1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using your trap gun for hunting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Assuming that your trap gun is safe for field use and hunting...

How many of you use your trap gun for hunting pheasants and other upland game ?

If so, do you use the same chokes for hunting as you do for trap ?

With perhaps an adjustment for shot size, how many of you use the same load for hunting upland game as you use for trap -- e.g., 1-1/8 ounce at 1145 or 1235 fps ?

While most of us have shotguns that are designed specifically for hunting, many of us have more experience with our trap guns as to knowing how and where the gun shoots.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have used trap guns for so long I can not use a standard hunting gun. I have used nothing but trap guns for hunting since the 70s. The only trap guns that I use for hunting are a 12 BPS and a Cynergy o/u. I guess the SBTs would work but reloading would be a pain. Before the flames, yes they are used for waterfowl and turkey. Those who think they need 3" and bigger need to practice for a while.

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I have used an 1100 Trap with fixed modified barrel for pheasants many times. Also have used a Browning Ultra XT. Fine results for both but the XT was feeling a little heavy by day's end. As for shells, handloads with 1.25 oz. of 6's or 4's, or Gun Club 3 dram 7.5's.

Chris

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for driven shoots I could see it being practical....don't know about stomping around the woods all day hunting for quail and grouse though with a 9 to 10 lb sporting gun.

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Shot a lot of ducks and pheasants with my Model 12 trap gun when that was the only gun I owned. I now use my MX8 for pheasants when the weather is nice, and shoot nothing but AA Heavy Hcps. for a load, and it murders the ditch parrots. Chokes are Briley IC and IM. Live Well

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My 1965 30" Superposed BROADWay has been choked with Briley tubes so I can use it for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I take it afield and use the SK/Mod chokes...

I like the ability to always see the bird!

regards,

Jay

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Why would anyone want to use a Trap gun to hunt with?I use a 12ga 24" bbl 6-lb
    Franchi for all upland game---I use a Winchester super x 2 for ducks and deer.
    Total value of both guns---$1,000.00---I don't get it---JMO---SJB---
    southjblue_2008_0303318.jpg

8. jlb

jlb Member

The last two years I have used a Model 21 Winchester Trap with a vent rib for Pheasants. It is fun to shoot and adds to the enjoyment of hunting.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Personally i can't see anybody in their right mind dragging a Beretta 682 Gold E Trap(what i use) or more expensive gun to the field. You would be subjecting it to briars and tree saplings that can and will scratch the holy crap out of your stock and finish. I have a late 60's 870 Remington Wingmaster that i use in the field. That's me though as i do not have money to throw away on gun refinishing. I would be sick if my Trap gun's stock turned out like the 870's. I don't abuse that 870 but it has been field tested.

Matt

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For the reasons Matt pointed out, I have a matte-finished 1100 with a choke tube barrel that I use for all shotgun hunting, but it has a camo Monte Carlo stock and forend. Once you're used to a gun that shoots as high as my trap guns do, it takes a lot of misses with a stock field gun before you consciously force yourself to cover the target.

My son uses his 687 Silver Pigeon II trap gun with its O/U barrel for doves, however, and I've used mine on occasion, too - double releases and all.

Ed

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My mountain cur treed a squirrel one evening while I was cleaning our guns, I took my CG and went after the squirrel.. when I got close to the tree it took off and hasnt been seen since.. I guess the extra high ribbed barrel spooked it...hehe..

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of my favorite pheasant guns is a 391 trap model Beretta with a 32" barrel. Very effective.

I have also used my 682x trap model Beretta with just the single barrel for a day of rooster hunting. I did this kind of on a dare with a buddy with the thought being we would make the days hunt last a bit longer. As it turned out we both limited just as quickly as if we would have been using our autoloaders.

As long as the gun has a functional safety and a pull trigger, I don't see why it wouldn't work for hunting. But just as there are certain features that make a trap gun really good for the game of trap, there is the flip side of the coin where a true field gun has features that make it really good in the field. A good field gun doesn't need to be ugly or cheaply made and you don't need to beat the field gun up or abuse it either.

13. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I have used a BT99 on pheasants, carried open with a shell in. It worked pretty well. It was a bit long and heavy to carry in the taller stuff. I have also used a 1100 trap on european starlings with great results.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've not been bird hunting in a few years but I do shoot sporting alot with my 30" Citori Plus...If I had to use it for birds it would be right at home

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

More than a few Dove,squirrel and duck/goose dinners at my home have been thru the courtesy of a M-12 trap. I dont hunt any more because of health issues, but if I did the trap gun would certainly be in my hands .

16. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I was not very serious about my first turkey hunting trip. It was on a draw basis and I was lucky enough to get the first three days. It was over in 30 minutes, on the first day. Used my BT-99 and a rabbit load to kill. No camo at all and I sat on top of a shiny seat that I took. Those birds had never been hunted before, it is not like that anymore in that area. Used my Citori Special Sporting High Rib several times on pheasants hunts and always shot better with that type of gun.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Naw. My 1187 trap barrel is just too long and too heavy to be lugging around the field. Maybe if I put on my lighter sporting clays barrel.

But I have plenty of other shotguns for field work. Most with finishes more suitable for that environment.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Trap guns are about all I have used for 35t years now. Darn field guns are to crooked. Put two Tshirts worth of material on the comb and still don't come up right. I have played with a 391 field in recent years but finally have given it up. THis past year I fitted an 1100 Monte Carlo trap stock to a LT20 and that worked well but thats kind of a hybrid.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pheasantmaster, I installed an 1187 monte carlo stock to my 1187 20ga. Works well for sporting clays, upland, and as a 7/8ths scale trap gun. I wanted the POI of all my shotguns to be the same. The only ones that aren't are my old Win 24 side by side and a Browning Model 12 in 20ga. The latter is one sweet, lightweight, upland gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you use a trap gun for hunting

hunting with a trap gun
hunting with trap shotgun

trap gun for hunting

trap shotgun for hunting
using a trap gun for hunting
using a trap gun for sporting
what is trap gun used in hunting