1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using the Adj. Rib ONLY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lancelot, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancelot

lancelot Member

I understand that raising or lowering of a shotgun's comb raises or lowers POI, but I am not certain of what raising or lowering a rib by itself does.

I think I am correct in thinking that if you raise the comb and wish to keep the same sight picture, you had before doing so, you would lower the rib. What I would like to know is - if you do NOT make any adjustment to the comb and you raise or lower the rib will you change the POI ?

The exact situation is: I would like to shoot singles with the top barrel of my O/U and handicap with the single barrel. I would like for the handicap set- up to shoot slighly higher and without a comb adjustment. Would this be possible say with the rib on the O/U in the middle position and the rib on the single barrel set in the bottom position with no change to the comb.

Thanks for the help. Ron Ireland

2. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Lowering the FRONT of the rib ONLY will result in the gun shooting higher. As far as ur sight picture goes I have no idea--I personally don't waste time stacking beads--bead stacking has been cussed and discussed here innumerable times.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Careful.....

4. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

if your head dont move, poi dont move,... period.

Showdawg

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You guys are a hoot! Raise or lower the front bead, you move the poi! raise or lower the comb, you raise or lower the poi! Bead moves poi opposite direction, the comb moves it the same direction you want to move it! Tom Rhoads

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Say you, say you! Does water still run down hill??

Raise the comb = raise the point of impact.

Lower the comb = lower the point of impact.

Remove the front bead = raise the point of impact.

Place a larger front bead on = lower point of impact.

Lower the rib = ? No change/higher poi

Raise the rib = ? No change/lower poi

Truth???

Regards

W&W

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Lance-A-Lot...

You are well on your way to A-Just-O-Matic Hell!!!

May as well toss in an adjustable recoil pad too!!!

Plan on spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get it zeroed in.
    Generally speaking...try to set the comb with the O/U barrels...THEN...put the Un-Single barrel on and adjust the rib. Meanwhile find a gunsmith that can replace all the set screws or order up a full set of replacement parts and pieces...and may as well get a bag or two of choke tubes to play with too!

No doubt in my mind...all the variables and adjustments will do little more than provide excuses for missed targets. If by some stroke of luck you happen to find a winning combination...super glue the settings and focus on shooting!

How did we ever shoot trap without all these distractions??????????

Smok'n Joe

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ron, while the general rule is that if you move the rib you change the POI - lower the front and raise the POI, for example - whether you will be able to do what you want depends entirely on where the two sets of barrels shoot. You can't end up so low you can't see the bead on one or the other setup, that's all. Also, the rib movement has to be enough to get the POI's you want too, of course.

Neil

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Neil,

How did the Carlson's Choke Tubes test out????

Smok'n Joe

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Don't you just love those sex guns with enough adjustments that you can fiddle with until you really screw it up!

11. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

I understand what you want to do as I did similar. One step at a time, start by getting your comb with the o/u barrels shooting exactly how you want. Then put on your single barrel and adjust the rib so that you can look down it just like your o/u barrels. If you find that you want a higher poi, as stated in some of the previous posts, lower only the bead end of the rib. Good Luck! Daryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.