1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

v-10 triton OIL PUMP R&R 99 f-350 SD 2WD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mx2005, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Any Ford mechanics could help I have a Lite rattle when firing up my 99 v-10 is it a big job to replace the oil pump and pick-up I did it in a 3500 GMC 454 before not a problem any help would be fine. Pat

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree...are you using cheap filters with cheap backflow check valves

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What makes you think changing oil pumps will make the "lite rattle" go away?

4. emm2

emm2 Member

Yes it is a big job as this engine is a modular design and the oil pump is in front of the engine and not under the oil pan like the older style engine. Not something you are going to want to tackle without the cam holding tools as the timing chains have to come off and there are no alignment marks on the timing components. That said the rattle is NOT caused by a bad oil pump, most likely piston pin slap or bearing movement. This is very common on all modular ford engines. If the noise goes away after a few seconds and only happens after it sits for a long period of time then i would do nothing about it. Synthetic oil helps some as it leaves a slicker residue on engine components.

5. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Check that your motor is a roller lifter setup before changing to full synthetic your may have to use the blended oil if it isnt. I had a friend that built up a motor in his mustang with flat tappet lifters and used full synthetic thinking it would be the best for the motor it gaulded the cam journals we did some research and found that synthetic oils are too slippery for flat tappet lifters in that it gets wiped away as the journal touches the lifter. I would also look at going to a heavier weight oil or try some of the lucas oil additive and see if you get good results. Kirk

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

PM Tron - he is a former Ford tech. I can tell you from my experience. I had it on a 2002 V10 and also on my 1998 5.4 Triton. When I start it it has a slight noise but goes away in seconds. It is worse in cold weather, I use synthetic Mobil 1 and it helps. Ford Tech told me to drive it and forget it. That was 40,000 miles ago, still purrs

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You may have a problem other thatn the pick up and pump. Some fords have probelsm with chain slap on start up. Find the source of the noise first

8. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

O.K. Thank you guys so much I WAS a GM TRUCK guy all my life until I Bought my
    first F-150 Super Crew in 03 I have been with Ford ever since and have 98 Expedition and still love it I didn't know that the pump was behind the cam chain and did know that the special tool is needed for the chain. I thank every one for their response and I know my 5.4 had a noise at first start up also, and they said it might be the cam chain tensioner. It does not last that long it is brief. Thank All you Ford mechanics and guys again I will keep the oil changed and I use a WIX filter I found they are still made the best and use 5-30w Motorcraft oil. Premium blend Pat.k.

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Open hood take radiator cap off and drive a new bowtie under it and reinstall cap, that will take care of your problem.lol

Lee

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Out of all the oil filters I've taken apart I believe it was STP that had the most element.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
forum v10 oil pump
priming oil pump for a ford v10

replacing oil pump on v10

replacing the oil pump on 99 f 350 v 10
testing an oil pump v10 triton
triton lite oil pump
v10 triton oil pump test
what does the oil pump on a triton v10 look like