1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using tokens

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

Due to a recent influx of new shooters at practice the money management is getting a bit sloppy. I have been toying around with the thought of selling tokens to pay for the rounds. My thought is that when you arrive you would purchase the tokens for the rounds you expect to shoot and as you take the line you give the scorrer your token and he checks you as paid on the score sheet. This way you are only chasing 5 shooters at a time for their fee. Offering discounts for tokens is not an option as we already have a very reasonable per round price ($3.00). Does anyone else have a similar setup that works for you? What do you use for tokens?

Don in PA

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Invest in Briley token boxes.

3. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

yep we did the only way 2 go

4. skeet_man

I believe they are around 40c ea.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If Im not mistaken the coins are special made. This is so someone cant make up a slug to use. New coins are several dollars each.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The part that concerns me about token pay is if a club throws a lot of broken clays or has overly sensitive mics. Is EVERYTHING in perfect working order?

7. oh3200hntr

oh3200hntr TS Member

The Briley coin boxes have dip switches where you can set the value of each token, put them on tournament play (this is what you would use for reg. or league shoots), and even doubles. This is what we use and they are great.

8. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

I have shot at clubs that used the Briley coin boxes, they reduced the "Unpaid" birds from a 37% bird loss to a 4% bird loss.

9. skeet_man

Just asked my dad, he said they are 44c/ea from Briley, but I'm sure that depends on quantity. He told me they were 59c in the past, but I think it fluctuates depending on quantity (in the past, we've ordered quantities of 500 or 1000).

Certainly well less than "several dollars each".

We are going to purchase our next batch from Hoffman Mint, they have coins that are extremely close in dimension to what we're getting from Briley (sample tokens function perfectly in our machines), can be customized with your clubs logo (instead of the briley logo and your clubs name lasered over it), and are significantly cheaper than what Briley charges (significantly cheaper if you use stock designs, if you have a custom design made they are still quite a bit cheaper).

I suspect Briley buys them in very large quantities from Hoffman Mint anyways, since there is a tiny "HM" logo on each Briley coin.

The size that matches up to your Briley coins is $242/k using std designs (so about 55% of what Briley gets). I think Briley has 6 or so different sizes to prevent overlap within a region, so you'll need to investigate which size matches up with your machines. Custom logo from HM is $195+, depending on complexity. Our first order should be $437, so a couple bucks cheaper than Briley, but every order after that will be $195 less since the custom logo is a 1x charge.

Hoffman will send you samples and an info packet upon request.

10. skeet_man

"The part that concerns me about token pay is if a club throws a lot of broken clays or has overly sensitive mics. Is EVERYTHING in perfect working order?"

If the club throws a lot of broken targets, the shooters should complain, and the management should correct the problem. In the long run, both the shooters and the club benefit b/c the shooter is incentivized to inform the management of issues (and hopefully have the problem corrected so they aren't distracted by constant broken targets), and the management is incentivized to correct the issues promptly or loose business. 99% of the problem is when shooters get a couple broken birds, then keep pressing the button again and again until the trap self-clears and a whole one comes out, when a vast majority of the time a lot of targets could be saved if they simply stopped and cleared the issue without wasting a dozen targets to do so. There is absolutely no excuse to have more than 1 or 2 broken targets per full squad, and even that is a lot.

In the presence of voice releases, the shooters need to learn to keep quiet when they aren't calling for the target. We had some minor issues with this when we first got the coin boxes, but after shooters realized they were getting down to the last 2-3 targets, and the token box had counted down to 0 because they were talking and wasting targets, they learned pretty quickly, and it is a non-issue now (we no longer throw 40 targets per 25 shells b/c someone wasted 15 of them talking with the mics on). It also eliminated the days where people would leave on the voice release and carry on a conversation next to the mics, throwing out a couple dozen targets before they walked away or realized what they were doing.

Beyond the initial few weeks of growing pains of a club moving to target boxes, I've never heard of any other problems. I've NEVER heard of a club going BACK to the honor system after they installed coin boxes, and every club that I've been to that has installed them raves about how many more targets they're actually getting paid for. One local club estimated over 50% loss before installing counters on their sporting clays fields.

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

you can make it succeed !

or you can make it fail ?

Long Range Target Key works very well at the clubs that i have used them at..

12. Rodney1966

Rodney1966 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot at the TSSC at Buckley AFB in Colorado, it's $3.00 a round as well. Instead of tokens we use tickets (the same as raffle tickets) I think there very cheap. All shooters write there name on the back of the ticket, and turn them in just before shooting, at that time there punched with a hand heald hole punch. It also provides a way to keep track of who's shooting, as were also responsible for filling, and maintaining the trap houses. Rodney Erkson

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A couple clubs use printed sticky labels (numbered). They are attached to the score sheet.

A few other clubs have punch cards.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Another vote for Briley tokens on Skeet or trap, Promatic Wireless for Sporting.

We lost several well heeled shooters when we went to tokens. We also went from about 40% to about 5% loss. We set 26 birds per round. After several rounds, there are a few spares.

Don't rough house your targets, keep your machines in good shape, and they will not break targets. Folks will simply have to keep their chatter under control when on the Trap line.

I used to shoot with an elderly gent that I deeply respected. I dropped in an extra token when he shot with me to make up for the extra targets he would throw by talking, moving speakers, etc. He was worth it.

15. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Punch cards work well for our club

Jim

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We use the Target Key system. The key is registered to the shooter and there is no cheating the system. If you shoot the targets it knows how many and who shot them. The system is set to give you 27 birds per 25. To me that's not enough but they do compound. In other words if you use exactly 25, then the 2 extra carry over to your next round. We had an issue with some loaders doing a piss poor job that resulted in way too many broken targets. People complained and changes(in personnel) were made.

I wish the system wasn't needed but the honor system was abused badly. Folks were shooting 4 rounds and paying for one. The key system stopped that cold.

17. Smiley

Smiley Member

At our club in Australia we have coin operation on Skeet,Bunker and Trap and it has been working over 6 years now with very issues,it has made a great deal of difference to our profits as you don't realise how much you lose in takings with shooters asking for extra targets that they are not paying for.

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have yet to get 25 targets I can or am ready to shoot at, from a token machine.

The slightest noise and gun close sets the things off.

19. radeck

radeck Member

27 targets per token is the way to go. A box of White flyer targets contains 135, or 5 rounds x 27 targets. Must be a reason.

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The Briley boxes work at our club. Of course, our machines work and our targets are well taken care of. That's all it takes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley coin
briley coins
briley token

briley tokens

da briley coin
token briley hm
what are briley coins
what is a briley coin