1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VA BAKER SAYS "NO" TO JOE BIDEN STOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ApGl6OtMsfQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Joe Potosky

VA BAKER SAYS

Secret Service bought cupcakes to thank baker for turning down Biden

August 16, 2012

Secret Service officers associated with Vice President Joe Biden bought a pile of cupcakes from the baker who refused to host Biden at his shop — and they did so out of gratitude.

It’s a startling news nugget at the bottom of a local report. “hortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people ‘no’ — the secret service walked in and told [owner] Chris McMurray ”Thanks for standing up and saying ‘no’ — then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes,” according to the Valley Reporter (Va.).

McMurray refused to host the Biden entourage as a protest of Obama’s comment, made in the nearby town of Roanoke, that “if you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that.”

The Secret Service’s purchase proved to be a herald of things to come, as Virginia locals rewarded McMurray with a rush of business this morning. The bakery ran out of food by 1:15 pm.

3. Joe Potosky

VA BAKER SAYS

Radford bakery that turned Biden away sells out of 'freedom cookies'

RADFORD — An Ohio man’s interaction with candidate Barack Obama in 2008 gave rise to “Joe the Plumber.”

Now, a Radford businessman’s decision not to host an “unscheduled” campaign event with Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday has sparked a news story that’s gone viral and led to a surge in business.

Just call him, “Chris the Baker.”

Chris McMurray had just opened his bakery, Crumb and Get It, Wednesday morning when he received a visit from Biden’s advance team asking if he’d host the vice president for a media event on the way to his scheduled speech at Virginia Tech.

McMurray politely declined out of a difference in politics, and Biden instead went up the street to the River Street Grill instead.

Later that day, WDBJ (Channel 7) reporter Orlando Salinas received a tip about Crumb and Get It via text message. The resulting story was picked up by the Drudge Report and a series of conservative blogs, leading to an outpouring of support online and at the store on Thursday.

At noon, McMurray turned down an interview request because he was too busy fielding a steady stream of orders, both from customers at the store and out-of-state patrons. A little more than an hour later, he closed the store because it had run out of cookie dough. It reopened a few minutes later, but with a sign in the window noting that only ice cream was being sold.

“It’s been a great day, a lot of great support,” McMurray said when he had a moment to talk. “A lot of folks are calling orders from out of state for local businesses and charities. That’s what we’ve got to catch up on.”

McMurray said the exchange with the Biden advance team had taken place just after he opened the store at 10 a.m.

“They said, ‘This is a place that we’ve identified for Mr. Biden’s stop,’ and they asked permission, if that would be OK,” McMurray said. “After much thought, I respectively declined. The exchange was very kind. It wasn’t at all heated. It was not at all hoarse. Even when she departed, it wasn’t at all ill-mannered. They were very nice. I told her no offense to the vice president, and she received that. We just had a difference of opinion politically.”

McMurray said that “convictions about my faith” factored into his decision not to host Biden. On a wall at the back of the bakery is painted this slogan, “Family: One of God’s masterpieces.”

The other reason that McMurray declined was President Obama’s attitude toward business.

“Very simply, ‘You didn’t build that’ [Obama] speaking of small businesses and entrepreneurs all across the country,” McMurray told WDBJ’s Salinas on Wednesday evening.

Obama made the remark during his July appearance in downtown Roanoke. Republicans seized on the comment as an example of the president's disdain for small business; Obama and his Democratic Party defenders say he was speaking about public infrastructure and his comment has been taken out of context. At least three nonpartisan campaign fact-checking organizations have come to similar conclusions. Still, the political reaction was so strong that Obama filmed a TV commercial within days further explaining his support for small business.

After the WDBJ story aired, McMurray said, “It just went bananas. Great support. It’s been wonderful. Of course we’ve had a few people who’ve been very critical, but by far the vast majority has been supportive and encouraging.”

At one point during the lunch hour on Thursday, two dozen people stood in line waiting to order cookies.

Jackie Moore of Radford said he’d before never visited Crumb and Get It, but he ordered a dozen cookies after seeing McMurray’s story.

“I stand with them,” Moore said. “I don’t believe you should be pushed into entertaining the vice president if you don’t agree with him.”

Many others felt the same.

Gary Harris, a Vietnam War veteran and commander of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 776 who lives in Radford, said he picked up some “freedom cookies” to support Crumb and Get It. Like Moore, it was his first visit to the bakery.

“He spoke up for what he believed in,” Harris said. “I heard somewhere that it may help or hurt his business. He shouldn’t be penalized for speaking his opinion, I’m going to help him out all I can.”

Ron Witt, an insurance agent from Pearisburg, said, “I saw the story on television and I thought, I have to stop by and support these people ... It’s not political at all. It’s more a matter of principle. He just stood up for himself. It doesn’t have anything to do with the current administration or politics, at least for me.”

Eddie Boes of Blacksburg got the last batch of cookies before Crumb and Get It ran out of dough. Like Witt, Boes said he wanted to support a local businessman’s right to speak his mind.

“It’s a matter of not being afraid of the pressure,” Boes said. “A lot of people aren’t going to say what they think because they’re worried about retribution.”

But Boes said that because McMurray took a stand for his beliefs, he’s being rewarded with much more support from customers than he would have if he’d agreed to play host to Biden for a photo opportunity.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    VA BAKER SAYS

When Obama was in town here and had soup at a small cafe, the "regulars" around him were carefully chosen and invited.

Reminded me of Lonesome Rhodes "Cracker Barrel" TV show (movie "A Face in the Crowd starring Andy Griffith).

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

VA BAKER SAYS

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

This morning on the news, they are reporting Joe Biden, WILL remain on the ticket fot yhis November.

Hillary must have turned them down...........again.

6. Joe Potosky

VA BAKER SAYS

RE: audited next year as payback

Not if Obama is NOT re-elected!

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

VA BAKER SAYS

It is so refreshing to hear a story like this and the icing on the cake (pun unintended) is when the SS went in and thanked him, and also the customers buying him out

I still think all these polls showing Obozo winning are skewed

8. notarget

notarget TS Member

VA BAKER SAYS

This bakery is only about 40 miles from the location where Obama made his "You didn't build that" speech which apparently made a bad impression on the baker.

9. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

VA BAKER SAYS

I am glad to see this. I am still ashamed of my state for voting for Odumbass...Bill

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

VA BAKER SAYS

You have to remember that media people are either democraps or unemployed.

ctreay

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

VA BAKER SAYS

Hillary will not be second to anyone. She wants to be number one.

I have not found ONE Dem Pre who respect's the S Service. They all hate them and treat them like shit. Obama is no diff. He hates the S.S and the military.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.