1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Monday morning I mailed out a Model 12 to a gun shop in Ohio. (Who was to handle a sales transaction). It was shipped Priority Mail, Delivery confirmation and insured. On Wednesday it was delivered to an address in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was mailed from Hot Springs, Arkansas which is 50 miles away. Today I made a lot of phone calls, starting with the originating post office. After receiving many different phone #'s from these over paid government employees, I finally was able to contact the consumer affairs division of the Postal Service. I was told that they discovered there was a gun inside the package and it was confiscated as I couldn't mail a firearm through the USPS. (I at this time quoted her the USPS policy regarding mailing firearms). I gave the person, who as near as I could figure out was a type of secretary a request that her supervisor should contact me. Several hours later I was contacted by an "agent". He said that when the package was mailed it needed to be told to the postal employee that the package contained a gun and the appropriate FFL # had to be displayed on the outside of the package. I expressed my concern that my property was confiscated 36 hours ago and nobody thought it important to contact me and that I had to investigate the whereabouts of the package myself. He then became somewhat apologetic and said they now had enough information and would forward the package tomorrow. I gave them the FFL in Ohio; where it was being shipped. I didn't push the issue; as he then might have given me more grief in shipping the gun to its original destination. Is this just a start of the Obama fools in their quest to control gun ownership? I have shipped many firearms using the USPS with no problems until now. Ed

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A better question would be how did they discover a firearm was enclosed, under what circumstances was your package opened, is there any damage (that would be one way to discover it was a gun, gets run over by a fork truck and theres a gaping hole in the box now)....

3. esoxhunter

Well if I screwed up the address then why is the package being released and allowed to travel to its intended destination? This so called "agent" informed me that the package had been xrayed. Don't ask me why or what for; that's just what he told me. I am more troubled about having my property confiscated and not being contacted. My return address is clearly on the shipping label and I do not have an unlisted phone number. So it would have been very simple to call information or to have the post office in Hot Springs look up my number; because it's in the book. I wish I knew how to file a formal complaint. However, that complaint and $3 will buy me a beer! I guess it's just best to stay away from any government agency when dealing with a firearm.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

It's tough being a 'right wing extremist', eh?

Sending a shotgun via USPS is allowed. I've had a USPS employee look it up in their revered manual. IMO, the 'agent' is correct that the contents must be declared. Every Postal employee I've dealt with since 9-11 asks "Is there anything hazardous, etc. etc. in the package." I believe the USPS may consider a firearm to be hazardous potentially.

IMO, we are at the mercy of the clerks anywhere be it UPS, USPS or FedEx. Follow all the rules to the letter and err on the side of too much info if necessary. If I were to ship a long gun via USPS, I'd only send it Registered. It is always locked up if it's not out for delivery and each tim eit changes hands it has to be signed for. If you mail it from NYC to LA and it sits overnight in a Post Office in Omaha, it's under lock and key.

I have a UPS store 1/4 mile from my house and the clerk's knee-jerk reaction to the question of shipping a gun is "We don't ship any kind of guns anywhere." When I asked him to check with his manager, he said she told him the same thing. Another UPS store tells me UPS will ship it but it has to be taken to the Shipping Warehouse 10 miles away. Another UPS store 5 miles away says "No problem" and asks me what kind of shotgun it is. I tell him a Remington 870 and he proceeds to tell me about the one he has at home under his bed.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

The mailing of Fire Arms via the USPS is permitted!!!!
    Ask any window clerk at your local Post office to see the Current issue of the "DMM" Domistic Mail Manual, Look in Chapter 25 of this book.
    It has all the details you need.
    And If some Smart A*@ Clark asked why you wish to see this book Tell him it's none of his %$#@ Business.
    I worked with such people for 21 years....They know EVERYTHING....They Think.
    The DMM has all the awnsers to your question.

6. esoxhunter

Buster: Been there and done that. But now these so called postal inspectors take it upon themselves to confiscate someone's property and then leave it up to the mailer to try and find what happened to it. You can't believe the "dead end" computer driven calls I made yesterday. You just keep going in a circle and if you ever do get to talk to someone; they haven't a clue. Yesterday I went through the Postal policy regarding the shipping of firearms with this associate that worked for the consumer affairs department of the USPS. Many of these so called supervisors think that what they believe is "gospel". Believe me this is going to get much worse with the Chicago clown and his cohorts in charge. As of right now, 8:00am CST that package is still sitting in Little Rock per the tracking information that is available to me.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The USPS just delivered a letter to my home which took nine calendar days to travel 110 miles. That's an average velocity of about 0.51 miles per hour. Hey, let's put the Federal government in charge of our health care too!!!

