1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS Loss/Stolen Benelli Super Black Eagle 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Just wanted to post incase anyone is looking at buying a used Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, 26" in camo. I sold mine to a member on the board but in transit it was either lost or stolen by the USPS. I have filed a claim with them and contacted local police department to file a report etc. Even with two tracking numbers there are unable to locate it. The serial number is: U-284083

catchingchrome_2009_201119.jpg

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

One thing that the USPS does do tenaciously is pursue items reported missing in their possession. It may take a while, but they should be able to find something.

Hope you insured it. I ship almost all of my high dollar stuff FedEx because their insurance is so cheap.

I got a guy put in prison in PA for scamming me and several others on a commemorative gun deal through the US Post Office. They went after him and even offered to fly me out as a witness for the trial. I believe he plead guilty so I didn't need to go.

Good Luck!

Whiz

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

CC, those Postal Inspectors will look in every nook and cranny to find your gun! Probably as much to protect the PO employees as well as get your gun back to you! Just takes some time.

Hap

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

" those Postal Inspectors will look in every nook and cranny to find your gun! Probably as much to protect the PO employees as well as get your gun back to you"

Protect the PO employees from what?

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Protect the PO employees from what?

Each other?

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

They will find it. Just keep the pressure on at your end.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to a friend of mine on a high dollar sxs rifle. When he pursued legal action it turned up in a closet at the post office he sent it from?

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

The goyt will spend a million bucks tofind a missing dime !

9. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah, I really don't care if they find it, more care about getting my insured value back for it. It was part of a trade for a combo gun so I won't miss it. I will miss the $$$ I had to send the guy instead more.

10. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I guess I should hold off selling it for a little.

11. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

If you had 2 tracking numbers the USPS has to know the last place it was at. All packages get scanned. When takin in, in PO and then Delv. By the way a big majority of all UPS and some fed ex packages are now delivered by the USPS. It cuts down on their top end. They will find it, good luck.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you talked to the dealer? Are you sure he didnt receive it?

My experience with the Postal Service is a lot different than the posters above-they dont even consider anyting lost for 6 months

Was it properly sent as a firearm? There are several specific steps you have to go through to send a firearm legally through the postal service

2 Tracking numbers????????? The Postal Service does not have tracking numbers unless it was a registered package

Something isnt quite right???????????

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gene must go to a different post office than I do.

I get tracking numbers and delivery confirmation on Priority mail, in addition to registered.

HM

14. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

The Post Office in Decatur Illinois will not ship a package containing a firearm, or any part of a firearm, to anyone for any reason, if they know the package contents.

I went in to buy shipping cylinders to ship a barrel. The clerk behind the desk asked me what I was going to put in the cylinder. When I anwsered "a shotgun barrel" she became irate and proceeded to give me the lecture stated above.

I proceeded to ask "what if my broken gun needs serviced by the manufacturer out of state?" I was told "to use other carriers".

Good Luck.

15. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Gene,maybe in Iowa that is how it is but here on the east coast we can track packages. The package actually has three modes of tracking, the delivery confirmation number, the insurance tracking info and I had signature confirmation. The package was shipped as per federal and state guidelines as posted on the USPS website. THe only thing that wasn't right was the post office screwed up somewhere along the way. One of the tracking numbers said it never left Jersey City, NJ and the other one the insuracne said it was in Philadelphia as of the 14th. My local USPS even looked into it by calling the sort facilities and came up with no answers. And yes the dealer never got it.

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Coveybuster,

Here is what the Post Office regulations say. You may want to inform the Postmaster of the Decatur office you mention that they are in violation of the Postal regs. If they do not wish to comply with the regulations, take it up a notch to their district supervisor.

To go directly to their webpage Click Here

432 Mailability
    432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
    Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
    Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508

PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.
    432.3 Packaging and Marking

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

17. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Domestically tracking is only available currently with Express Mail. That is supposed to change early next year.

Tracking vs. Confirmation of Delivery

Some USPS® products provide Tracking, while others provide only Confirmation of Delivery. It is important to understand which products include these services and the difference between “tracking” and “confirming”.

Premium products, such as Express Mail®, include Tracking. This means that a user checking the Track & Confirm site for a mailpiece sent via Express Mail should see, at a minimum, when the mailpiece was accepted and when it was delivered or a delivery attempt occurred. Additionally, the user will likely see several additional scans as the item moves through the mail stream, such as “processed’ or “arrival at unit”. Products that include tracking provide end-to-end visibility.

