1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS this is bizarre

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I ordered 6, 10 lb bags of copper plated shot from Gamaliels on 1/3/13. Gamaliels did everything right and within hours I recieved an email with a tracking # for Priority Mail Insured signature needed for confirmation of delivery. Upon checking USPS tracking web site it said my shot would be delivered on 1/7/13. I tracked it every day and it was at the main Post office in Nampa Idaho ( 4 miles from my home) at 2:00 am on 1/7/13 and would be delivered that day. It did not come but we had a winter storm with about 6-7 inches of snow so I figured the postman did not want to get out of his vehicle and trod through the snow up to my door. no prob because I did not have my walk cleaned and that was fine. Today 1/8/13 he comes and leaves this on my door step ( see photo) he was heading back to his vehicle without a signature and my wife ( she is a bulldog) calls him back and says now way buddy, you aint going anywhere, The package was torn up so bad that it is amazing the bags of shot did not fall out. This is our post office at it's finest. Fortunately all 6 bags were in tact but obviously he just wanted to dump it and run and let me and the people at the PO deal with the claim. He had to know it was damaged because nothing else but shot would have survived this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks like it was packed so shotbags could flop around in the box. Had they filled all the voids, it probably wouldn't have happened. I agree it was uncool to sneak off with it looking like this, however.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I too am getting screwed bigtime by the postal service as I type this post. I like doing business with Gamaliel but they cut very short on the packing of this order. With a known 60lbs to go in the box and that fact it was traveling so far away they should have used extra cardboard inside all corners, top and bottom along with a lot more tape on the box. I would personally lay about 70% on the blame of Gamaliels on this one. bg

4. cubancigar2000

I think you are right on poor packaging. I also believe it is absurd to try to deliver this. Where is the pride in your work here!

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I had a hearing aid come FedEx. Stated ahead of time that someone must sign for the package.
    Since it cost was $5000.00 I thought I was safe....NOT
    Now I had it delivered to my parents farm address because I was at work. After checking the tracking number, the day it was to be delivered I went to my parents to pick it up. It was late when I got there and if the lights of the truck hasn't shined on it I would have gotten it. They threw this package in the driveway. The wind took it half way across the yard

6. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Member Supporting Vendor

I understand that everyone wants to blame the shipper because it appears that the box wasn't packaged properly. But no one knows what was stuffed in the box to keep the products from moving around. The box has a large hole ripped in it. It is the carriers responsibility to ensure that you get your package unharmed. This case USPS and their crew could have took some tape and made a simple repair to the box, unfortunately no one takes pride in what they do. Seeing this is not uncommon with USPS, when I had my own rig I would never accept any pallet or package that was damaged it's my reputation and pride at stake....Joe

7. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Well Lou

At least I now know you are loading big copper shells, I will bring the bigguns when I come cats out of the bag. Glad it was all safe. Hope to see ya soon.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If that is a USPS box.

Those packages are advertised as ship anywhere, anything, up to certain weight restrictions, at a set price. This is to compete with UPS and FedEx.

If USPS is promoting this box as suitable for 150 lbs, that is USPS failure.

I am one of those who remember wooden boxes used for shipping this type of thing instead of cardboard.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

60# box for $13?

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

A very good friend is the Head Cheese at our local Bulk Mail Center. He said anything I box and ship should pass the three foot drop test. Jake

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I just bought a new Weber carburetor for my Toyota truck. It was shipped USPS and when it arrived there was a hole in the box. I opened it and there was an internal box with the same hole. One of the gear wheels that drives the secondaries is crushed and another part as well. I've always had good luck with USPS but it looks like that came to an end.

12. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

6s Lou, really. You know Kentucky 9s are best..HaHa

Roger

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a box like that delivered. Mine weighed 26 lbs when shipped. When I got it an entire box of 500 bullets was missing and there were only about 200 left from the other box of 500 that were in the order. Without admitting who exactly was to blame, I am told that even though the Post Office spends millions advertising the flat rate "if it fits, it ships" service, the actual workers are really upset if a box weighs more than about 10 lbs.

14. cubancigar2000

I emailed Gamaliels to let them know that they may need to re think how they pack and ship these. I attached a photo and immediately got a response so they are looking into it. Good people

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You guys are scaring me...my buttstock is enroute to have work done as we speak..it would be a very expensive box of toothpicks

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I recently had a similar experience.

I received a Coleman camp stove in a box that had one entire end torn away and the other half torn off On top of the that the box looked like someone stepped on it and the packaging material was completely gone. By some stretch of luck the stove was not damaged despite the obvious abuse to the package.

Jim C

17. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First and Foremost these employess ( postal workers ) are pathetic,

I live in League City Texas,

Your package looks great compared to what I get at times, When you call the post office here you have no way understanding what the 3rd grader on the other end of the phone line is saying.

Then you get a "supervisor" who clams she is the postmaster, and she claims the problem is affirmative hire,, I told her you got to be bullshitting me you are using that lame excuse.

This is the problem with what is happening to our once great United States Of America,, Its run in the ground by these ( not even sure what word to use ) and they cherish barry,

I do not work for any delivery service, But if I did and that was the package I was dropping off I would be ashamed of all my coworkers and the system that lets it keep up..

Thats my rant,

Doug

18. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I sent my rifle scope to Bushnel at the end of November. I paid for delivery conformation. When I checked the number on line it showed that it went out for delivery but it never showed that it was delivered. As of now when I called Bushnel they show no record of having it. I told the lady who I spoke with that I would give them a couple of weeks to get caught up since the holidays and I would call back to see if it shows up in their system. If not start the insurance claim. I also had 2 international letters sent to me on the same day they showed up in Chicago a day apart. One made it to me 2 days latter and one still shows it in Chicago now for 2 months.
    Union labor at its finest.

19. cubancigar2000

I agree Doug, even though I blame Gamaliels packaging, I cant believe a postman would sit this on my porch and try to get away before we saw it. It was supposed to be signed for too. My wife ripped him and told him he had no work ethics

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It may be that the postmaster told the carrier to get that parcel out of the office. When I was working as a mail carrier we used to get some really bad looking packages for delivery. You really only have limited options when something like that shows up. I would usually try to contact the customer when I had something damaged show up for delivery. this doesn't really help the situation much, but it puts the focus back on management where it should be. But then you get a p.o.ed customer in the office, Even more irritated that he has to take time to come in and fill out forms and such for his damaged parcel. managers sometimes try to avoid situations like that by telling the carrier to just take it out and leave it. Sad but true. I'm glad that I'm done with all of that b.s. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.