1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USPS and shipping a shotgun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Can anyone cite chapter and verse in the USPS operating manual that says a person can or cannot send a shotgun to a FFL. I was told today by the battle axe that runs our rural PO that I can't send a gun in the mail, end of discussion. She knows all the rules and thats final. I would like to prove her wrong if she is wrong, I sure don't know.

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

She is WRONG. Get on the USPS website and search firearms. If has been a while since I have done it but you can print it out and then she can "relearn" her regulations the correct way.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have shipped my shotgun at my local post office with no problem. I never had to even tell them what was in the package. First they ask you if it spolls, then ask you if it is a hazzardous like paints, misc. I said no to both and insured it. If you insure the package it limits the ways you can ship it. Other than that no problem. Now pistols are different. Break-em all. Jeff

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Try this web address.

Shipping firearms via USPS is covered by Section 12, Restricted Items.

You can only ship a handgun via USPS if you are some how attached to the government or between dealers, manufacturers, etc.

Read section 12.1.2

Rifles and shotguns can be shipped as provided by 12.3.

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I just found it !!!! Her dumb a** needs to study her section " 601 on Mailability" and then she can refer to 12.3. ......And when she understands that she needs to read 12.4---and then she can proceed to shut up and process your package.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Shotguns & rifles are mailable. Google DMM 601(Domestic Mailing Manual)& go to section 12.5. Print this out & take it to her. Ask for the postmaster if she gives you any trouble. You can only ship to an FFL holder if going out of state. Make sure you take the FFL along. Handguns can be shipped FFL dealer to FFL dealer by PO but form 1508 must be filled out. Tell her to get out the DMM & look it up. Take your cell phone & have the # handy & call the Postmaster General rite in front of her while at the window. File a complaint with the PO regarding the way she treated you but calling right there in front of her should rattle her cage.

7. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

I go by the rules but I never tell them its a gun I'm shipping. My post office has never ask me.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I go by the rules but I never tell them its a gun I'm shipping."

The rules allow that? Are you shipping to individuals or FFLs?

9. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Thanks guys, can't wait till next week. I doubt she will admit she is wrong. Will probably say that if it isn't against the law it should be.

10. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

You can also ship the shotgun interstate to yourself. If you're going to a shoot in another state you may ship it to yourself at the address that you're going to be at and then home again.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I went through the same scenario with a few "know it alls" that work in the post office. Everyone has a supervisor. I would request the name of her supervisor and contact him/her. I would suggest that she may need update training in knowing postal regulations and most importantly she should attend sensitivity training; to allow her to converse with the customers in a proper manner. JMHO. Ed

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

The last time I shipped a shotgun through the mail I told the Postmaster what was in the box and how much it should be insured for. Our Postmaster goes by "the book" and SHE would have told me if it was against the rules to send guns through the mail. My Daughter works in a different PO and they ship & receive guns nearly every day. Larry Evans

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Forget using UPS to ship a gun!

I went through that at our local depot!

The gal at the counter said that I could not ship a gun ... ans so did her supervisor ( another yuppie type gal) ... even though I pointed out their own rules!

I left there and went to the Post Office ... there the gal asked what was in the box I said a shotgun, all she said is do you want to insure it?

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ahab, you miss read his post. He did go to the post office and was told he could not ship his shotgun!!!.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It's just like the law, it doesn't matter what is written all that matters is what the Judge (postmaster) believes the law is.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I take a printout every time I go. The folks in my area are knowledgeable, and not a problem.

They do have the right to open the package and insure that the firearm is not loaded, but I only had that happen once, in Phoenix.

It was cheaper to send the spare gun to myself, in care of my host, than to pay an extra luggage fee.

Joe Petoskey's website, Losttarget.com has links to ALL the shippers' regs.

Counter monkeys sometimes have an exaggerated sense of their own authority.

They hate when I produce the printout.

HM

17. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

I have shipped (2) shotguns to two different people and had no problems.And this was all with-in the last two months.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"I go by the rules but I never tell them its a gun I'm shipping. My post office has never ask me."

I use to do this as well until someone more educated in the gun trading buisness explained this is a bad practice. When you insure your gun when shipping(which you should when shipping), if you do not tell them what it is and have it documented, good luck collecting when sh!t goes wrong. Just say'n........

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

This is a pretty good FAQ on shipping guns.

20. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

your postal person is wrong as many post's have told you when i used them all they wanted to know was if it was a pistol or long gun and how much to insur it for very helpfull and i will use them anytime instead of u.p.s. who told me i must go to a terminal 30 minutes away. you probally got a anti gun person and they like to make rules not follow them. it is a shame you be honest with them and they make up rules and be a pain in the ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sending shotguns by usps

shipping a shotgun by usps

shipping a shotgun usps