1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Utah State Shoot Using Pitch Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UtahYork, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I've heard there were some discussions on Bios vs. Pitch targets for the Utah State Shoot. I believe they will spend the extra money to throw Pitch targets this year. Are Pitch targets worth the additonal costs? I don't think I've had problems breaking Bio targets, but maybe those six targets I missed yesterday...? Just wondering what other states are doing this year? John

2. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

My 2 cents worth. My home club throws pitch. A nearby club throws bios. The only difference I can see is that pitch has a black cloud when you inkspot them and bios have a white cloud. My average is actually slightly higher shooting bios. I am class AA if it makes any difference. IMHO

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We bought Bios because there were no pitch available. When it got cold we were having trouble breaking them. When we went out and picked them up, there were holes in them but unbroken. Bios do not work well in very cold weather

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Some bios break differently than other bios. In the middle of a public shoot last year we had to switch form white flyer to champion. The scores immediately went down considerably. Bill in northern mi

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We switched over to WF Bio targets last year due to cost advantages. I was skeptical at first but now I believe they break just as easily as pitch. You even get to where you appreciate the white cloud when you smack them well.

I shot a neighboring club yesterday that still throws pitch targets - kind of fun to see the black clouds again too.

What it comes down to is cost. Right now I would rather pay the lower rate for Bios and not have to increase what we charge for targets.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

There is a difference between the two on breaks. Go with pitch.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bios are much more difficult to break when it's cold. We're in Western NY and couldn't go back to pitch fast enough when the bios were gone.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Get used to bios, one day pitch will be out as a base. Get used to steel shot too, lead will be unatainable. Is that even a word?

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Maybe if we only use bio targets we won't need the 30 yard line?

10. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

2013 Idaho Sate Shoot at Boise....will be throwing White Flyer Orange Dome pitch targets.

Roger

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Way to go RickN.....You will probably get an unwanted guest to comment on if they are real man targets. LOL

12. stockguy

stockguy Member

I'll take the pitch targets. I think they simply break better and don't kill the grass they fall into - not to mention the pitch targets are easier on the PAT Traps. Clubs trying to save money by using Bio's when they don't have to are doing their shooting customers a disservice. This hobby is very expensice the way it is and I'd just as soon pay for the best targets a club can throw.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Roger A = Have fun!

14. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

Throw pitch targets! I for one will not put clubs on my shooting schedule that throw the "cheap" bio targets (at least until I have no other option). I WILL have the Utah State shoot on my schedule IF they do decide to throw pitch targets.
    Jim Bauer

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

We shoot a lot of games, mostly 27 yd. chip shooting. Bio's leave a lot of bigger chips. Had to go to 7.5's to break birds hard enough not to leave chunks that cost you. When we have pitch targets 8's are just fine. I've also noticed that the table on the Pat is rusting up badly. I know that it scores the same, but I like to watch targets crush and not just brake into pieces. Bill

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

When White Flyer figures out how to dye the target material black, so they smoke black, they'll gain much higher acceptance. However my suspicion is that if they had to include the extra cost of the dye into the retail price, the cost advantage would disappear.

17. wolfram

Here is one you might enjoy Skeet Man - while in the transition between pitch and Bios, we still had our high skeet house with a full load of pitch and had to put bios in the low house. Shooting the pair from #7 you would get a white cloud followed by a black cloud (if ya did it right).

Now here is a question for the guys turning their noses up at Bios - what would you be willing to do to negate the cost saving offered by the bios over the pitch targets. Would you be willing to pay an etra buck a round? Would you volunteer a couple hundred hours per year as labor for the club? What would be acceptable?

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

So Wolfram what you are saying is that Bio's are about $5 per case cheaper? I don't know what the cost difference is but that is a important part of the dialog. If it is a buck a case that is one thing. If it is 5 bucks that's another. Anyone have the actual prices?

19. wolfram

Not $5 bucks a case cheaper but about $2.5K per truckload. Now that may seem like peanuts but we get 2 loads a year so there is $5K that we can use to keep the club in good shape. We have to do a whole lot of work to net $5K from our shoots each year and with our current economy that margin is rapidly shrinking. Raising prices is not necessarily a solution if you push your customers out of the game. Cutting cost is a more palitable approach all the way around.

The guys out there that are actively involved in running a small trap club know this stuggle well. A key thing to remember in this discussion is that us small time operators are for the most part volunteering huge chunks of our time and labor just to keep the clubs open and throwing targets. We want whats best for our shooters but we have to keep the gate open to make it work at all.

20. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you have grassy grounds, the bio's will turn it into a white sludgy moonscape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.