1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VA health care

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by jakearoo, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Who has VA health care? Does it work ok for you? Would you rather the system was abolished and you had to get private health care?

2. Hawkeye Kid

Hawkeye Kid TS Member

I have VA health care, but I only go once a year(required to stay in program).
    I get some of my meds free,& one pair of eye glasses per year.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

My mom did. They gave her (and me) diethylstilbestrol, and I ended up with an unusual type of cancer at a young age. We could not join the class action lawsuit because we were military. Enlisted had to sign a waiver (which included a waiver for the treatment of family members) basically signing your right to sue away.

Although my sons use it (because they are military), they are constantly complaining about the quality of service (they say it is not good and they hate it), but they cannot go outside of the plan because it would be too costly for them.

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I use the local VA clinic for my yearly check-up, meds and for occasional problems. I also use local doctors when needed. Just talked to my VA doctor about knee replacement surgery. The hospital were I would have to have the surgery done is about 30 miles away and my wife doesn't drive much. Discussed using local doctors and local hospital. This was OK with the VA as long as I kept them informed on what was happening.

5. STOS

STOS Member

My wife and i both go to the VA in spokane wa and love it.We could not be happier with the care we get.Not to mention the cost or the lack of it.Bruce

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I see the VA doctor every six months and get all my meds from the VA. I also have a private doctor that I see annually. He works with my VA doctor for any prescription that I need.

I was accepted by the VA in July of 2002 and to date I am very pleased with the service. I can only hope that, with all the news about government health care they let the VA alone.

I am also on Medicare along with a supplemental insurance policy.

Again I can only hope that the government does not F this up, I am totally pleased with the health care I now get and DON'T want any changes.

Frank

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Full VA care, two physicals annually, free meds, and hearing aids. Fantastic program, do not want a change.

8. Twixter

Twixter Member

I have been on the VA Plan for about 15 years and could not have better care anywhere. Maybe I'm lucky with where I live, (Madison Wi) as the Va and the University of Wis Hospital are connected, both Doctor wise and building wise. I've passed on medicare because I think I get better care at the VA. Just my thoughts. Mick McGinley

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I qualify,but have chosen to go a different route. My experiences with military medical services was not good !

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When I switched to VA from a private company I saved over $600 per month. I guess I earned VA benefits, Vietnam was no fun.

I agree with Shooting Coach and what he said:
    "Full VA care, two physicals annually, free meds (almost), and hearing aids. Fantastic program, do not want a change."

11. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I to am 100% VA care. The care I have been given would be hard to to get in the private sector. I have worn hearing aids since 1974 and never found an insurance company that would give a dime for even a test. In 1990 the supreme court ruled that the VA had to reconise hearing loss so we now have that benifit. I wear two aids and the VA gives me both and all the supplies in the private secter the cost is $3,500.00 each aid, $75.00 per mold, then add batteries and tubes, and no insurance. I see my doctor every six months and at my last checkup he saw a slight flaw in my EKG less that one month I had a stress test and three stints installed cost was $00,000.00. The Houston VA Hospital IMO is better that any Hospital I have ever been to. I also get millage to travel to Houston $.415 per mile round trip.

12. cementman

cementman Member

To be eligible for benefits are there income or net worth restrictions??

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

From a care perspective --70 percent of the docs in the country have worked in a VA at one time or another= as a student - resident- intern- etc- doc—The VA has often been the leader in some innovation.
    The better VAs attract better quality staff-- as a government employee operated system- you have all types of employees- and of course it is hard for them to lose their job
    Some great people and some not so great on staff
    Some great facilities and some that are just downright depressing
    It varies
    I do a lot of Veterans law- so I do have cause at times to have malpractice and other actions against the VA
    From the Veterans side- there are real heroes walking the halls each day that get care there- they deserve the best we can afford.
    Generally you need service connection to be seen at the VA but that isn’t always the case and varies by facility actually. The other way to be seen is by being below the threshold for income- a means test.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Hmm. If most of you who get VA health care like it then why would not a similar or same system work for all of us? Isn't the VA system the model for how a single payer system would work in America?

