1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VA Benefits and Medicare

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I have using VA health benefits (Vietnam) for some time. When I hit 65 how will this co-ordinate with Medicare?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My Dad, a WWII vet, is 88 and is still in the VA system. Some of his medical care is covered by Medicare, some by VA.

Like an above poster said, IT DEPENDS.

3. johara1

johara1 TS Member

i'm on 100% and 65 didn't change anything...........jim

4. johara1

johara1 TS Member

5. johara1

johara1 TS Member

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends on your rating, the basis for the rating and if you have any special circumstances- such as purple heart, POW, Agent Orange- etc

Ask them at the hospital- in the eligibility section to figure that out for you

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

When your on medicare and your anual income exceeds I believe this year is $33,400 after deducting medical expenses you will pay the same co pay as you would using medicare, Dr. visits $15.00 at the Va, Hospital care not sure what the deductable is and less health issue is military related. Some 5/6 years ago, I was reading an article about an Army Col. who fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam, recieving the Medal of Honor and many others awards retiring. He was living in Florida at the time and was refused help from the Va because of his income. Never found out if this injustice was ever corrected...Mike

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If this Army Col retired from military service he and his family would be on tricare for life at no charge. Income doesn't come up. Free medication if he lives near a military base.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

something is wrong with the Army Col story- first as mentioned above- he has Tri Care - but if it was a long time ago- he might have been shifted to Medicare except for prescriptions

But with the Medal of Honor he also would have been in a special category

Gene

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i am 30%. and continued paying $1400 a month in health insurance (wife and i ) for many years. Now i am semi retired health care costis killing me so i went back to VA. Outstanding service. Saved about $700.00 per month.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Speaking of agent orange anyone getting benifits for this?

12. coho

coho Member

I’m a pharmacist and work for the VA but don’t know much about how your benefits work. The pharmacy doesn’t do billing,yet. Your Va should have a patient rep who can help you get that info. Just call the main number at your VA and ask for the patient rep and that person should get you what you need to know. I’ve worked in 6 non va pharmacies - both hospital and retail and the service you get at the va is so much better than any place else I’ve worked its unbelievable. this pharmacy gives extremely good patient care and the set up in our out patient department is second to none. No joke. Soon our inpatient department will be there as well. I find myself envious that I cant get the kind of health care I help provide. It doesn’t exist out side of the va. If you’re a veteran and qualify, you should take full advantage of your benefits. We have 22 people in our pharmacy department and most are here because they want to help veterans. It sure makes a difference in the work environment and service.

13. mike moncilovich

Hey guys, I was confused by the article also and the last thing wrote said congress would have to change something or caused his problems. Wished I had saved the piece, but anyhow the VA refused him hospital care. Something like this is appalling and one doesn't forget it...Mike

14. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

VA Benifits and Medicare
    I have tricare,VA and medicare............. I go to VA. I co-pay my prescriptions. Heart and colesteral. 12.00 each prescription total 24.00
    I found that it does not matter how many pills each pricription, so I ask the doctor to make it 90 for each one. before it was 45.
    Bud

15. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

When the new Bush Medicare programm was put in place, I received a letter from the VA stating that if I was retirement age I had to choose either the VA or Medicare.

Now I am not near retirement age, but you really need to do your digging around on this issue. Like many stated it really depends on how much disability you have.
    From what I understand is that you have to be over 30% service connected to essentially get total health care with no cost. Now there are certain circumstances like purple heart...etc.

Your local VA should be able to help, although it is a pain in the A$$ finding the right people that know what they are talking about.
    From what I hear, from the elders, Medicare sucks compared to the VA, but like I said I have no experience.

I am 80% Service Connected so I never have to worry about health care.

Semper Fi!

16. mike moncilovich

Rip12, did you have to get a lawyer do get your disablity? Our sportsmen club president's son in 2003 was in Iraq and was given 30%. Just this fall his attorney got him a 100%. Shame vets have to go thru this. It is sort of like civlians fighting auto insurance companies for compensation...Mike

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

My opinion on Veterans benefits: Most deserve themand I just read an article in my daily paper that says benefits vary from state to state. A vet from Oklahoma will on average draw about $4000.00 more than one from Ohio? I am a vet myself and thank God I am healthy. I retired on the same day with a fellow vet that is about six years younger. He is in poor health. 5'6" and about 330 pounds. Bad shoulder, bad knees etc. The rubber is that he is diabetic and has drawn $400.00 a month for several years. He did not have diabetes while he was in the service. He worked more overtime than I did and made over $100,000.00 a year many many times. Now then how can the VA pay this guy because he is a lard ass and gave himself diabetes from stuffing his pie hole? bill

18. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

While on the subject of the VA, I am about to have my rating raised from 10% to somewhere between 60 - 100% for A.O. related respiratory throat cancer. I have been told that disability rating initially granted remains the same for life regardless whether you stay disease free for the remainder of your life. Others tell me that you can be adjusted every 6 months. Anyone know what's real world?

Thanks, Steve Shewalter

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I under stood that everyone had a reevaluation once a year.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I was put on 60% VA when I was discharged in 1969---gunshot wounds, nerve damage loss of function. As I recall they re-evaluated me a couple times in the next five years and then called me permanent 60% disabled.

"Speaking of agent orange anyone getting benifits for this?" Yeah, I have a buddy who developed prostate trouble a few years ago (like 40 years after VietNam), he convinced the VA that his problems were due to exposure to agent orange so they put 'im on 100% disability. He was the manager of the EM Club (company bartender). I think he got exposed to a lot more Budweiser than defoliant?

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.