1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Utah Mall Shooting-type of shotshells used?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve-CT, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Does anyone know what type of shotshells were used in the Salt Lake, City, Utah Mall shooting?

Birdshot, Buckshot, Slugs? Guage? Action Type? Distance(s) of shots fired.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why is that important?

Eric

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Why do you ask?

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

You plan on holding up a mall some time soon??? LOL

-Jollytrapshooter

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    stevel-ct has not been known for trolling here, nor is an antigunner. I see no reason to belittle his request for data.<br>
    <br>
    As for the data, I don't know.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

mixer, gordon and jollytraphsooter - I'm asking a serious question, here.

Trying to determine what shells were used and at what distance partly as a form of reinforcing gun safety since lately there's a lot of bullshit floating about the net that birdshot can't kill, etc. I've seen a lot of assholes at gun clubs waving muzzles around like cheerleader's batons and actually overheard someone say "it's only birdshot, the worst it can do is hurt skin"
    I may present it to a director of a local hunter safety program.

If you want to add something constructive, chime in. Otherwise buzz the hell off. Especially jollyroger - your comment is beneath reproach.

Brian, thanks for chiming in for me.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Steve, I've noticed the same sort of thing along with guns being carried around with the action closed - so much so that I've written a column about it that will be published in one of the summer issues.

I even witnessed an older shooter remove his closed O/U from its soft case, turn it around so the muzzles were pointed at his face and study the choke tube markings. When another shooter closer to him than me said something to him, his reply was, "It's okay - I know it's empty."

Do we lose what common sense we had as we age?

Ed

8. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Average Ed-<br>
    Could you have that column available to us in a word file or post it here so that we could copy it and make it available to pass out to some of our less safety minded shooters. Many of the new shooters must be REMINDED several times about muzzle waving and quite a few of our game shooters seem to think that they can shoot and wait until they get to the gun rack before they open the gun and take out the empty shell. <br>
    One of our newest members is a nationally rated IPSC Range Officer and would like to see us enforce the "Open or Out Rule" on these guys. I KNOW it drives him crazy.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

On another line of thought, is it at all possible that the bird shot I use cannot, at times, kill handicap targets?

Pat Ireland

10. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

Pat,

I've recently discovered a similar thing. Depending on weather conditions I believe there is a phenomenon that occurs at long distances. You can be dead on a target from say the 26 and just as your shot arrives a hole opens right where the target is and passes through unscathed. Then somewhere behind me someone howlers LOST. It's very unnerving but I continue trying.

Shoot well,

Jim

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I would not want anyone shooting at me with "just bird shot" at any distance. Especially at any distance under say 15 yards. Have you looked at the hole in the target box at Neil's suggested distance of 13 yards for poi testing?

As for the original question, I don't know but please post it if you find out.

John

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I don't understand the phenomenon today. I go to any club, and I see blatant disregard for safety - never mind etiquitte - basic safety! Muzzles whipping around, barrels whipping around, etc.

It's similar to the phenomenon in my area where in the last few years, people drive with their bright lights on at night and DON'T turn them off - for anyone, ever...

It's as if the "asshole" meter just went from a "3.0" ten to fifteen years ago
    to a "7.5" on a scale of 1 to 10 for the basic Joe Bloe you see at a club, or on the road.

What the hell has gotten in to people today??

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't want to get in the way of ANY shotgun discharge. I made some blanks 40 years ago using cards wads and PB powder. They put a serious dent in 1/8" thick steel at around 5 yards or so. I'd not hesitate to say they could have been lethal at that distance. I'm sure 7 1/2s or 8s can kill or maim at reasonable distances.

14. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

There was a story a few years ago about a pheasant hunter in Montana who was charged by a grizzly bear. He killed it with one shot of his pheasant loads.

Doug DeVries

15. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

If you are interested check out the above site. It has some tests and information on shot penetration and reported effects of bird shot on the human body.

Hawk,

16. willing

willing Member

Instead of shooting at a piece of paper at 13 yrds to determine POI just think what that hole 2 inches in dia with 400+ shot would do to flesh if it happened to hit a person. I think it would smart!!
    Bill

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

jbm, that would have to be double 00 buck.

No way would you come close with 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

Hauxfan!

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Steve, sorry, but if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't be on this forum...

-Jollytrapshooter

19. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

There is a book available to you there called Basic Ballistics or similar. It gives velocities and yardage that pellets will penetrate the human skin. Size 8.5 pellet leaving the barrel at 1200 fps will penetrate the skin at over 100yards.

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gordie, You said:
    "ya bird shot is deadly to, as you well know bird shot can blind a guy at pert near any distance, and can probebly kill at the end of a barrel"

Cmon Gordie. "Probably" kill at the end of the barrel? Jesus man. At the end of a barrel damn near any 12 gauge shotgun shell will almost tear a man in half. Almost no difference between birdshot and bigger shot. Have you ever played around shooting things at very close range with a shotgun? It ain't pretty. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.