DTL (16 Yard ATA approximately), English Skeet. Plus there are others which have facilities for Olympic Skeet, Trap (Bunker), FITASC Sporting, Compact Sporting, ABT (Wobble Trap), ZZ, there is even one ground which has a NSSA Skeet layout.

The UK Association website is www.cpsa.co.uk it should give you all the information you require, the grounds will also give you information on the hire of shotguns and purchase of ammunition.

Hope this is of some help

Andy Herrett
    Laporte UK Trap Technician

18. calilori

calilori TS Member

London is my favorite city in the world. Email if you are serious about wanting to know anything about it.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The knife is ok if you check it. The kids will probably want to be on their own quite a bit. First thing is to take a 24 hour hop on hop off bus tour. http://www.theoriginaltour.com/ It give you a great overview of the city that you cannot get taking the Tube. You can use the Tube to go back later.

The A list places in London are the Tower, St Pauls, Westminister Abbey and the British Museum. Figure at least 3 hours for each. Do not miss the Food Halls at Harrods. Nothing else like them anywhere.

Take the train out to Hampton Court Palace. Show the ticket seller your Tube pass and you get a break on the price. Take the train out to Oxford for Blenheim Palace, or a bit further to Moreton-on-Marsh and then the bus to Burton-on-the-Water for a true Cotswald Village experience.

Don't worry about blending in. London is a great metropolitan city and so full of tourists no one even notices.

We have sent over 30,000 people to London and if you want to ask any specific questions about your hotel location or getting around, send me an email at xxjimtyner@tmxus.comxx and I will send you my contact details.

20. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I lived outside of London for a couple of years, some recommendations above are good, email me if you want some neat ideas.

don(dot)rackley(at)us(dot)fujitsu(dot)com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.