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

jake, I am afraid not. Part of the reason that we have pretty good care at the VA is, and I am using the previous posts, that they get their 2 physicals, meds, hearing aids etc. I notice no posts regarding complicated procedures, cancer, MRI, CAT etc.

They also have a limited number of users and most of those DON'T believe in going there for a bandaid or the sniffles.

Now add on "50 million" uninsured who WOULD be running there for every little sniffle or scraped knee and no increase in the infrastructure, i.e. doctors, nurses, rooms, RT's etc and their care would be down hill drastically.

BTW, where did you come up with the "single payer" system,,,,hussein doesn't want that system....LOL

16. BBob

BBob TS Member

I receive all of my medical care and prescriptions from the Seattle VA Medical Center. All care is prompt and excellent. I could never expect better service as it is the absolute best it can be right now! Bill

17. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Hello, I used to be an EMT on a local ambulance service here, back in the 70s and I used to get in a pissing contest with the people in receiving at the local VA to where I am here in western Pa., he always told me "we dont pay volunteer ambulances" I still think he was a shill put there by the hierarchy and was told to buffalo as many people as he could so they didnt have to pay. They also had a doctor in receiving who would talk very loudly, scream is more like it, we arent going to admit him there is nothing wrong. And to facilitate this process, they wouldnt let us take the patients off of our gurney, until doctor screamer had the opportunity to deny them admission.
    My Dad is a WW 2 vet and has been going to the same VA since about 5 months after the war ended. He was there a year or 2 ago and suffered a heart attack. The VA hospital called an ambulance for him which took him to the local regular hospital where he received a cardiac catheterization and further treatment. He also recently had a syncopal (fainting and choking)episode with low blood oxygen which wound up having him taken to the local hospital-again by local EMS. He still swears by them and bitches constantly about President Bush raising the co-pay he had to pay to be seen. They seem to be designed to facilitate the runaround for anyone who goes there. I have nothing against them personally, but I am not a veteran and dont have to rely on the system.
    Thanks to all you veterans who did serve this country, YOU deserve a lot better than what you have in this VA system.

Kevin McIlwain

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

Jake you are only getting a very small portion of veterans to reply. I for one went to the VA right after my discharge from the Air Force. I swore to my wife that I would never ever go back no matter what. I haven't and that has been 32 years now. We have a very large VA hospitial he in Milwaukee and I have some major heart and lung issues. From what I can gather they are not prepared to handle the issues such as mine there. The few guys that I have talked to that have had major surgery there said never again. Yes it is a major strain on the budget for health insurance but when I walked into the hospital last Tuesday I didn't have to worry about being told I would have to wait a month or more for my cath. They did it the same day just like if I were a illeagle alien just having crossed the river a few hours ago.

19. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Are all of you commenting on the VA quality of care disabled, that is service connected disabled? The man that commented on his wife not driving much and the VA hospital being all of 30 miles away. No children, grandkids, neighbors taht drive? Hell I drove 30 miles one way to Jeep for 25 years. I do belive here in Toledo there is a satelite VA clinic and they have a shuttle bus that goes to Ann Arbor to the VA hospital there. Now then back to the subject of disabilities, A fellow I worked with at Jeep drew $400.00 amonth from the VA because he had diabetes. Well he was about 5'6" and near to 300 pounds and did not take care of his disease very well. He and I made the same money doing the same job and at times made around $100,000.00 a year. I find it very distastefull that the slob drew money for a disease he contracted mostly due to his terrible lifestyle. He got in on the Agent Orange bandwagon as I understand it. I know that Agent Orange problems are a real thing so don't beat me up about my comments. I too am a Vietnam veteran/Cu Chi the whole year of 1967. Well minus 8 days because I got out on a Santa Claus rotation and got home to my family on Christmas day 1967

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

va health care forums