1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

USTA lost a great ambassador

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Member

Utah trapshooters lost a great ambassador when a few years ago the State Shoot management unfairly banned John Baker from the State Shoot for merely being an active squad leader.

Too bad. John hasn't shoot an ATA target since - what a loss to everyone. He will not say he was mistreated, he's too much of a gentleman. But everyone else who was there and saw it, like me, should say it every year at the State Shoot. This week's shoot is the less for not have John there.
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for everyone else who saw it to post.

waiting,

waiting...
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What does an "active squad leader" do?
  4. mallard2

mallard2 Member

Corrects inappropriate or disruptive behavior of a squad member if that behavior is distracting or disruptive to other members of the squad.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Member

I think he means Johann S Baker 8204190 He's called John in conversation. Nice guy, one of the better shots and nice guy always shooting at ATA shoots until this. Was a multi Utah State Team member. I had forgotten all about this incident and don't remember the year it happened. I think the other person banned from the State Shoot was Bruce Bachman.
  6. mallard2

mallard2 Member

Correct. Johann Baker. Nice guy is correct. Other party way out of line, as many know. Sad thing is, at the time, no one moved to correct the outcome. Maybe couldn't - by then damage was done.
  7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sounds like he must have been disrupting the shoot himself, to get banned. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle disputes.

No specifics here, so your guess is as good as mine.
  8. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Member

I Don't believe he was banned. Due to the circumstances they had to leave the shoot grounds that day. I talked with Johann at the Utah State shoot this weekend. His comments were " I can't shoot all day like I used to, it takes too much out of me." He is however a great ambassador to the sport, helps when he can and can still shoot like a big dog. From what I understand, he was protecting a squad member from a verbal attack, that I commend him for.
  9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

He could always file for an appeal and let the cards fall where they may ... Would like to hear both sides of that story, bet it woiuld be interesting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  10. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Member

WPT, nobody from this is banned from the ATA. Nobody is banned from the grounds. It was in effect for that shoot only. There are certain things you don't say to a lady, Mr. Baker was ensuring the squad-mate understood that. Kudos to him.
  11. 6t6stang

6t6stang TS Member

So let me get this straight...Mr. Baker stood up for a member of his squad against a verbal attack from another squad-mate and HE was told to leave the premises? Or were both men asked to leave?

Mike.
  12. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.