1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USING RELOADS AT THE GRAND THIS YEAR

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DODGEMAN, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Last year we were able to shoot our reloads at the Grand American. Has anyone heard if we can do that this year.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Anything legal speed and weight is fine, DM.

Neil

3. trap55555

trap55555 TS Member

Thank you Neil, I was wondering the same thing myself.

4. trap55555

trap55555 TS Member

Oh yea, It allows me to shoot more events also.

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Makes sense to me. Spend a few thousand going to the Grand. Use a shotgun that costs thousands. And save a buck or two a box on shells instead of using the best there is. Logical. Jake

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

jakearoo:

Especially now days, there is not a factory shell on the market that even comes close to the quality one can load if they are good at it. The last time they made us shoot new shells at the grand, I had six duds on the first hundred of the Clay Target Championship. They were federal papers and I went to the federal building and stood in line behind at least 20 other people who had the same problem.

During that same year in a handicap event, I shot with two people shooting new AA's that had so many duds, by the third round they both had borrowed wad knockers to carry with them so they could finish the rest of that 100.

I shoot very few new shells anymore because of that and I am a shot shell dealer. It is not about the price difference to me, it is the quality one can obtain when you load your own.

Mark Rounds

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Not everybody who attends the Grand is loaded and part of the "money is no object" crowd. Many(including many past winners) shoot shotguns costing hundreds, not thousands. Quality reloads are no problem. As stated above I am seeing more and more "bloopers" from factory ammo these days. Also there are many kids and people with medical problems who don't take heavy recoil very well. Light loads are NOT plentiful in facory loadings. Contrary to popular belief you don't need warp speed to break a clay target, especially at 16 yards. I have sen people of a tight budget come to the Grand to experience it with very little extra cash to throw around. That 3 bucks a box they save(multiplied several times) can be used on food or lodging. It does make sense to me.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Jake, that statement of yours is not "logical".

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Shells are the cheap part. Use what you feel comfortable with. Save the $$$$ cost worries for the gas pump and hotel bill.

Rock

Jim

10. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

I think if you are comfortable and satisfied shooting reloads all year and like there results, use them. Do what you think works for you.

11. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

You bet!

STS hull, Winchester primer, 'bout 17.3 gr of Clays, fig 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz of 8s. Quickly, and lovingly, assembled by a 9000 MEC on top of an ATS.

Neatly stacked in an Estate box. Stored in flats until used.

Carried in a leather case with the outline of the state of Illinois and some lettering embossed in front.

Shell is better than I am and probably the most common reload to be found today.

You bet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.