1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS Slowest of them all

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I shipped a Pw loader out from VA to California on the 10th of August, it has still not arrived on the 23rd. The only way to have tracking was an additional $80 dollars for Express. So I sent regular ground and have delivery confirmation only. It was insured and I cant file a claim for at least 21 day's. NO MORE USPS for me on big stuff. Just wanted to let you guy's know. Jeff

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Ordering from the US from here in western Canada, I'll only use USPS and here's why. When I've ordered from some US companies that use only UPS to ship internationally and won't use USPS, I end up paying brokerage fees to UPS that can add up to 1/2 the value of the item if it's under $100, plus if it's gun related, I get nothing but grief from UPS. I've received good service using the mail both ways and will continue to do so...UPS can go fish!!

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cant file a claim for 60 days

You may be able to give it to them but they dont have to start processing it because they dont consider it lost for 60 days

They then have 6 months to administratively adjudicate your claim- at the end of that time you can file a suit

8 months total

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. gnprts

gnprts Member

Hey bigbore613 I also shipped a shotgun barrel via USPS on the 10th of August to Oklahoma and it has not been delivered according to the Delivery Confirmation. Maybe our items are lost in the same place. I have had some items that took weeks to arrive to the buyer but to date none were ever lost.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

When you ship a 50 pound package ,like I stated it was an extra $80 for tracking. Too much. and 14 days across country? Im sorry thats pss poor. Jeff

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, you coulda taken it down to the Greyhound depot and it woulda gotten there sooner. Prolly cheaper too? Then again, it's been a long time since I shipped anything by Greyhound. Hap

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jeff.... I agree that the best way to ship is via USPS, either registered, or via Express mail. Yes, it does cost more, however, you have the peace of mind knowing it is going to arrive promptly and safely. The higher cost is something we can't avoid if we want the best, and the quickest, service. Shipping anything these days is pretty expensive due to many factors. When I ship a gun, or any shooting related item that is valuable, I just figure the amount of shipping into the deal and either pass it on to the buyer, or, if neccessary, offer to split the cost. It's just a part of doing business you have to accept and make the best out of. We can either ship it this way and not worry, or ship it as you did and have the resulting problems. For me, the answer is to spend the extra and forget about it....Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. 1oz

1oz Member

Get paperwork to file claim . I to tried to ship from Va to west coast item got lost .Got letter stating found box but nothing inside . Make sure you have proof of purchase and can show because they will require it if item is lost. Plan on a few months for to get money back if lost and a pain in the rearend.

9. oz

oz Active Member

you think registered is the way to go????? i used it and the bum postman just left a card "sorry we missed you, go to the post office 5 miles away tomorrow."
    I was home the entire day. they won't get off thier fat asses. registered! hah. oz

10. primed

primed Well-Known Member

bigbore613

I believe the registered charge is 7.95 and you get all the tracking you can handle. Also the insurance is cheaper with registered because of all the security. Often the insurance savings will more than offset the registered fee if your item has much value.

Bob

11. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Oz

I would call the postmaster and ask him what the issue was.

Bob

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Like I said , it was another $80 dollars for express which has tracking. No more big stuff through them. I have already spent over an hour getting to and talking to the postmaster. Jeff

13. atashooter

atashooter Member

Duh, Nope, nope, nope...

[​IMG]

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Like I said I did NOT use the Express serice. I was selling and shipping the loader for a friend. I would never have used them if I had known then what I know now, that it may take 3 weeks insted of the 10 to 12 days aproximated. The other 3 loaders were recieved on time. It did take 6 days to get one to ILL from VA. Please read the original post. Jeff

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Jeff

My point was that you do not need to ship express to get tracking. Registered will do the trick and may actually save you some money because the insurance is so much cheaper.

Bob

16. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I shipped my BT-99 from Va. to Art's Guns in Missouri by Priority Mail, insured mail, it arrived in two days. Haven't had a problem with USPS yet...Bill

17. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In the last 4 years I have shipped guns via the USPS. I used Priority Mail, insured with delivery conformation. I can only estimate the guns and/or parts that I have shipped for sale and repair. I would say in the last 4 years it has to be in the area of 50+. The longest time that it took to complete any shipment was 5 days; and I believe that was only once. Never a problem. I feel the USPS is the only government agency that does their job in a somewhat efficient manner. Ed

18. skeetshooter

skeetshooter TS Member

I just shipped a PW 800B loader with dozens of extra items to Florida from Kentucky via USPS. Priority mail with delivery confirmation, insured, for $39.85. Delivered in three (3) days.
    Have never encountered a problem through USPS and I sell and ship using thier service weekly.
    As others have stated, registered mail is the "ONLY" way to ship shotguns, rifles and/or other valuables. Full protection and full coverage for damage or loss if declaired to full value when shipped.
    Good shooting, Dennis

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Well , the happy ending! The loader got there today and all is good. I have had good luck with USPS in the past with over 300 items shipped and If they had told me 2 weeks, all would have been good. My communication has been with the buyer almost every day and it got there with the plastic primer tray broke. That is no great deal and I have extras. It was extremely well packed in the original carton. If you have to send USPS ,then tell the reciever that it gets there when it gets there not when expected. Jeff

20. pahunter1

pahunter1 TS Member

OZ; FAT ASS I am a retired Letter Carrier, 34 1/2 years. Walk a mile in my shoes before you FAT ASS a Postal Emploee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.