1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Steel Shot For Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was given a case of steel shot shells and am wondering about using it for trap.
    It's 12 ga., one oz., # 7. Can I use it with a Improved Modified choke or do I have to loosen it up? If so to what? Any other good advice?

This no doubt has been asked before but I have never before had a reason to read it. Thanks, Dave.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you use steel just remember if your barrel is Mod for lead and you use steel it will be a full. Steel will choke your gn one size up. As for trap I have been told it will not brake targets as well as lead. Try one box each and look at your scores.

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

There are some clubs that require the use of steel shot, I believe the Skyway club in Tampa/St Pete requires steel because they shoot over a wetland. Or so I've been told, I haven't had the pleasure of shooting there, yet. I'd guess they'd be ok for singles if nothing else.

4. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

I have shot at Skyway in the St. Pete area - they do require steel shot due to their fall zone being near Sawgrass Park. I did not see any difference in my scores with steel shot. Shooting there is expensive - about $15 per round when you buy the shells from their clubhouse. I think it was $8 plus tax for shells and $7.50 for the targets.

5. Dave P

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dave,

Briley has special chokes for steel shot. You might consider purchasing one. Note they are rated differently per the chart which adjusts for the recommended difference automatically. I believe this is to avoid stretching a choke; not because the patterns are that different given the same constriction.

Steel shot can stretch a lead rated choke. I think I'm seeing that in one of my own IM chokes. It fits tighter going into the end of the bbl than it used to.

A choke vendor at the IL State shoot suggested an extended choke because of the extra metal in them - if I'm going to shoot a steel with a lead choke.

I don't know if a case of shells is enough to make a difference or not.

Anyway, let us know how you like the shells. The steel shells we sell at our club really get up and go. There's nothing like white bio dust against a black night sky.

Joe

7. Dave P

Joe: This a new SKB GC-7 with Briley with Comptition Series tubes.

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Better check with SKB and Briley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i use steel shot for trap

trap shooting using steel shot

using steel shot for trap shooting