1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS Priority Mail ????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- I have had Priority Mail take up to 4 days for delivery to a Town less than 40 miles from my home. Priority is a relative term. Give the Post Office a week. Sometimes mail sacks going to Boston end up in Salt Lake.

Pat Ireland

2. oz

oz Active Member

no problem if the mail deliverer cam shove it in the PO box whilst sitting on his/her ass. if it entails getting out of the car and walking to your door, you are s*** out of luck. you have to driv e to hte PO the nest day. oz

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Contacting the post office will do nothing-- there is no way to track it with only delivery confirmation

Priority mail is "3-5 days to most places"

The post office does a great job with letters if you think about it-- they hardly charge anything and it manages to show up nearly 100 percent of the time

Gene

4. g7777777

There is no confirmation number with priority mail

There is a delivery confirmation number

Been there and done that

lose a postal money order- mail isnt considered lost for 60 days-- that is if it is insured- dont know if it is ever considered lost in your circumstance

After the 60 day period you may file a claim to have your money order replaced

The postal service has 6 months to investigate

I am not knocking the post office for letters- they do the next to impossible delivering the millions upon millions of letters they do each day--

But you have to understand the rules and not make assumptions about what they gurantee and what they dont

Gene

I dont know what you do if they take longer than 6 months

Gene

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I've had priority mail take 11 days.... Yep, ELEVEN!!

Called the P.O. and they said if nothing shows up after 4 weeks from the time of shipment, then you can file a claim.

They also said that Priority is not guaranteed 2-3 days and if you want guaranteed, you need to use Express I think.

Although I've had a lot of luck with the USPS, their tracking system is archaic.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree that the tracking system for the postal system sucks. That being said I have used priority mail exclusively for the shipment of guns, parts and payments. In approximately 40 transactions in the past year or so, I have had one piece of priority mail that exceeded 3 (business) days in delivery. This was to a residence about 60 miles south of Ely, Nevada. This is surely not an urban area and if I remember right it took 5 days to be delivered. Also, I had a check that was supposed to be delivered to me by UPS overnight service. It was shipped on a Wednesday morning and I received it on a Friday afternoon! Hardly a next day delivery. Ed

7. g7777777

You cant ship a firearm legally without declaring it -- and if you declare it - they wont let you ship priority mail- it has to go express

I wouldnt take the risk-- you could be the one they make an example of - prosecute- jail time- it would change your entire life

Gene

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gene: I just stated that I discussed this with 2 postal service supervisors. If you opt to declare a firearm, they have the right to inspect the package. And after the discussion with them it was their decision to not open the closed package and it was shipped "Priority Mail". I have shipped and/or received many, many guns through priority mail. There can be an argument made that it might be best to ship "Registered Mail" for security purposes. Ed

9. g7777777

Ed- you have a point-- if you declare a firearm-- and then they let you ship it priority mail- you are not in violation of the law

However I will tell you that that most post offices will tell you when you declare it--- that you have to go express mail because apparently they have some internal guideance to that effect.

If you dont declare it- you are in violation of the law

Gene

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

USPS website states...."Now you can have delivery of documents and packages made in an average of 2 to 3 days."

key word being...average.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I bought a rifle scope in NC and my MO was finally found in the NC PO, behind the sorting desk! Two weeks later! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.