1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using up Powder on a Mec

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loophole, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

How do you use up all the powder in a Med powder bottle without shorting a shell of powder. I'm going to change powders and I don't want to waste any. I'm afraid that if the level of powder gets too low that I won't have enough powder in the shell.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. tburrey

tburrey Member

I have a Mec 650 and a grabber and this is the way I do it. I make sure the red plugs at the top of the bottle are in tight then just lift up and rotate the bottles back and down so there almost upside down then screw the powder bottle off and dump the powder from the bottle back into my powder container on my bench. Screw the bottle back on and lift the bottles back up on top of the loader and I'm ready to put in the new powder. This may not work the same with other types of reloaders. Can only help you with what I'm familiar with. Hope this helps. Tom

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

just run out the last of the powder into a shell and spread it on the lawn.

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

When powder gets down to neck of bottle, pull the red top plug and check the last few drops visually from above. When you can see the shiney silver top of the powder bushing, time to throw out what little might be left.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

When the powder level in the bottle gets low, many reloaders begin throwing light charges. For a little left over powder, I usually store it in a container under my bench for 10-15 years and then toss it out on my lawn. I now have a few containers that were designed to hold 8 or 12 pounds of powder that have about 4 ounces of powder in them. I also have a few plastic containers that have unknown powders in them. Does anyone know how many grains of unknown powder will make a good singles load? Is it time to add some more fertilizer to my lawn?

Pat Ireland

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

as long as the powder bushing fills completely, you'll have a decent charge

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

This doesn't answer your question, but the factory MEC powder bottles used to(likely still do) have a red line on the side of them that said "minimum powder level". It's right down at the bottom where bottle's neck begins. If you continue to load when the powder reaches below this level, it's probably not a good thing. A shell with an inadequate or missing powder charge can make for an interesting round of trap. Good luck.

Guess you could take the bottle off, then begin weighing the charges manually and add them to the hull when it gets to that point in the process.

8. scorpman

scorpman Member

I was actually thinking of this same issue too. I have not tried this and it is just a hypothesis right now, but, to add weight and pressure to the little bit of powder that is left and make it meter like a full tube, how about taking a small bag of sand or flower and dropping it in the tube? Double bag it so it doesn't leak - tie a string to it to pull it out easier. That would increase the weight of the powder column. Any thoughts on trying this?

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Load the last few on one of those old Manual Lee Loaders using the scoops. You could also just use a standard powder measure and weigh out the last of the powder usning that method instead of the bushing.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

tschoenke, In my simple mind, tburrey has the clearest answer. My two different MEC machines permit you to tip the bottles back and down sufficiently to then unscrew the bottle and pour remaining powder into it's factory canister or spread the little bit of powder left in the garden. DO, however, take great care to have the red stoppers in the shot and powder bottle tops or shot and powder will be all over your desk. I try to use the shot down low similar to the powder to ensure no spillage. As far as how far down I'd go before dumping the rest, I'd have to guess I've done it when there's still good drops as determined by a reliable scale rather than waiting until it starts dropping bad weights.......Bob Dodd

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I ran a bottle of powder literally down to empty. Just for the heck, I weighed each of the last ten or so. Until the last partial fill load, they all measured the same amount as when the bottle was full, half, and quarter full.

12. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I verify the last drops useing my scale when it gets out of sight.

13. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

If he don't know enough to answer his own question he shouldn't be reloading in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.