1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS can

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Tell them to check in Anchorage, that seems to be where everything gets sent for a detour.

2. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Please keep us posted on this mess. Did you send via Priority Mail or some other method? Rich

3. rdf59

rdf59 Member

How could you have it insured for full amount if $5,000 is the max insurance the PO will give?

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Insurance for Registered Mail is up to $25,000. I suspect they will find it. Call the Postal Inspectors also.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No you buy insurance for whatever amount you want- just for registered it is a lot cheaper rate for some reason- than for regular mail

One thing you have to be careful of though is I think you do have to declare it is a firearm-- you might want to check on that if you didnt and then you involve the ATF

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

No declaration at USPS for registered and insured mail. They can't even ask!

7. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I had the same problem in Cinnti

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Registered mail is signed for every time it moves. If it stays in one place overnight, it is locked up. Go to your Post Master from the PO you mailed it from and talk to him. They can track it and, if necessary, they will get Postal Inspectors involved. It may take a little time, but they'll eventually solve the puzzle.

If you insured it for full value, it's also in their best interest to find it.

Oh, and I'd take photos and the serial number with you when you go to see the Post Master.

Gene in Illinois

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Registered mail is the reason. So much individual protection and it does not get any priority treatment. Actually goes to the back of the line often. Delivery date is up in the air but it will deliver. NOt timely, but registered is pretty safe.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Don't call BATF.

One of the pistols I sold to TX using registered mail via FFL was lost for 8 days between CA and TX, no tracking information can be found before it showed up in TX.

If I didn't send a picture of the receipt with tracking number to the buyer the day we mailed it, he probably wouldn't believe me.

11. alf174

alf174 Member

OP says don't use USPS but I still think you'll get better results (recovery or insurance payoff) than UPS or FED-EX (private business) just because of laws and other systems in place.

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the op's timeline at first. I agree with MIA, registered mail is safe but certainly not fast. I'm surprised they told you two days with registered mail packages, my experience is more like 1.5 weeks.

13. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yep,
    I feel your pain, I sold a shotgun about 8 months ago and the same thing happened. Mine sat in NJ for almost 45 days without being delivered. I got the run around for weeks. I finally sent the buyer his money back and dealth with filing a claim. Funny once I put the claim in it got delivered to the buyers FFL. The original buyer had bought another gun but his friend was interested in it so I ended having to sell it to him for $150 less. So the PO basically screwed me out of $150 or I would have to eat the cost of having it sent back to me.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Sooooooo, everyone still think UPS, and Fed Ex are the worst? Maybe more expensive, but at least you can track it, and I have never had a bad experience, or late delivery for that matter.

15. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

SF,

Your running on borrowed time.....I've issues with them all! The last shipment I made with UPS (and I mean the last) was packed in a wooden box with the lid screwed down..they somehow managed to lose it for two weeks, bust the lid open and send various parts contained in the box to different locations.
    The did pay handsomely for there mistake.

I've had better luck wiht USPS than any of the big three and the ladies at the PO don't go schizo when I mail a gun.

Ken

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Your experience with the looming disaster that is befalling our postal system is fair warning to all of us, and enough reason for me to stop doing business with them altogether. (when there's a choice). Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Thanks for the warning...best mike

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Steve W, you sent a pistol by registered mail??????

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have to go with the USPS---My UPS and Fedx get very weary when I say it's a gun---My UPS won't even take a gun---I have to go to a central location 20 mi away and they don't want to do guns either----When I go to my PO the clerks know I have a gun and don't even ask anymore---I always offer a statement that the gun is not loaded and signed by a witness and also offer a copy of the FFL as to where it's going---They insure fully and no ??s asked----I'v sent many and no problems and I always have tracking-----And I think the USPS is in same ballpark $$ wise---With all the above you can sleep at night---Tracking and Ins is your insurance-----

JMO---Do as you think best---

George@SJB

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The mail service just plain sucks anymore and if you use registered or priority it gets even worse.it is sad but true, when I go to the main post office here in Nampa it seems like I am dealing with Walmart employees. They know nothing and have no interest in knowing. They will shut down and leave you standing just so they can take their breaks. Customer service is non existant. I have the best luck with fed Ex but as Bob stated, they are all crappy

20. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

As posted above, every time someone touches Reg. mail they have to sign for it.

I have used it for many years without any problems, sending some pretty valuable items.

I'm wondering if the talk of no Sat. mail might be having a "slow down situation".

Regards.....Gerald