1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

usps no saturday delivery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I see that my former employer finally is going through with the threatened 5 day week. Except for p.o. boxes, except for parcels. The last few years all I carried were parcels and a little junk mail. Not much of a change as far as I can see. Bill

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

God help the mail carrier's when there's a holiday on Friday or Monday and they have to deliver 3 days worth of mail in one day. It already comes pretty late here when there's a Saturday or Monday holiday and they have to deliver 2 days worth of mail at once. I guess my mail will probably show up around 7pm the day after a holiday.

One thing I think they fail to realize is that if they stop delivering letters on Saturday, it doesn't just magically disappear, it will need to be delivered eventually, and only a finite amount of mail can fit in those little trucks. They're also going to be covering almost exactly the same ground delivering packages alone.

They're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The real solution is to quit giving sweetheart rates to junk mail senders and charge them the same amount as everyone else. It will lower the burden on the system, and either raise revenue (through those who pay the increased fee) or lower expenses as junk mail volume drops. On a typical day, I receive 3-4 pieces of junk mail that goes DIRECTLY in the trash, one magazine or catalog, and MAYBE one piece of actual mail that I wanted to receive. As far as mailing letters, a book of stamps lasts me at least 6 months, and I could eliminate 75% of those if I paid online where expediency wasn't an issue (using my online billpay adds a couple days of time).

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

We could do very well with only twice a week delivery at our home. At least 95% of the stuff we get goes directly in the trash can--unopened !

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Will not save a dime. Devil is in the details. Most all hands will still be on deck.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I also guess they're going to be lowering the cost of a stamp 17%, since we'll only be getting 5/6 of the service we paid for??

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The real crime is the abuse of the free postage for political mailings. On election years the amount of mail from some politicians was nothing short of ridiculous. You would see the same faces so much that there was no way you could vote for them. Bill

7. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Just a thought, but to pay-off the National debt quicker, why not eliminate a few of the 11 "Paid" Holidays the Goverment workers get. Sure they can have the day off but why am I paying them? Then to make matters worse, when the Holiday falls on a weekend, they get an extra Holiday on Monday? Give me a break. The costs exceed $500 million for each one.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The founding fathers said we would have a postal service, they didn't say it couldn't be contracted out!

Contract out the whole mess. Except the minimum needed in Washington to meet the intent of the law, everything gets contracted out.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The postal service gets no government money. They have been forced to pay pension liabilities 75 years ahead of time, and that's the main reason they are losing money.

Saturday delivery creates a host of problems with work force scheduling, because many carriers then have to take their day off in the middle of the week. My daughter is a carrier and I never know when she will be off.

This way they can have the same group of carriers working a normal 5 day week.

If there's too much mail for 5 days they can rearrange the routes and add carriers. I doubt if that's necessary.

And from what I hear they can cut the number of supervisors in half and still get the job done.

HM

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeets got the right idea! To hell with the junk mail! Full price would get rid of a lot of it, just a PITA.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, we use to get our mail by 2pm daily. Then our mailman retired and the new gal said they were not hiring anyone to replace him.

Each day we get our mail usually between 5pm and 6.45Pm. I asked the supervisor why was our mail being delievered so late? He said after the employees are done with their routes they ask for someone to work over time, and that is when our mail is delivered.
    Steve Balistreri

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

One inspector general’s report said USPS operates 260 major processing and distribution centers, many of which were built before advances in mail processing and before incentives for customers to pre-sort mail. The report said that starting with a “blank slate” and projecting mail volumes for 2020, the Postal Service would have more than enough capacity with just 135 such centers.

That would cost about $2 billion less per year than the current structure, it said. Such a cutback would cost jobs but the report noted that with about half of the postal workforce eligible to retire over the next 10 years, a restructuring could be accomplished with “minimal relocations and layoffs.”

A second report said that even larger savings — $4.5 billion a year -- could be achieved by switching from door-to-door delivery, the most costly, to curbside delivery, which allows the carrier to remain in the vehicle and deliver mail from the street to a mailbox or group of mailboxes.

Further, switching to centralized delivery, where carriers deliver mail to a large number of customers at one delivery point, could save an additional $5.1 billion a year. USPS should “aggressively” convert to curbside delivery where possible and should use centralized delivery for new delivery points, the report said. But customer resistance and policy restrictions could hamper those efforts, it added.

Similarly, a third report focused on the difficulty in closing retail facilities such as post offices. Laws impose “onerous notice, consultation, and appeal procedures,” and plans must undergo “time-consuming and expensive review” by regulators, the report said. There is also a “common impulse of members of Congress to oppose changes in public facilities within their constituencies,” and the Postal Service itself doesn’t support consolidation efforts strongly enough for them to succeed, it said.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I live 25 miles out on the south rural mailroute from Peerless, Montana. Three days a week mail delivery as it is, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday (On Monday, Wedensday & Friday the mail carrier runs the north rural route). I wonder if they stop Saturday delivery we'll be down to just twice a week?

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd even notice the loss of Saturday mail. Heck, my neighbors deliver most of my mail as it is now. I get it the day after our letter carrier delivers it to them.

Kip

15. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Kip

We must have the same Mailman. I get someone else's twice a week and its differant people also.

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think that August 5, 2013 is the day it starts. No Saturday delivery, at according to the WSJ today.

17. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I think it is a good move. I feel most mail delivery people would like Saturdays off. They have a life too and may want to shoot trap on Saturday.

How often did the Pony Express run? My bills are due monthly so once a week would also do for me. Ray

18. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Not sure if it would even be missed if done away with. Lots of different options to pay bills and ship packages. Junk mail and political advertisement is no reason to sustain billions in loses the taxpayer will eventually pay. Is this another of the public sector unions that have been over promised?

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Add my vote to either getting rid of junk mail or making the sender of it pay full price. Wouldn't hurt to close the small post offices that don't do enought business to pay the lease and utilities.

20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

All for making junk mail pay full price. Could cut out Tuesday and Thursday and I wouldn't miss delivery on those days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

get rid of centralized usps mailboxes