1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UUUNNNGGGHHHH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have to relate an incident[?] at the MI state shoot today while it is still fresh in my mind. Myself and two other shooters from my home area traveled down there today to shoot a little and check out the vendors. We all decided to shoot 100 16 yd singles and squad up together, of course, this morning. We welcomed the two other strangers, who did not know each other, to our group and proceeded to the line. When it came for the guy behind me, a new guy, to call for his bird, he emitted a loud ARRGGHH-like grunt and broke his bird. I cracked up..lord help me it sounded like grandpa when he didn't get his prunes. It got worse on the nest station because the mike wasn't working right. AAAARGGGHH, UUUUNNNNGGGHH but no bird. I was on no.5 with my back to him and I could not keep it together. Only broke 3 on that one and I'm lucky I did that well. No complaints really, It's just this crazy world we live in. Bill

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Before someone jumps on me for being rude...I kept my mirth to myself, for the most part. Bill

3. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

How bout the guys that have a spazzzzzz attack just before they call for bird,
    barrel jumps around etc.

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

He wasn't a big bruiser from Canada was he ???

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

He actually was a European fellow. Italian, I think. Heavy accent. Bill

6. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I know how you feel! We have an older fellow that comes to our registered shoots, he sounds like sheep getting screwed when he calls a target. BAAAAAAAAAAAA??! I can never hold it together, I just avoid his squad so I dont have to laugh so much while i'm trying to shoot!

7. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I shot with a guy who blew a whistle.

8. LFT687

LFT687 Member

We have one of those where I shoot. Heck of a nice guy, but I can't shoot on the same squad because he cracks me up. Another guy lets out a "bing" like the old "Ricochet Rabbit" cartoon character. All in all, it's part of what makes trapshooting fun!
    Dave

9. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

The guy with the whistles probable had no voice for medical reasons

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used to see a guy with a whistle, (throat operation) at the Wisconsin shoot year after year.

He had a Springer or Brittany that walked from field to field with him, and would sit by the bench while he shot. when it was time to move that damn dog would pick up the end of his leash and walk along side him. (No words spoken, of course.)

HM

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Everyone is different, accept the differences and move on or let it cost you targets every time you run into something new. You will come to learn that nothing is more sacred that breaking targets onthe line,you do it your way to the best of your ability,I'll do it mine and we can shake hands afterward and look forward to the next time. If you think about it pull is a rather long word that isn't clear on start or end.

12. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I beg to differ. I wonder how many of them UGGGGHAAAA or YAAAAAA!!!! shooters really do it because they have to. It is different when you know they can not say PULL. But when they do that grunt I put money on it that 75% of them do it to give us a stir and throw us off. Like the tennis moaners. I love watching that. Now I could listen to them ladies matches allllll day if they have a good sounding gal. Then I have to say to that to each his own and I/we must stay more focused on our game and birds. But I to can not keep a straight face either when my father in law yells YUUUUUP for his bird or YA! YAAAAAA! It is imberassing...

13. WWB

WWB Member

I used to shoot with a guy who changed his call every bird...from grunts, to yaaaaaa's to pull to yes to clay to bird to well you get the idea...I avoided squading with him also.
    Willie

14. Donm

Donm Active Member

If you would pay as much attention to your game and not the way the person next to you calls for his target you would probably pick up a target or two in average.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What's really bad is when they set off your voice release from two trap houses over.

Well, one actually, but geez.

16. Donm

Donm Active Member

That's funny I don't find it hard to concentrate on my targets and ignore how they call. I've been shooting for 38 years and can't say that I have ever been annoyed by a call except when alot of people started using whistles when there was nothing wrong with their voices. And I have heard most of the strange calls. If you pay more for your targets than they do then you can complain. The only time it should be an issue is when as a previous poster said they set off the voice releases. There is a certain SRvet AA that set off our trap several times and he was two traps over. Tell him and you will get a ear full. I seen it happen last year at the Grand.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hey Shotgun people.....I'm a big bruiser and i'm from from Canada...but my call is "UPPP"!!

18. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Does the target get thrown at the beginning of the sound or the end? For example I see some people say a very quick PULL and other do a PPPPPPPPUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. In some cases it looks like the trap throws at the end of the sound. On other traps it throws earlier and the guy is still saying LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL when he pulls the trigger.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The biggerst reason people have different calls is so there isn't much movement in their upper body when they call.

I use it to my advantage, when I hear that call I know about when its my turn.

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

True likes, but I believe many do it just to draw attention to themselves. Some people are consumed with standing out in some fashion.

Early on I tried to stand out from the crowd by shooting really well, but that has proven to be an exercise in futility. Thankfully I haven't developed any other tactics that may be intrusive to others--that I'm aware of that is.....

I find really great looking women in proximity a very real detriment to the shooting task at hand much more than hog callers; but that's better left for another thread.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.