1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using WD40 to clean firearms

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfram, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As a water displacer, WD40 is great. (hence the WD) As a lube it may be better than nothing but not by much. The spray cans are pretty handy for blasting crud out of the nooks and crannies but there again, WD40 isn't much of a solvent. There are alot of better products for firearm care.

2. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

PRO: It's far better than nothing.

CON: There are better choices.

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

WD-40 is good for removing surface rust if you have neglected your firearms. Shame on you if that happens.

Because it is good for removing surface rust, it removes rust-type bluing.

I never let WD-40 touch my guns. In a pinch I will use whatever oil is handy, including regular 10W-30.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm a committee of one on this board that has been using WD-40 to clean and protect his guns, revolvers, auto-pistols, rifles, and shotguns, since it's first being marketed around the late '60s. I've had zero problems doing it but there are 40:1 others on here that tell me I'm full of bovine fecal matter. Battling this argument on several occasions I get the drift that folks warn that "drenching" guns in WD-40 and storing them is a path to ruination but I NEVER do that. I may soak internals or drench them but it's always brushed and blown out and wiped down for storage.

Now I use it to thoroughly clean, wipe or blow out any excess, then very sparingly apply a little to pivot points or the like. I have a couple of old T-shirts and hand towels that have been wiping off my guns for years and are essentially "WD-40 rags" and all fingerprints and marks are removed with those rags and guns put away. I store shotguns in cases then in my safe, rifles are cleaned and not cased but in the safe along with the handguns and a few other sacred items. When others tell tales of storing guns for long times with much WD-40 on them ending in disaster, I remind them of my father-in-laws #62 winchester .22 rifle that was well drenched in good ol' Hoppes #9 and stood upright in his closet. After he died and my wife took possession of the gun, we had to have a gunsmith soak it in some magic gunk remover and spend 1/2 a day returning it to operational. The suggestion of that, of course, is clean your guns often whatever you use. You can make your own mind but that's been my experience....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Actually that should be "male bovine fecal matter".

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

The only time I use WD 40 is after shooting in the rain. Its great getting the water out.

TB

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I also like WD40. It really makes a quick clean up and I have also been using it since the 60's. I do however use "RiG" to wipe them down with externally when I know they are going to be stored for a long period of time. Rig is a gun grease

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

See what Brownells has to say, you do trust them, Don't you !!!

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

See what Brownells has to say, you do trust them, Don't you !!!

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Excellent test! I used WD to hose off my Browning and wipedown after shooting 200 targets through a major constant downpour..no damage at all especially after laying the gun out broken down that the trucks rear heater blowing on it for the entire ride home made sure all water had been heat evaporated

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My expensive 2 cents: Use Krieghoff oil to wipe down guns...and lube with Krieghoff grease. I figure it it's good enough for an expensive K-Gun...well ya gets what ya pays for. I like WD for the quick clean up before the K-gun wipe down...WD in a pinch at the range.

12. Djones

Djones TS Member

I like Kroil (spelling error) for serious cleaning, otherwise I use RemOil of CLP - whichever is handy.
    FWIW, my boat mechanic is a devoted fan of WD-40. He recommends spraying down your motor with WD-40 prior to going out in the saltwater. I have taken his advise and my old '73 Merc is clean as a whistle under the cawling where it matters.
    Don

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BDODD....make that a committee of at least 2. I too have been using WD40 ever since it hit the market.

I spray my guns with WD40 and wipe them down with an old Tshirt...never have had any rust on them.

Jim Miller....remember many "gunsmiths" are full of crap and misinformation!

14. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I also have been using wd on my guns, and everything else. spray on and in the barrells to prevent rust. I use starter fluid as a degreaser on hingesand internals and then spray with slip 2000 and blow off excess with a air compressor to leave a thin film.

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim, I've never been a gunsmiths shop where there wasn't a can of the terrible stuff sitting on the shelf. Guress where we go is different, eh? ;-)....Bob Dodd

16. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Make that "3" after almost a lifetime of use for almost everything in the cleaning and lube catagory. Jimmy Borum

17. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I think there are far better DEDICATED gun cleaning and rust preventative products out there than WD-40. I've seen guys lube guns with everything from Auto Trans fluid, to Harley 50 wt oil.

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i have used nothing but wd40
    for over forty years with great results. there will always be those who will resist whatever is popular and a lot will have what they think is a better idea, but nothing speaks like success, and wd40 is it.

19. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

In my experience, WD40 is a pretty good solvent. I spray it down the bores after shooting and then swab it out with patches. The little that remains in the bore is good rust protectant.

Also, WD40 is a darn good rust protectant. Independent tests have confirmed this. I often spray it on a rag and wipe down the exterior metal parts after shooting.

As a lubricant, I'm not too sold on WD40 for the long term, but it will work OK for a short time.

I shot in the rain last week and after I got home, I dried the gun thoroughly and sprayed it down all over with WD40. Looks good as new.

I think WD40 has gotten a bad rap. As I said, there are much better lubricants available, but overall WD40 does a pretty good job of cleaning and rust preventing.

20. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I am also a great fan of WD40 for spraying down the bores to remove powder/plastic residue after a days shooting and also after shooting in the rain. Not a great fan of its lubricating qualities BUT as said it is better than nothing . BDODD -- should that not be " male bovine faeces" ??
    regards Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.