1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using TGT12's for 7/8 oz loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I use nothing but TGT 12's or the Downrange clone. If I use this wad for 7/8 oz loads do I have to use a .125 inch filler in the shot cup? If I do where do I get them? Also picked up a load of Cheddite primers the other day. Looking for a good singles recipe with these primers, Claydot, TGT-12 & Rem. hulls. Thanks for any info.

Lou

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

A 20ga fiber wad over the shot, from Ballistic Products works very nicely. They worked, until I started using 7/8 oz wads which work better and save time. I can dig out the numbers & such if you need help with that. .....mike

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I tried the same thing Mike did. It worked superbly well and patterened the same. However, the fiber wads (or 1/8" cork) are expensive and tedious to load. They really slow things up. I use the Federal 12S0 wad for loads under 1220fps in Remington hulls. It produces the best load and patterns. For faster than 1220 I would use the Pink XXL DRM wad. many like the Win WAA12L (gray) wad, but I haven't had much success with it in Remy hulls.

I think you are much better off using a different wad for 7/8oz so you don't have to adjust your reloader when you switch back and forth. If you don't mind adjusting, just use the TGT-12 for 7/8oz. It works, especially if you use a bulky powder.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had to fool around with the crimp starter, punch depth and wad cam to get a decent crimp with TGT12 wads and 7/8oz shot. i used win gray wads and will try thr DR XXL pinks next order.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I use TGT-12's for my 7/8 oz load using Titewad and have zero problems with crimp height. In fact, I don't have to adjust between 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 oz loads. I use the TGT-12's for all of these loads. I don't use any filler cards.

ec90t

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ec-90T---do you change powder & or primers for the 3 different loads

Lou

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Lou,

I use titewad for my 7/8 oz loads and Titegroup for my 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads. I use Remington hulls and primers. I sometimes use Winchester 209's when Remington's aren't available.

ec90t

8. KK

KK TS Member

Switch to 20.5gr of American Select Powder or 19.5gr of Red Dot in a AA or Federal Top Gun hull. Your 7/8oz loads using either of those two formulas and just a TGT12 wad will come out perfect with no filler wad required. KK

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Here's a little more info: The 20ga card wads are Ballistic Products 20ga Maxi-Nitro Card Wads NC-20, packaged in 500's, price forgotten, but basically a PITA to use. The easiest solution, for me is Winchester AA Grey Wads WAA12L,preferring Clays or Clay DOT, and Win 209 in STS hulls. (for some reason my PW loader does not like Rem primers) .....mike

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

put the card in the bottom of the cup so you don't screw up the pattern. I adjusted the starter and crimper so I don't need fillers. 16.5 red dot, promo, or 700x works very well

regards

11. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

When I used to need to fill a little space in my shells I used to put a piece of dry dog food (Puppy Chow loads) in them after the shot was dropped, works great.

My favorite 7/8 load is 19.0 promo or 18.8 Clay Dot in a top gun hull with either Claybuster 12S0 clone or the new 6100 1 oz wad. Chedite primers.

Sorry I cant help with the tgt 12 wads, never tried them.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.