1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS shipping experience, part good, part bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I legally shipped a shotgun to a FFL holder by USPS Priority. I prepaid and addressed the package online and then took it to the Post Office so that I could get a receipt. The clerk asked what was in the package probably because I had insured it for $4K. I told her it was a shotgun going to a properly registered FFL.

Her response was: "We can not ship firearms".

My response was: "Yes you can!!"

Her response without checking with anyone was "OK"

It was shipped and arrived on time without further question. Ironically (?) when received, my gun hard case had all four corners badly busted. Hard gun case was packaged inside a heavy cardboard box, fully lined with 1/2 " foam and bubble wrapped. Gun was equally well protected and survived without damage. I filed a damage claim online. THREE DAYS LATER A CHECK FOR THE FULL AMOUNT OF CLAIM ARRIVED IN MY MAIL BOX. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Would'nt it be nice if a claim filed with UPS or Fed-X was handled as quickly and paid in full?

The good: At least the gun survived. Fastest claim handling ever.

The bad: You be the judge.

Marc

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Malicious damage by some USPS malcontent would be a good starting point.

Curt

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Did they pay the full $4,000?

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Because of UPS I bought a aluminum gun case. A GOOD ALUMINUM GUN CASE. Not one of those thin cheat junk cases. Cabel's now have them. Welded corners and the reviews on this case were great. It even protected the gun from being run over by a truck. Anyway I use this case just for shipping and it has paid for its self 10 times over. When buying a gun I will send the case. Its worth the money to do so.

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Claim was filed for damages to case only. I'm glad gun survived as I shoot it better than any other currently on hand. Hopefully now that it's on the way back home it will be the only gun I shoot. At least that's the plan this week (LOL). Marc

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I thought Priority shipments ustilized air transport.

At least that's what the counter monkey told me when whe forced me to send a rifle by regular ground Insured.

Took an extra 3 days, but saved 20 bucks.

The claim was that guns were "dangerous" so they didn't want them on the plane. first time i ever had that happen.

HM

7. romie

romie Active Member

I sent a double rifle UPS and had a pix prior to shipping and the stock was broken in route at the wrist.I insured it for $4000. They denied any claim and said it must have been broken prior to shipping,I am going to hire a laywer to try and get some of my money back..DO NOT SHIP UPS!

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

romie,

Make sure you keep all of the original packaging along with the labels to prove how it was packaged. I had a go around with UPS here a while back where they didn't want to pay a claim (broken stock as well). I was a daily thorn in their side until they made good.

I hope your pockets are deep when dealing with UPS and getting an attorney involved.

ss

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

On top of everything said make sure you take pictures of it being packed, box before its shipped etc. UPS always fights claims in my experiance, USPS usually pays in a good time frame unless they think its a packing issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.