1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS shipping and damage claims - any experience?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with shipping via USPS. i recently received a gun shipped from a individual to my FFL that was damaged during shippment. I filed a claim on line because the stock had some minor damage. I sent pictures and a copy of the estimate to repair. Well now I got a note from the USPS because they said they are denying the claim because it was a non-mailable item. Not sure what that means because it was shipped in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

About 20 years ago, I sent a mod 12 to Stu Wright for repairs. He sent it back by UPS. When I opened the box, a small chip from the stock fell out. It was very plain to see that the box had been dropped from high up or thrown as there was an indentation in the cardboard. A guy came from UPS and examined it and later, they sent a check to cover the cost of a new stock. They also lost (or it was stolen) a receiver for a Perazi Grand Italia. I didn't do well on that one. Larry Evans

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have had good Luck with the only claim I ever had with USPS.

I did ship a BT-99 to Texas last week that got there with some stock damage and it was shipped Via FedEx. It is minor damage, maybe $100.00 to $200.00 to repair I will let you know if they pay the claim or if I have to. I had the gun insured through FedEx for $1500.00

Jim R

4. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

from recent experience i can tell you that you have to have the shipper file the claim, since he is the one that paid for the insurance.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Was it a handgun?

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I used to fight with the sorry sob's all the time.. Finally I figured the time lost making trips to the post office to fill out the exact same form I filled out 2 weeks ago, all the phone calls made to non caring, half asleep, usps operators at the non help help desk just wasnt worth the trouble.. Honestly, I fought one damage claim for 9 or 10 months.. they have more excuses to not pay a claim than carter has little liver pills.. One time they told me they wouldnt pay a claim because the package was shipped with a online postage label and it wasnt presented to a usps employee at the post office desk.. Good luck to you.. I have not had good luck with them.

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

I worked for UPS about 25 years ago as a "loader", what did I learn from that experience? Use UPS ONLY when there is no choice, and make damn sure you insure it!! mark crist

8. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

File an appeal.

9. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

i would take the advice of Postmastertim LOL, sounds like he may know what he is talking about

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have shipped and received guns, antique fishing lures and very precious guitars to and from all over the world. FedEx can't even find my house and has left $5000 guitars at a neighboring house and once I had to drive for an hour to pick one up! UPS has been OK, but one time destroyed an irreplacable guitar, but did make financial restitution,and at least they can find my house!! I have never had a problem with the United States Postal Service! Listen to PostmasterTim...knows what he is talking about and is also a decent honest man!!! Martinpicker

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I had a factory target grip that had a piece broken off. This was on a revolver. They paid the estimate. Talk it over with the postmaster of the PO from which you get your mail. DO NOT take the gun in. Take in good pics & the stock itself. You will need 2 estimates from 2 local repair shops.

12. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Thanks for the kind words Jack.

All insurance claims are adjudicated in St Louis, your local PO can only help you initate the claim.

Tim

13. romie

romie Active Member

I had the same problem about two years ago.I had insured a gun for $4000 to have the fireing pins repaired and they cracked the stock.I had before and after pix of what the stock looked like.I had to hire a lawyer to file a suit against the UPS. We setteled for $2500 the lawyer got half.Of course I only had enough to have it repaired only.
    Do not give up that is what they want you to do.

by the way it took two or so years to settle

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I sent my Mono to Ljutic about 2 years ago via USPS it was damaged to the tune of $1500. It was insured for $4000. After many letters and notifications, like you received and ten (10) months later, they paid up. Never quit, and copy the postmaster general.

15. blooch

blooch Member

I recently went through the process of filing a claim with USPS and am about to go through it with UPS.

USPS, after 8 months, and countless emails and phone calls, over the loss of a barrel they were shipping for me, I am out a barrel. A really expensive barrel. I got pieces of the box back with a tiny ink stamp on them which said " delivered, no contents". Odd, the receiver of the package swears he never saw any package from me but the post office marked a half dozen pieces of the container and managed to get them back to me.

UPS recently left a package I shipped on the customers door step and he swears he did not get it. We started the trace process Monday and already the guy is looking for a refund or replacement from me. I guess I am about to find out how good their insurance on loss is.