-Gary

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Try and locate your local post office in your telephone book......it is no longer there. They do not want their "customers" to call them.

One more thing...if you send any package "registered AND priority", this is the SLOWEST route the package will go. It does have to pass hand-to-hand and be signed all along the way. Pony Express will be quicker. You can expect possibly a 2 week coast to coast delivery.

This was told to me by my postmaster.

Doug

9. esoxhunter

goose2: You might want to take a big gulp of your Kool Aid, activate your spell check and assure that your dues to ACORN have been paid. I wouldn't give that Erkle looking communist the satisfaction of calling him MISTER.

10. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

UPS only, not USPS it's goober city at the USPS.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on the local USPS that you are dealing with. I have shipped guns at mine and the clerk asks what's in the package, I say gun, they ask is it a pistol, I say no, then they ask if want to insure it.

Maybe i just have been lucky?

12. esoxhunter

Ahab: I have no problems with the local post office at all. I have sent guns out numerous times without incident. However, in this case the package was xrayed in Little Rock, (for whatever reason), and was held by the postal inspector. Now I will admit possible neglect by not noting that there was a firearm in the package. However, to hold my property without contacting me is what really pi$$e$ me off. Ed

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Since the local UPS workers unionized,

The accuracy of thier deliveries has made the USPS look like 100 percent accurate, wich is sad!

At least I see the postman making an effort to knock on a door to make a delivery.

since they stupidized the only thing they are held to, is how fast they can go, THE TIME STANDARD! accuracy has nothing to with there job performance!

if your lucky the the ups jerk will toss it over the fence, that way they don't half to find the table right by the front door that has place deliveries here painted on it! Oh and that box tossed in the front yard happened to be scrap making supplies (this happened three times in a row) thrown into the dog run with a 9 month old Rotwieller, while the table was two steps farther up the driveway and no gate to go thru!

My two cents

But I with feelings of miss givings will go to the USPS station, and actually feel better about it!

Al Lingham

14. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I would think twice before I wrote on the outside of a package that there is a gun in this package -- for that is just inviting the packasge to go home with some remote postal employee to never be see or heard from again. the beav

15. esoxhunter

beav: You can't write on the outside of the package anything pertaining to the fact there is a gun in the package. i.e. If the address is Joe's Gun Shop, you might have to address it as Joe's Shop. What this "post office guru" is saying that one needs to write the FFL on the outside of the package. What these numbers would mean to the average postal employee is beyond me. The FFL in question here, (the person I'm shipping it to) told me he has never had to post an FFL # on any package he has shipped. As I said; all of these postal "rubes" have their own version of the process and have nothing to back it up. However, in my case they confiscate my property and neglect to communicate with me..

16. esoxhunter

goose2: It's because you are unique. You are a living example of what happens when men and sheep copulate. However, you probably won't get the gist of this as you seem to spell "might" wrong while sucking on your Kool Aid and fantasizing over having a rendezvous with your leader the " Erkle" and his ACORN associates. Sounds romantic. I have and will further my efforts in bringing this issue with the USPS to a close. I should add that my shipping of firearms with the USPS far out weighs your "several guns". Unquote. This is my first bad experience and it might be my last. I will see.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I shipped (attempted) a Perazzi trigger to a gentlemen in AR from SD.

It was to have gone UPS, but the USPS guy did a pickup at the shop here and accidentally took it. I discovered it a day later, which was too late.

Worried because although I insured it with UPS, it would not have been covered because they never scanned it.

Long story short: The Post Office delivered it, I got a signature from UPS???-probably becasue I filed a missing package report. And, the owner of the trigger was asked by the USPS guy why he was delivering for UPS.

Second instance, same thing happened with a FedEx trigger, my own, to Glenrock Blue in WY to get plated. Only this time I accidentally put it in the USPS outgoing pile. It was delivered by UPS, not USPS, nor FedEx. And, again the USP guy remarked to Phil at Glenrock Blue whey he was delivering for FedEx.

Only good thing is that I've never been billed for either shipment - lucky.

I NOW have customer FedEx and UPS colored labels to stop my stupidity.

Whiz