1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using your bike to travel to shoots...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 8708, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8708

8708 Member

Do any of you travel to shoots on your bike? If so how do you pack your gear? I just bought a new Road Glide and would like to use it given the price gas will be this summer. Let's see your set up.

2. Arkie

Arkie Member

I have a FLHTC with a trailer I pull behind put all the shooting stuff in it. Makes it very easy to go to shoots. Two of us went from IL. to OH. Have fun in your travels. Maybe see you at IL. state or OH.state shoot. Rick

3. shelly

shelly TS Member

If I ride my bike, I'm too tired to shoot. All that pedaling gets to me after 20 miles or so.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Do you have tour pack rack? I use bungy cords to strap the case down to the rack. Shells go in the tour pack.

5. 8708

8708 Member

Arkie,
    It's a new FLTRU Road Glide Ultra. What kind of trailer do you have?

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

lol@shelly

maybe you need clips

Clips are the major technical innovation- 30 percent less effort is needed so you will have energy to shoot after pedalling

Those of you that are riding the powered kind of bike might shoot better if you pedalled one ?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

FLHT with a tourpak rack. Went from western MO to Sparta for the 09 Grand. Clothes in Wal-Mart blue bags in the the saddles, shooting gear in the tourpak and guns bungeed to the rack. Too hot in 2010, drove the truck. At 72+ I won't be going in future years when it's hot. A large portion of Grand shooters are over 60. I think they'll be loosing more participants if they don't change the dates out of the hottest time of year.

Buz

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When I lived in Chicago years ago I lived about a mile from the old Lincoln Park Traps. I would routinely strap the gun case across the handle bars and my bag on to the rear fender and peddle my way through Lincoln Park to the trap club. No one even gave it a second look back then.

Eric

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've been contemplating setting up a bicycle for varmint hunting. Did this many years ago when I was a lot younger.

It's possible to bike to the local trap club. The old trolley line that ran behind it is now a rails-to-trails project. Some trapshooters used to ride the trolley to the club 100 years ago. However, I doubt I'd get very far with a cased gun before the local po-po went ape.

10. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Allow me to share some frustration. About three years ago I ran into a couple of guys at the International Motorcycle Show in Seattle. They were peddling a hardside golf bag that attached to a motorcycle and held the clubs more or less vertically on one side of the bike. Another show visitor and I said at the same time, "You guys need to make something like this that could carry a shotgun." Well, the other potential customer wanted to carry a rifle, but we had the same idea. The peddlers said they were looking into it already since that wasn't the first time they had heard the request. They were from Spokane and said they had had pretty good luck selling their product, so I'm thinking they didn't just disappear from lack of sales, but I can't find any trace of them or their operation. The golf bag setup was simple, well-made, and looked like it would take pretty good care of a set of clubs. Seemed like it wouldn't take rocket science to transfer their concept to a gun case, but I sure can't find them. Has anybody else seen these guys, or any kind of product like what I'm describing? I've wanted to follow up with them since I first saw what they had, but I sure can't find them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.