UPS also delivered a used reloading machine, a PW with 3 dies sets, to me some years back and the box was very severely damaged, as were the contents. It was all insured so they had me keep the box and sent a claims guy out to check it out. He recommended they pay 60% on the claim and that was the last I ever heard about it. I could never get further contact with the seller and UPS said they were done with the claim. I figure the seller got that money and stonewalled me.

16. 682b

682b Member

My experience was as good as it could have been., but not a good one. I purrchad a lightly used 20 ga standard weight skeet gun for 300.00 from a pawn shop in Mississippi. They shipped it by UPS and insured it . The gun went in the front door of the hub never to be seen again. They paid the pawn shop who paid me and it cost significantly more to purchase one. Overall I lost a great deal, but it could have been worse. That's my story .Jim

17. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I purchased a barrel over the internet and had it shipped UPS. It arrived with a bent rib and a cap missing on the end of mailing tube. I finally got approval for the loss but had to wait for the shipper to send the check since he was the insurer. UPS demanded that I send them the barrel--I did not since they would have the barrel and the shipper would have the money leaving me with ZERO. I finallly received the money but what a pain.

In the future I will send the seller a pre-paid shipping label with me as the shipper.

Doc

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have filed a couple claims through Fedex, and one through USPS. All were handled quickly and in my favor, in amounts from $100 to $400. The biggest thing is DOCUMENTATION. You need to demonstrate the actual value of the item you shipped, replacement value (or a written estimate for repairs), photos showing damage are a must, and photos of the item pre-damage can do nothing but help your case (to show you weren't trying to ship an item that was broken before shipment and scamming insurance $). I did have a bit of trouble on one claim through fedex, but they thought a MEC 9000 was a car jack, but once i submitted copies of my f/s ad (from here) showing what I sold (and insured) it for, copies of MECs page showing the MSRP, and pictures of the damaged packaging and reloader, they wrote me a check for the full amt insured including shipping costs, and I got to keep the press. Just submitting their form, and nothing else, will not cut it. You can be lazy, and send in their cookie cutter form, and hope for the best, or you can do some extra legwork as I've outlined above, and greatly increase your chances of success. Also, you need to understand their point of view, probably 90% of damage caused in transit is the shippers fault for packing it improperly, but there are those instances where the carrier OBVIOUSLY messed up, one package I shipped looked like it got ran over by a forklift, and another had obviously been dropped from a great height. I also had an instance w/ Fedex where I shipped Whiz White a P/W Hydraulic. When it arrived, the cap was busted, and oil was all over the place, and to top it off, the packaging (box and styro peanuts) I'd sent it in was GONE, they threw it into one of their boxes (which was grossly oversized), stuffed a couple pieces of packing paper inside, taped it up, and stuck my label on it.

You also almost always need to have the SHIPPER file the claim, if the RECEIVER files the claim, they will deny, and it further complicates the process. You can have the receiver file a claim, but the shipper must send the carrier a release to allow them to do it (I did this once with Fedex b/c the recipient wanted to handle it).

Also, if you've shipped items illegally (shipped a firearm to someone other than an FFL, shipped a firearm as "machine parts", shipped a firearm without declaring it to the carrier employee, shipped a handgun any way other than UPS or Fedex overnight, or shipped any other hazardous or restricted items that you shouldn't have), your completely SOL, and you better be hoping and praying that you aren't arrested for violating Federal law.

19. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I don't know why people want to dick around with not properly claiming the contents of the package. I have seen, on a couple of gun forums, people trying to circumvent declaring the actual contents of the package to the carrier by stating on the form or to the person behind the counter, that the package contains "machine parts".

Fedex, UPS, DHL, USPS, and any other shipper will look for a way to NOT pay a claim if they can find a way to do so. Being all cute with the description of the contents is a sure way to get denied a claim should your "machine parts" go missing or be damaged. Like skeetman says, you will be SOL big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

filing damage goods claim with usps

has anyone shipped a hand gun for repairs usps

if my item shipped thru usps is damaged and ihave insurance how is a claim filed

ups or usps damage claims

usps claims damaged shipping

usps insurance filed by shipper or reciever

usps shipping damage

usps shipping damage claim