1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VA Benefits and Medicare Revisited

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I was at the VA clinic last week for my annual blood work. I asked the Doc if I needed both VA benefits and Medicare. He said probably not because I Am healthy. BUT--He mentioned that if you have an emergency like a heart attack or a severe accident the ambulance is required to take you to the closest emergency room. The VA hospitals will only admit you if you are stable-all vital sign normal.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would contact the VA directly, but I would suspect that in the event of an emergency, the VA would extend some ER benefits to get you stable, but once stable have you transferred to a VA facility for continued observation and/or treatment - somewhat similar to an HMO... in a "true" emergency one can go anywhere, but once the emergency passes, you are expected to go in-network.

Regarding Medicare, remember Part is no cost for "hospital" coverage... Part B is the "doctor" portion you pay for.

Jay

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bigunn, Please clarify what your were saying for me. I am retired from Air Force and receive a pension and do some side work and make less than $30,000.00 total but I am on Tricare Prime. Nearest military facility or VA is 75 miles. Does that make me eligible for travel expense? I know that I can go to a local hospital with an emergency and will sign up for Social Security next year at age 62. Trying to learn what my options are now. Jackie B.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shooting Jack, Id go on line to the Tricare site, lots of good information.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

way too complicated to discuss in general terms

your details are the most important- but even tri care for retirees requires you enroll in medicare part b I hink

If you are tri care eligible - call the tri care rep

If you are VA care eligible only - call or go see the VA rep with your disability rating in hand if you have one

Once you get an opinion in person- or what you think is an opinion- write that up- type it- and send it in- and ask them to confirm that in writing

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.