1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 6878mm, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Does anybody know WHY US post stopped surface mail O/Seas??

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Probably because airmail is faster and just as cost effective. No one wanted to wait the time it took to go by ship to have their mail delivered.

Eric

3. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Air mai is NOTthe same price, it is VERY expensive
    Air is faster, but with items that are not req`d immediatly, so what
    Just another money grab??

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like you have much choice. If you're really want the straight info then go to your P.O. and ask them.

Eric

5. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Does anybody know WHY USPS abandoned surface mail??

6. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

As I referenced in a different thread, the one thing you do NOT want to do is to rely upon the information that the Post Office will give you -- on any problem or concern you may encounter.

This organization is run by a legion of lying, cheating excuses for human beings, whose only purpose in life is to line their own pockets (and those of their cronies) with bonus dollars that are given as a "reward" for making performance numbers -- all at the expense of the craft employees who actually do the physical work associated with the processing and delivery of the mails.

It is the consummate "one hand washes the other" ; "you take care of me and I'll return the favor someday"............

As a 20-plus-year employee, I have seen it WAY too many times -- and at every level of management. And before anyone accuses me of "sour grapes", I even tried a stint at being an entry-level manager myself -- over 15 years ago. My conscience would not permit me to lower my ethical standards to "playing the game" -- as it was described to me over many-a-beer with MY boss.....who is now the postmaster in my office.

I returned to being a letter carrier, and heve NEVER regretted that decision.

As for your question about the elimination of ground transportation overseas, give me some time to investigate the issue. Although it is not directly related to my job there, I have some contacts that I would trust with the information they provide. Perhaps I can get you a responsible answer.

7. 6878mm

6878mm Member

To K80433sc

Thankyou, all I wanted is an answer

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Easy answer, "follow the money" !! that will be the bottom line.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I lifted this exchange from a forum of people whose business has used international surface mail heavily in the past. The information it contains is theirs:

"Starting next week the following 4 methods via the US Postal service are:

1) Global Express Guaranteed (1-3 days)<br>2) Express Mail International - formerly Global Express Mail (3-5 days)<br>3) Priority Mail Internationl - formerly Global Priority + Aimail Parcel Post + Economy Parcel Post (6-10 days)<br>4) First Class Mail Internationl - formerly Airmail Letter-Post + Economy Letter Post (time varies by destination)

So it looks like they collapsed 7 delivery systems down to 4."<br>......................

"The Postal Service says the new shape-based structure, similar in concept to what’s used by UPS and Federal Express, better reflects its costs. The rates benefit consumers and businesses who mail pieces that are most compatible with its automation systems and that can be shipped most efficiently.

That means small and thin are in. Letter-size pieces will be cheapest, followed by flats (large envelopes) and finally parcels. Large, bulky items will face higher rates because they’re harder to process and ship.

That’s just the start of hundreds of changes. A mail piece’s flexibility also will determine its rate. One benefit: The cost of each additional ounce will be less than it used to be, but undeliverable mail will face higher fees.

International-bound mail will be consolidated from eight products to four. Ocean-going cargo ships no longer will be used for individual consumers.

“It’s going to be hairy,” said Steve Crutcher at Mailwright Corp. in Kansas City. Like other local mail houses, Mailwright suspects its time spent validating addresses will soar from minutes to hours for each client’s mailing project. Clients will pay more if they don’t clean up their mailing lists."<br>........................

"You might check the USPS web site before being so hasty. The local postmaster here explained to me that many of the changes would mean an actual reduction in cost. If not a reduction the increase might be very slight in exchange for much, much faster delivery.

In addition, since anything over 4 pounds must now be air parcel it means automatic free insurance of around $80 on all the products you order.

The primary reason these changes have been made is eBay. I was told that internal newsletters detailed a huge loss for the USPS in the failed delivery of packages sent from the USA via surface. Since the USPS cannot dictate how scores of different countries handle surface mail and since it's agreements required the USPS to "take back" undeliverable parcels, the losses were mounting.

The solution? Eliminate surface altogether. Now the non-USA recipient countries are bound by the contracts extant for an entirely different class of mail... and much more favorable terms for the USPS.

The other good news is that US shippers can now use the free Priority boxes that the USPS provides. And I think we'll even be able to do the click-N-ship which means we'll have an online record of shipping data."

Morgan

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My daughter got on as a carrier, and they damn near killed her with overtime. They seem to be perennially understaffed, and as a PTF(part time flex) she had to work all the hours they told her.

Supervisor(female) is a back biting creature with a friend who gets the easy routes and no overtime if she don't want it.

But that's OK, My daughter stuck it out and has good wages and health care for her babies.

I don't know how upper management (private company) can pay all that overtime when it would be a lot easier to staff the P.O. correctly.

HM