1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Using paper towels in place of cotton cloth

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skipsor, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipsor

skipsor Member

I got lazy today and used paper towels, torn into quarters, to clean one of my guns instead of old t-shirt pieces that I usually use. I was surprised at how quickly they cleaned the bore.

My question is, will repeated use of paper towels damage the bore? First I used WD-40 to soften the plastic deposits and then used Hoppe's.

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I hqave been using paper towels for over 10 years, they work great and will not harm you bore. I took a piece of 5/8 inch dowel rod and attached a plastic handle to it and use on on everything remington to K80.

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

My favorite paper towels to use are the blue "shop towels" that come on a regular paper towel roll. They hold together better than Bounty.

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Been using strips of paper towel for a couple years now, they do a great job. I like the "brown" recycled paper ones if they are on sale, otherwise anything will do.

Greg

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No.

However, using your shooting buddies old crusty and soiled skivies may.

You can never be too careful!

Guy B.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It is one of the better kept secrets....it works better than cotton!

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Viva! Better than Bounty, they're not quilted, more like thin cloth. A roll last a long time. Don't catch them on you're ejectors.

Wayne

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Paper towels and a 5/8" dowel rod with CLP left in the barrels for a few days. Works great.....That CLP never stops cleaning....

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used VIVA Paper Towels for I guess over 10 years. They are close to cloth and as someone above has said, one roll lasts a long time.

Allen

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Woops.....

11. jliveng1

jliveng1 TS Member

I've been using paper towel that I roll up so that it's a snug fit in the bore. Does a great job of cleaning the entire bore in less passes than using a plain patch.

12. skipsor

skipsor Member

Guy B., where do you think I got the idea?

Roger C., I only use them in the bore, never on the blued portions.

13. JON R THOMPSON

JON R THOMPSON TS Member

Caution when useing with rifles! A very small piece of paper towel in my hunting partners rifle made a 50 yard Elk pack into a 3/4 mile one. A very small piece stopped the bolt from locking in his 7mm Remington. A quick check would have been easier then the 3/4 mile back pack of Elk quarters.

Jon

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

I have used them inside and outside my guns. i guess my finish is better than the towels cause nothin hurt yet. but i have only been doin it for 40 years maybe the wd40 protects from the abrasive towel. i use em to clean windows too

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I use paper shop towels (blue) in the bore with Clenzoil (if and when I clean it other than the bore snake) then I use Microfiber towels from Sam's Club on the rest of the gun, they come 25 in a package for $11.97, and they work great ... I then usually wipe the gun down with Clenzoil and never worry about it after that ... I use the Clenzoil on wood, leather, and my guns, the stuff is great ... I use old T-shirts when I have them, cut into big strips so they fit really tight ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Does this give a clue about why we don't want to dry our shooting glasses with paper towels when we clean them?

17. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have been using paper towels as 'patches' to clean guns since basic training.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get quality paper towels, because those that tear easily when wet leave bits and pieces in the gun, plus some leave nasty fuzz. I prefer old underwear and tshirts for wipes and commercial gun cleaning patches for bores, but paper towels will work in a pinch. Also, they are cheap for nasty cleanup of actions.

As for wear in the bore, back in the blackpowder days many bullets were paper-patched. The bullet is wrapped in paper, and the paper engages the lands and grooves, not the lead bullet. A dead soft lead bullet can be used. The bores were polished clean, and the bores has a lot less fouling shot to shot than lead bullets with lube.

19. missed some

missed some TS Member

Hmm i use em on guns windows and glasses

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used them for many years inside and out on all my guns. I dont even own any rags - I like to tear off a 4" X 4" or so piece and wrap it around a brass brush on a cleaning rod. The brush holds it well. Stick it in the breech end of barrell about 2" in and pour a little shooters choice in a scrub. When I used to get plastic buildup I would use electrical cleaner first but since I quit using the claybusters and went to DR wads I have none

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.