Lower-cost products, such as Delivery Confirmation™, only include Confirmation of Delivery. This means that a user checking the Track & Confirm site for a mailpiece sent with Delivery Confirmation should see, at a minimum, when the mailpiece was delivered or when a delivery attempt occurred. USPS may also provide users with additional scan on items that include confirmation of delivery, such as “processed”, “arrival at unit”, or “out for delivery.” However, the price of these lower-cost products does not include end-to-end visibility.

18. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Clarification was printed on shipping firearms in the October 6, 2011 Postal Bulletin.

Pay particular attention to 12.2 A

Policies, Procedures, and Forms Updates
    Manuals
    DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms — Clarification
    Effective November 7, 2011, the Postal Service™ will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Ser­vice, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) 601.12.1 through 601.12.3 to clarify the standards surrounding the mailability of firearms.

These clarifications were prepared in collaboration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and neither expands nor limits the current require­ments for the shipment of firearms through the U. S. Postal Service®. Prior to this clarification, firearms mailing options were only provided to the prospective mailer through an ATF contact. The primary purpose of this article is to pro­vide clarity for those individuals seeking advice on the mail­ing of firearms and related items and to help reduce the number of questions submitted to the ATF.

Additionally, the Postal Service is providing guidelines for the mailing of air guns, which reflect reasonable prac­tices commonly used in the industry.

Postmasters may provide these revised guidelines to firearms mailers immediately.

Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM)

600 Basic Standards for All Mailing Services

601 Mailability

12.0 Other Restricted and Nonmailable Matter

[Revise title of 12.1 as follows:]

12.1 Firearms

12.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

[Delete current items 12.1.1a and 12.1.1g in their entirety and replace with the following.]

a. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be convert­ed to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm.

b. Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm that provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breech­block, and firing mechanism and that is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

c. Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 12.1.1a, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels that are less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or other­wise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shot­gun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow con­cealment on the person.

f. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, deal­er, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Al­cohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).

g. Curio and relic collector means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms de­fined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

h. Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shot­gun/pistol that is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and that cannot use fixed am­munition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm that is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by re­placing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combina­tion thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

i. Air gun means a gun that fires a projectile by means of compressed air or other gas (including paintball and pellet guns).

12.1.2 Handguns

[Revise 12.1.2 as follows:]

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affi­davit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.

b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b that are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be cu­rios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signa­ture service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components reg­ulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.

12.1.3 Authorized Persons

[Revise introductory sentence of 12.1.3 as follows:]

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties:

[Revise the title and text of 12.1.5 as follows:]

12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufac­turers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade ship­ments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

[Revise the title and text of 12.1.6 as follows:]

12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer, or importer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and compo­nents of handguns under 12.1.2d, are being mailed in cus­tomary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers, or importers of firearms.

[Revise the title and text of 12.1.7 as follows:]

12.1.7 Federal and Other Law Enforcement Agencies

Handguns may be mailed without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6 if the item is:

a. Addressed to a scientific laboratory or crime detec­tion bureau of any federal, state, or local law enforce­ment agency whose members are authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

b. Sent by an authorized agent of the federal govern­ment as an official shipment to any qualified address­ee in 12.1.3, or to a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms, or to a federal agency.

[Delete 12.2, Antique Firearms, in its entirety and renumber the current 12.3 through 12.22 as the new 12.2 through 12.21.]

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns

[Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]

Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shot­guns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:

a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must in­clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner’s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immedi­ately preceding the name of the applicable tem­porary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a.

c. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 12.2a.

d. Except as described in 12.1.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the defini­tion of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domes­tically to FFL licensed curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed us­ing those services described in 12.2a.

e. Firearms that are certified by the curator of a munic­ipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be ac­cepted for mailing without restriction.

f. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

12.3 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

[Revise renumbered 12.3 as follows:]

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Further advice and ATF contact information is available at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/

We will incorporate these revisions into the next monthly update of the online DMM, which is available via Postal Explorer® at http://pe.usps.com.

— Product Classification,
    Pricing, 10-6-11

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I send guns and Bbls through USPS w/tracking number all the time, I just sent My Blaser Bbl to them a week or so ago.

I tracked i9t and also called to confirm they got it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Pyrdek & Postmastertim,

Thanks for the legal "ammo".

I didn't feel like debating with them and just took their advise and went to UPS. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.